Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Global Climate Strike

Message 91 of 130

Last week, there was a pro-ICE rally in front of the County Council Building here in Montgomery County. I think it was a Friday as well. There was a counter protest too. But kids at the local high school were allowed to go join the protest (or counter protest) as they chose.

Does it change your mind if the cause they championed was a conservative one? 

Our school system allowed it because it is part of our civic duty to be involved. What better way to teach that than to let kids DO that?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 130

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:
If you don't like OAC's Green New Deal proposal, why don't you support the proposal the regressives have put together?

AOC is a leftist windbag.  Why would anyone support her "new Green Deal" which just transfers money to others and accomplishes nothing positive?  The right doesn't pretend they have a plan to FIX the climate because they don't know how to control the climate which the left is only privy to!

I would love to see the financial studies you are using in these comments. Because the Green New Deal is simply a set of ambitions and not a set of policies, it is impossible to put a price tag on it yet you seem to have some pretty strong opinions.  Assuming the GND took the path of a carbon tax and used the proceeds to pay for the other items, the costs to the public would be quite reasonable. But, I have not seen your numbers yet so perhaps the professionals are wrong. 

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 130

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I posted..

I think the students learn about climate change in school.....if not they should.

We have the radicals instilling in the minds of people that the sky is falling and the world will end in 20,30,40 years (pick your year) if we do not do away with fossil fuels .

And its the left that are scaring the ignorant but I think you know that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the same left just had to come out and put down what I have to say....one after the other again and again...I post and they they are (you know who you are).

At one time we were able to discuss the issues ..that day I see is over.

Judging by the turn-out of millions of students across the world, NOT just the USA, I'd say they are learning about climate change in school and obviously, those schools supported them in voicing their concerns on a school day.  You cannot tell me the pictures are not impressive nor can you convince me the young people are all "ignorant" and easily "scared" by the left.

You may be giving the "radicals" too much credit in being able to influence that many people. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 130

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:
If you don't like OAC's Green New Deal proposal, why don't you support the proposal the regressives have put together?

AOC is a leftist windbag.  Why would anyone support her "new Green Deal" which just transfers money to others and accomplishes nothing positive?  The right doesn't pretend they have a plan to FIX the climate because they don't know how to control the climate which the left is only privy to!

"The right" doesn't have a plan for climate change because they continue to deny the obvious reason why our climate is changing.  They prefer unsubstantiated ludicrous opinion over scientific facts!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 130

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 130

@KidBoy2 wrote:
I posted..
I think the students learn about climate change in school.....if not they should.
Schools excusing student so they can protest....like they could not have waited to Saturday! Whats next?  It says a lot about our schools....not good......

Your initial issue was students protesting and missing a day of school to do so. 6 to 7 hours of their lives.  I have a question though regarding your, "our schools....not good".  Did you mean to include other countries schools also, "not good"?

Many posters have discussed, shared with you their opinions of your issue, to paraphrase (imo), weak, not valid, shallow.  I agree.  This protest was a demonstration by the planet's youth to express their concerns for THEIR futures.  I believe they learned more about themselves and the abilities they have to organize and present a global statement that would not have been possible had they sat in their desks for those few hours listening to one adult teach, no matter the subject.  They took the teacher's role.  That could not have happened on a Saturday.  How many do you imagine would have needed to tell their bosses they wanted the day off, rather than expressing the need for that with their parents and teachers?  Not quite the same thing is it?

What's next you ask.  Maybe the students of this nation will take another day off from school to protest being shot dead while in their classrooms, at the mall, in church, at the theatre, etc.  They would be messaging to adults the same thing, 'Care about our lives PLEASE!'

I am greatly encouraged and very proud of each and every student throughout the world who stood up and said, 'Pay attention!"  There is hope for this world when people can globally make their concerns for the planet's life and their lives known in a matter of minutes.  I think it is you Kid who missed the lessons taught by the students.  The issue.....is not missing a school day.  If you are not able to comprehend that then you are correct and I concede.  Discussion of this global student protest with you is not possible.  Disrespecting the concerns of the youth of the world with triviality is abhorrent.

Photos: What the youth climate strike looks like around the world

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/9/20/20875523/youth-climate-strike-fridays-future-ph...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 130

I posted..

We have the radicals instilling in the minds of people that the sky is falling and the world will end in 20,30,40 years (pick your year) if we do not do away with fossil fuels .

And its the left that are scaring the ignorant but I think you know that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see the same left just had to come out and put down what I have to say....one after the other again and again...I post and they they are (you know who you are).

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 130

@KidBoy2 wrote:

That does not make sense.

Stop and smell the roses...took what we have done and are doing to reduce our use on fossil fuels. Things are changing but they will not change as fast as the Green New Deal want. Actually, they are. We are closing coal and gas fired plants before their useful life is at an end because solar, wind, and other sources have become so much more efficient. Making it mandatory and putting in a timeline just makes the conversion process more efficient.  

Schools, as far as I know are teaching about climate change. They use fear and scare...which I see and hear from the media. They are not being realistic...are you? From what I read on this board most posters are not being realistic. Which scientific study on climate change is not realistic? THAT is what the schools are teaching.....science. All you need do is find ONE study which disproves the theory of man made climate change.  Should be easy to find one if you are correct.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" is a proverb and nursery rhyme, first recorded about 1628 in a collection of Scottish proverbs., which suggests if wishing could make things happen, then even the most destitute people would have everything they wanted.  The folks in Houston, along the waterfront in Florida, or the ones watching glaciers melt in Greenland are all pretty convinced the climate is changing and man is doing it.  The reason they are convinced of the change is what they are experiencing. The reason they think it is man made are all the scientific studies which support that theory and the complete absence of any studies which disprove the theory.
If you don't like OAC's Green New Deal proposal, why don't you support the proposal the regressives have put together? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL  

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Releases Green New Deal Outline

What are the specifics of that framework?

The bill calls for a "10-year national mobilizations" toward accomplishing a series of goals that the resolution lays out.

(Note: Ocasio-Cortez's office released an updated version of the bill on Thursday. The earlier version, which we had included in a prior version of this story, is still available here.)

Among the most prominent, the deal calls for "meeting 100 percent of the power demand in the United States through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources." The ultimate goal is to stop using fossil fuels entirely, Ocasio-Cortez's office told NPR, as well as to transition away from nuclear energy.

In addition, the framework, as described in the legislation as well as a blog post — containing an updated version of "FAQs" provided to NPR by Ocasio-Cortez's office — calls for a variety of other lofty goals:

"upgrading all existing buildings" in the country for energy efficiency;
working with farmers "to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions ... as much as is technologically feasible" (while supporting family farms and promoting "universal access to healthy food");
"Overhauling transportation systems" to reduce emissions — including expanding electric car manufacturing, building "charging stations everywhere," and expanding high-speed rail to "a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary";
A guaranteed job "with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations and retirement security" for every American;
"High-quality health care" for all Americans.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 130

In pictures: People around globe protest climate change

God bless them, for they shall inherit the earth.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 130

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MsStretch posted...

When did our generation stop caring? We used to care about the earth and the environment. Did we stop giving a crap when it became apparent that we dodged the bullet and most of us probably won't suffer the extreme dire consequences? Many of us still DO care, but alas, we will be known as the generation who dropped the ball.

Statements like berating schools for teaching and encouraging students to think about their future and allowing them to take an active part and speak their opinion are just plain ignorant and do nothing to help dispel that unfortunate legacy of the babyboomers. How dare the schools be so irresponsible not to teach students they're allowed to think about their future, but not on a school day; only on the weekend and their own time! Au contraire, I'd say they were doing their job, preparing the young people for the future and urging them to take an active role and participate in something they truly believe in and that is a GOOD thing. The climate strike was a valuable learning lesson, not just for the students, but for the REST of the world.

====================================================

That does not make sense.

Stop and smell the roses...took what we have done and are doing to reduce our use on fossil fuels. Things are changing but they will not change as fast as the Green New Deal want.

Schools, as far as I know are teaching about climate change. They use fear and scare...which I see and hear from the media. They are not being realistic...are you? From what I read on this board most posters are not being realistic.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" is a proverb and nursery rhyme, first recorded about 1628 in a collection of Scottish proverbs., which suggests if wishing could make things happen, then even the most destitute people would have everything they wanted.

You don't get it, do you?  Things might be changing, but it is NOT FAST enough.  The WH put out an official report that says enough with the complacency, we need to step it up.. You seem to think we have done our part, so what's the urgency?  Sure, I've got plenty of time... maybe.  But the next generations are not going to take that BS and if they had to unite ACROSS THE WORLD on a school day,  I wholeheartedly applaud and support them!

Your proverb about wishes makes no sense.  There are those who say, "We CAN" and those who say "We can't because it isn't realistic".  Nothing to do with wishing; it's about JUST DO IT, no excuses and the young people have made it plain they aren't going to listen to any more excuses from the "curmudgeon generation" (said a sign).

BTW, I would like to keep smelling the roses, but for how long will that be possible?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors