Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GOP next attack on Social Security and Medicare

Message 31 of 39

How very selfish of some. Those programs are scheduled to go "belly up" if something isn't done in 20 years or so. Seems like a case of "Just so I get mine, I don't care about the folks following me down this path".

Or maybe it is the neoMarxists, as always,  seeing the solution as being seizing the property of the successful to support the unsuccessful.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 39

Re—What happens to  people who haven’t reached 65 or 70 yet?

I don’t think the Republicans really care, but we do have a chance of having all this garbage turned around once we get a Democratic majority in both the Senate and the Congress, and get a democratically elected Democrat in the office. 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 39

this is a huge reason why nobody can become complacent as was the case in the 2016 election, which allowed the flipping of 87,000 people from Democrat to Republican to bring about the electoral college election of idiot in chief. 

Gee, I miss having a real president! 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 39

@mandm84 No matter what our status in life is, we must never lose

our faith in others. This uncaring thing called trump and his kool aid disciples are trying to split us up and make us fear each other. Let us reject all of them, they are not true leaders. We need to come to terms with the fact that they are in the minority. We need to come together as the majority that we are

and make necessary changes to lead our country away from trump. 

Let’s keep chipping away at them. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 39

The Amount Of Money that you have is not true wealth

True Wealth are Friends,Family That Care for you and who you Love and Loves you

I understand that the amount of money that you have in the bank

Gives you access to more comfortable things

But when you are alone or scared

Another person being there for you is True Wealth

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 39

If you're not wealthy , today's far right wing Plutocrats , could care less what happens to the poor and unhealthy. It's their fault they aren't wealthy.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 39

I am not surprised about the changes and financial cuts in Medicare and Social Security

When Social Security and Medicare funds are reduced

What happens to the people who haven't reached 65 or 70 yet 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 39

There have been proposals to fix Social Security made by both Democrats and Republican for at least the last 5 years.

Here is a list of them -

Social Security Administration - Proposals to Change Social Security

Read the last (5) years of report (Summaries) by the Social Security Trustees.

If nothing is done by about 2034 on Social Security, by law - the Social Security law- benefits would automatically be cut for all beneficiaries by about 23% because the Trust Fund would be insolvent.

Payroll taxes are no longer covering all the benefits being paid out and since more baby boomers are still retiring at a rate of about 10,000 a day for several more years, this is not correcting itself.

From the 2017 Social Security Trustee Report (Summary)

Conclusion

Lawmakers have many policy options that would reduce or eliminate the long-term financing shortfalls in Social Security and Medicare. Lawmakers should address these financial challenges as soon as possible. Taking action sooner rather than later will permit consideration of a broader range of solutions and provide more time to phase in changes so that the public has adequate time to prepare.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

GOP next attack on Social Security and Medicare

Message 39 of 39

It seems the next step after the tax legislation is to cut Social Security and Medicare. 

Marco Rubio (http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-gop-social-security-20171130-story.html)

Asked by interviewers Anna Palmer and Jake Sherman how to address the federal deficit, he replied: “We have to do two things. We have to generate economic growth which generates revenue, while reducing spending. That will mean instituting structural changes to Social Security and Medicare for the future.” 

http://www.newsweek.com/tax-plan-social-security-medicare-welfare-republicans-rubio-729133

Florida Senator Marco Rubio admits that the Republican tax cut plan to aid corporations and the wealthy will require cuts to Social Security and Medicare to pay for it.

Rubio told reporters this week that in order to address the federal deficit, which will grow by at least $1 trillion if the tax plan passes, Congress will need to cut entitlement programs such as Social Security. Advocates for the elderly and the poor have warned that entitlement programs would be on the chopping block, but this is the first time a prominent Republican has backed their claims.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors