Honored Social Butterfly

Garry Kasparov: The danger of nominating Sanders

Garry Kasparov: The danger of nominating Sanders

Opinion by Garry Kasparov

This is an op-ed from former Russian Chess Champion Garry Kaparov on why it would be so dangerous to nominate Bernie Sanders.. Here's a brief sample from the article, which I consider must reading. 

"It would be a cruel twist to have a president who admires Russia's current dictatorship running against a challenger who praised our old one."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/opinions/danger-of-nominating-sanders-kasparov/index.html

Honored Social Butterfly

Always remember, the election will be decided in the purple (battleground) states, primarily PA. Mich. Wisc, Ohio, and FL. Here's another keen observation from this op-ed.

"The Electoral College is an archaic mess, but it still exists. Sanders would need record turnout among young people to even have a chance against Trump in Midwestern swing states. Florida is likely long gone for Sanders after his comments about Cuba and Israel. Pennsylvania would lose hundreds of thousands of jobs under Sanders' fracking ban."

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Unlike another forum member, I see value in this op-ed Here's just one of several examples:

"Trump routinely fawns over authoritarians, and these vile tendencies make him a danger to the rule of law in the US and the world. I am uniformly anti-authoritarian and am happy to condemn Sanders and Trump. The question is what all this will mean to swing voters in swing states, where Sanders' leftist brand of criticizing America won't play well."

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Unlike another forum member, I see value in this op-ed Here's just one of several examples:

"Trump routinely fawns over authoritarians, and these vile tendencies make him a danger to the rule of law in the US and the world. I am uniformly anti-authoritarian and am happy to condemn Sanders and Trump. The question is what all this will mean to swing voters in swing states, where Sanders' leftist brand of criticizing America won't play well."

Pardon me but reality is that Sanders would no more cow tow to Russia and Putin than you or I would.  I understand your need to constantly discredit Sanders but I as far as references go, using this one is really reaching for straws.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Garry Kasparov annoys me no end. His book, Winter is Coming, annoyed me no end. His op-eds annoy me no end. He looks back into the past, sees things that are crystal clear in hindsight, then claims to have seen them coming beforehand. 

He was a great chess player, I'll give him that. One of the best ever. Great chess players can be prima donnas and now Kasparov is a prima donna without the chess. Garry, you have never told me anything I, and millions of other people didn't already know, and, by the way, you annoy me no end.

Shut up and go back to chess or take up tiddly-winks or something constructive.

Honored Social Butterfly

Okay. Kas may be a dinosaur repeating old info. Except I might only disagree on one point, apparently not enough millions are aware of, or denounce American politicians contacts or connections to russia...that is not good, especially if in support of putin's agenda against the US. 

Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

Okay. Kas may be a dinosaur repeating old info. Except I might only disagree on one point, apparently not enough millions are aware of, or denounce American politicians contacts or connections to russia...that is not good, especially if in support of putin's agenda against the US. 

And how many of those millions do you think read Garry Kasparov? Because I've read plenty by Mr. Kasparov (including his book in which he claims to have foreseen every mistake in American foriegn policy in Kosovo, Bosnia, Russia, and throughout Eastern Europe). Plenty of us saw those mistakes ourselves when we lived through that time and were paying attention.

Have I mentioned he annoy... I probably have.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png