Gorsuch Obliterates Charges of Not Standing for ‘Little Man’

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Gorsuch Obliterates Charges of Not Standing for ‘Little Man’

Message 1 of 12

And while Gorsuch was testifying on what a great SCOTUS judge he would be, over at the Supreme Court, they were saying that his opinion on Disability Education Act was 100% WRONG.  The Court voted 8-0 to overturn his decision.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Jim, do ya think Gorsuch appreciates our fine Senator from Minnesota?

I have a couple of thoughts here...

1) I don't think Judge Gorsuch thinks Al Frankin is a fine Senator but maybe a failed comedian.  Gorsuch may be in the minority then.

2) Judge Gorsuch will be a Supreme Court Justice soon. Yes, he will, unless he trips over himself before the vote and that appears very unlikely.  IMO, he would have made a MUCH better next Supreme Court Justice after the next justice retirement,

Thanks for asking, I did not know you were from Minnesota, I had connected you to South Carolina for some reason...Oh your reasoning is pretty good on this point....I do own a couple of properties in SC and am from the DC area.  Moved to MN in the early naughts.  Good memory though....even kudo worthy.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

I pretty much heard practically the whole thing on Radio I was driving back home from So. Florida. 
Frankly, I don't care what any Democrat said or didn't say. IN this situation, This gentleman is by his words on the right side of Scalia. and that is something that it was expected at this time.

It is a waste of time for the Democrat to put any fight or enphasis in this firght, it is not worth it. and in the end because of where the votes stand he will be confirmed. and that is that.
Therefore, they should put their strengh and fight is getting as many Democrats electected in 2018  and see how much this can stop this catastrophe.
We are now on dangerous ground with North Korea. and I am sure no one wants to see a crisis so early in this Administration, Especially with a President that obviously cannot keep his mouthy shut.
Let's see if we can wheather this storm and see how we can fix any of this.

no name
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Gorsuch Obliterates Charges of Not Standing for ‘Little Man’

Message 4 of 12

There's no doubt Gorsuch will be our next Supreme Court justice. Although I disagree with his politics, he does seem to be a legal scholar and a brilliant justice. That makes me feel good. 

Unforunately, the Republican treatment of Merrick Garland was despicable. He too would have made a sterling Supreme Court justice. In fact, if he were nominated by Trump, Garland would probably get universal support among Republicans.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I have a couple of thoughts here...

1) I don't think Judge Gorsuch thinks Al Frankin is a fine Senator but maybe a failed comedian.

2) Judge Gorsuch will be a Supreme Court Justice soon.

Thanks for asking, I did not know you were from Minnesota, I had connected you to South Carolina for some reason...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

@Roxanna35 wrote:

One of the things that I don't like about the Supreme Court is that they have a life time job. and they in a way, have the opportunity to act like Kings and Queens in a democracy.  Yep.  Part of an outdated Constitution....just like the electoral college and the interpretation of the 2nd amendment.  Folks forget that the life expectantcy in the 1700's, when the Constitution was written, was only 40 years. 

I have only one comment about this gentleman.  I understand that he sees the laws as it was written and intended at the time that it was written and then applies the modern time as to its conclusion. but, I see that, by doing that, in a way he disregards the moral part of the issue.  Yep, he follows the law and supposedly, doesn't legislate from the bench.

So  yes applies the law but if the laws doesn't take into consideration the morality or the issue, too bad.  Many laws provide no flexibility.

That  kind of inflexibility is in my view dangerous. Fair opinion....it is what it is.  More Clinton voters should have showed up at the polls.  but I guess that many Constitutionalists and Originalists will be having a great time.  Maybe.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

One of the things that I don't like about the Supreme Court is that they have a life time job. and they in a way, have the opportunity to act like Kings and Queens in a democracy.

I have only one comment about this gentleman.  I understand that he sees the laws as it was written and intended at the time that it was written and then applies the modern time as to its conclusion. but, I see that, by doing that, in a way he disregards the moral part of the issue.
So  yes applies the law but if the laws doesn't take into consideration the morality or the issue, too bad. 
That  kind of inflexibility is in my view dangerous. but I guess that many Constitutionalists and Originalists will be having a great time.

no name
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

We need an operational SCOTUS

We have one, it just has eight justices, in the event of a tie the case gets kicked back to the lower court.

Actually I'm fine with that , we can have eight justices until Republicans appoint a acceptable candidate to Democrats or they override the filibuster on Supreme Court Justices.

Gorsuch was on board  for the torture of prisoners warrant less surveillance under the Bush administration.

Not a good choice for the SCOTUS IMO.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

He has been impressive so far...  Looks like he'd be a SCJ I could support.

No matter what the outcome of these hearings of any other political event in Washington DC,  a 'conservative' candidate WILL fill the vacant 'conservative' seat. 'Why' is immaterial and irrelevant.  The current candidate, so far, has shown himself to be a rational and credible candidate.  Some of his 'beliefs' do not coincide with liberal 'beliefs'. 

IF he can show he has been AND can be completely rational and objective in his handling and interpretation of the law, it doesn't make sense to obstruct his appointment.  The alternative[s], given that we have at least 3 years and 9 months remaining of this administration, is not something I want to contemplate.  We need an operational SCOTUS to keep us intact until we change that....we can hope for the good health of all of the Justices until then.  You don't want to give 'the donald' another chance at it.  Pence either.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors