Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Google Exec Decries Trump’s Election: ‘How Do We Prevent It from Happening Again’

Message 1 of 48

Anyone...what is the meaning or implication of “dimms”?

I would at least like to know what I am being called!

Why is this being hidden?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Google Exec Decries Trump’s Election: ‘How Do We Prevent It from Happening Again’

Message 2 of 48

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

By the way, I'm not on the left. I am and always have been an Independent moderate who believes in honesty, integrity, character, and the value of the TRUTH.

Describing Trump voters as a "cult" is not even close to being name calling. It's a description of behavior that any objective observer would agree, meets all the elements of cult behavior. What are those characteristics?

In a cult, the members:

• will never disagree with their supreme leader
  • will never criticize their supreme leader
  • will never say anything negative about their supreme leader
  • they will change long held beliefs so they agree with the leader
  • they will take criticism of their leader personally
  • they will ignore FACTS and the TRUTH about their leader
  • Denial. I've never seen nor read about an active member who acknowledged it's a cult

I will try this again...

I have made several posts in this forum and explained that I find the word cult offensive.  You seem to use that particular word to describe anyone that supports President Trump.  Since I have told you on many occasions I find it offensive and you continue to use it, I can only read it one way.  it is YOUR intention to be offensive.

Therefore...  I started using the term dimms and never Trumpers to describe those people on this forum that do not support our President.

You usually get what you give in this world.

So, enjoy your day and your offensive language.

While I don’t get your concern about the “cult” term, aren’t we all old enough to agree two “wrongs” don’t make a right? Answering name calling with name calling is not an answer.

I actually agree with you.  

In this forum it seems we have lost the ability to treat each other with respect.  I will gladly stop using dimms and never Trumpers but I have already mentioned the "Cult" term offends me and we have a poster that uses it with the intention of offending.  When you bring something to the attention of another person and it is ignored, what do you suggest is a proper response.  After all we are senior adults, right?

So how else do adults find common ground  (concerning respect and civility) except to put it out there on the table and talk about it.  There seems to be very little interest in civility...  It is almost as if some have a need or desire to offend other people that have a differing opinion or ideology.  Aren't we all equal?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 48

@jimc91 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

By the way, I'm not on the left. I am and always have been an Independent moderate who believes in honesty, integrity, character, and the value of the TRUTH.

Describing Trump voters as a "cult" is not even close to being name calling. It's a description of behavior that any objective observer would agree, meets all the elements of cult behavior. What are those characteristics?

In a cult, the members:

• Denial. I've never seen nor read about an active member who acknowledged it's a cult

I will try this again...

I have made several posts in this forum and explained that I find the word cult offensive.  You seem to use that particular word to describe anyone that supports President Trump.  Since I have told you on many occasions I find it offensive and you continue to use it, I can only read it one way.  it is YOUR intention to be offensive.

Therefore...  I started using the term dimms and never Trumpers to describe those people on this forum that do not support our President.

While I don’t get your concern about the “cult” term, aren’t we all old enough to agree two “wrongs” don’t make a right? Answering name calling with name calling is not an answer.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 48

Certainly funny for trump to rail against Google, especially when he uses Twitter as his personal “weapon of mass destruction”. And also that we a “fairweather” president in trump...if there is support for him, those people are great. If people don’t support him, they are losers, criminals, fake news, or are not worthy. Viva la difference!

As far as cults,  we could have a cult of librarians...God forbid that they become angry or violent!

Okay, implication of cult? What about the implication of “dimms”? I have asked for the meaning, and that it not be used...no response for either. Just for the record, Azur once used the term “dims”...any guesses as to what he meant’

Google cannot give a National proclamation or make a National law to protect our Country safe from foreign interference, trump and repubs can...why haven’t they?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 48

Hi all,

This thread is starting to get off-topic. While you may have different opinions, please remember to be respectful of one another as our guidelines state: This is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You can read the full guidelines here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Thanks and happy posting!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 48

@jimc91 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

In a cult, the members:

I will try this again...Why?  You don't think you were clear previously?

I have made several posts in this forum and explained that I find the word cult offensive. So what?  You can choose to find anything offensive, just as I can find the term "police-hater" or "liberals are racists" offensive.  So?  I can whine about it, or discuss it.....or, ignore it!  You seem to think because you choose to be offended, others should stop and take notice.  Be accountable for your own discomfort, Jim.  Don't expect others to coddle you......or are you complaining to get the moderators attention?   

You seem to use that particular word to describe anyone that supports President Trump.  And you seem to ignore the fact CeeTee has been very clear on the definition of the term.  Should anyone care if anyone likes it or not?  Since I have told you on many occasions I find it offensive and you continue to use it, Oh my......I can only read it one way. Of course......

big·ot·ry  /ˈbiɡətrē/
noun

1. intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

it is YOUR intention to be offensive.  And it's clearly your intent to be offended....

Therefore...  I started using the term dimms and never Trumpers to describe those people on this forum that do not support our President.  Oh my.  "Dimms" is offensive.  Do you care?  "Never trumpers" is a term already in use to describe Conservatives who don't support trump.....the more objective and thoughtful Conservatives IMO.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 48

@jimc91 wrote:

@CriticalThinking I am all for Google and the social media giants having to play by the same rules as the media companies.  After all they are media based firms. They are?  What makes them "media based"? They are playing by their own rules and need to be called on it by the government. Why?  Aren't you for small, unintrusive government?   I guess unless you support the duly elected President, then you refer to us as "cult members..."  WRONG!  Some who support trump are objective and call him out when he is wrong; cult members cannot see objectively and would never criticize the fascist one.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 48

Well, a good start would be for every state to adopt the law where the electoral college votes in their state are all given to the candidate who actually won the general election.  Presto......no more coronations. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Google Exec Decries Trump’s Election: ‘How Do We Prevent It from Happening Again’

Message 9 of 48

Observation of political groups, how they behave, and how they act is one of the primary reasons we have a political forum at AARP. We are supposed to make those observations and then express our opinions. That's the very reason for the existence of a political forum. If for some bizarre reason, someone finds those observations offensive, it's unfortunate, but we have no control over their reaction. However, this is our job in a political forum, to observe, research, and analyze political groups and their behavior. 

If I were in a position where I didn't like what was said about a particular political group, I would try to debate/argue why they believe those observations are inaccurate or wrong. But you never see that type of debating here. Instead of debating/arguing in a responsible manner, the response is an expression of anger or a threat. I can't control why people do that, but I can explain it, maybe some other time.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 48

@CriticalThinking wrote:

In a cult, the members:

I will try this again...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors