Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GOP yawns at Trump shutdown threat

Message 1 of 6

I remember when PATCO pretty much yawned at Reagan's threats.

We shall see......

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

@n566192l wrote:

Can anyone please refresh my memory Government  Shutdown means.. ....

Mostly it means we lose a lot of services while simply deferring payment to the government employees who provide those services.  The government has some areas it considers critical like the military and those people must continue to work.  Trump is planning to keep the parks people as well because closed parks is what  lot of voters actually notice. After the government is "back" for a few weeks, some Congress person will put in a bill to pay the salaries of the people they laid off. Of course, it does not cover the non-government employees where services have been outsourced so lots of security guards, janitors, and kitchen workers will be losing cars and homes so Trump can brag about how tough he is as he flies to his next weekend vacation playing golf. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Thankyou oceanedge2 for your reply to my post.  Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Can anyone please refresh my memory Government  Shutdown means.. ....

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

GOP yawns at Trump shutdown threat

Message 6 of 6

I don't expect any Republicans to be able to follow this long an article but the gist is that Congress has, pretty much, relegated Trump to the children's table. It was said at the beginning of the year that once Trump signed the tax decrease and deficit increase bill, his usefulness to the party was gone. Based on the responses the GOP leadership is giving, I would say they will pretend Trump is a viable president until after the mid terms and then start cutting him out of the herd with every tweet.  

Gotta get ready for the 2020 primaries, you know. 

President Donald Trump keeps threatening a government shutdown over his border wall. And Republican leaders keep ignoring his warnings.

The congressional GOP is intent on sending Trump a series of government spending bills over the next two months that would fund the vast majority of the federal government. And despite the president’s statement on Monday that he would have “no problem doing a shutdown,” Republicans seem sure that he’s not talking about a funding lapse right before the midterm elections.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/30/trump-government-shutdown-republicans-750666

Kudos
Views
Replies