With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GOP and Donald move forward with Genocide

Message 1 of 14

@RunningWithScissors9 wrote:

If I were a single mom, I would not be required to work for my medicaid.

Now why don't you ask about the able-bodied individuals with no parental responsibilities, the ones that actually will be asked to work for their benefits?

That would be great IF it were true, but it's not, so it's garbage. Just another Republican LIE to vilify the poor, the young, the old, the disabled, and anyone seeking an education who make up virtually all of that dreaded 47% who pay no Federal Income Tax and have no private medical coverage.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

Now why don't you ask about the able-bodied individuals with no parental responsibilities, the ones that actually will be asked to work for their benefits?

Because most people on Medicaid already work. Go ask one of your local Walmart employees. 

Kids make up almost half of Medicaid recipients.  If you look only at the adult population, most adults on Medicaid are women.  Most are working. About 20% are taking care of other relatives, because it’s almost always women who care for other relatives. Some are in school. A significant number are disabled.  These people are doing the best they can with what they’ve got.  Jobs require reliable transportation. Jobs require reliability. If your adult brother with cerebral palsy needs to go to the doctor, and you are the only one who can take him, will your employer be ok with missing work? If you are working hourly, will you drop below the mandated hourly work requirement?   If your regular babysitter is sick, who do you leave your kids with? Juggling kids or sick parents or disabled siblings plus a job is really difficult.  They do it. But they’ve found a job that can fit into their complicated, diffficult lives. To mandate certain hours or other conditions will certainly cause some people to lose coverage. 

And that’s very short-sighted. 

If you take health care away from women in their prime working years, you are by definition taking heath care away in their prime reproductive years. You will have an increase in unwanted births. A lack of appropriate prenatal care increases the risk of children born with more significant health problems, as well as maternal complications or even death.  Medicaid covers almost half of all births in the nation. Take it away and you have sicker, more disabled kids. 

Investing up front in health care contributes to a healthier population in the long run. A healthier population is a less costly population. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

@GailL1 wrote:

@oceanedge2

Most likely, your example, Greg, is disabled due to his brain injury and since Medicaid for those low income folks  ( income /asset level set by state) who are over age 65, disabled, children and pregnant women is a federal /state shared benefit - he would not have this work requirement.

The work requirement is for those who are low income, less than 65 and are not in one of the above classes - they are abled Bodied adults without children.

In Wisconsin, these abled Bodied people with low income are insured via a Wisconsin program called " Badgercare" - Badgecare is similar but not exactly like the ACA expanded Medicaid - think the income eligibility levels are different.  I believe Badgercare has been around since before the ACA.

Wisconsin Medicaid Programs including Badgercare info

It is ONLY these abled-Bodied Badgercare Medicaid receipients who are included in the work or other activities requirement and who will be paying

$ 8.00 a month in premiums.  

Think of this like a regular insurance program, where their premiums, abeit small, help to  pay some of the cost of the entire program of Badgercare - freeing up Medicaid money for those in more extreme need in the regular Medicaid program.

Just wanted to make sure everybody understood this difference - Wisconsin did not expand their Medicaid program under the ACA..  But Badgercare is very similar to it in who it covers although there maybe a difference in the income eligibility different than the ACA.

I really do not understand why you would try and post in detail about another state that did not expand Medicaid, and uses a program that they had before the ACA. We do know that state has been controlled by the far right for some years now, and has been making things harder for the average person. One thing I do know is that the Koch bros. have had a very large influence on the present Governor and that could be a big reason they did not expand medicaid. I did notice in your support that they are going to an HMO approach starting next year. They do tell people to call them with questions on any of the programs and that is all one should say in here about it. No one who does not live in the state knows anything about the programs they have from reading the material due to the fact you have to see how they interpret what is written, and therefore can not make people aware of anything because none of us know about the programs. Leave it to the local experts.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Gail, I understand class separation by age, affliction and finances.

Just wanted to make sure everybody understood this difference -

Wisconsin did not expand their Medicaid program under the ACA.....

Badgercare is very similar.....

think the income eligibility levels are different.....

there maybe a difference in the income eligibility different than the ACA.....

work or other activities requirement and who will be paying.....

freeing up Medicaid money for those in more extreme need in the regular Medicaid program.....

Think of this like a regular insurance program.....premiums, abiet small, help to  pay some of the cost of the entire program.

Imagine that.

I'll always believe Health Care for US citizens is the responsibility of the Federal Government to insure we all have access to affordable, quality care from our medical professionals.  That is THE legislation we can all live by.  With state's spending/saving and private enterprise wrangeling for a piece of the pie - best results for human health is not insured.

Our health care should not be anywhere near the stock market.  Think of it like this.  Good health is our priority number one.  A job we committ to as a nation.  It is the single most important United we have and we're doing a really bad job.  "Badgercare" may be good organization but it is not enough to insure a similar class of beneficiaries - in another state - would have a clue about that particular help.  Time to put the ball down, stop playing with people's lives.  Get serious and work to provide the services each citizen deserves to expect from their government.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

I sure wish that I received free money all these years.  Unfortunately, I felt a moral obligation to work for my money.

So who receives "free money"?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

@oceanedge2

Most likely, your example, Greg, is disabled due to his brain injury and since Medicaid for those low income folks  ( income /asset level set by state) who are over age 65, disabled, children and pregnant women is a federal /state shared benefit - he would not have this work requirement.

The work requirement is for those who are low income, less than 65 and are not in one of the above classes - they are abled Bodied adults without children.

In Wisconsin, these abled Bodied people with low income are insured via a Wisconsin program called " Badgercare" - Badgecare is similar but not exactly like the ACA expanded Medicaid - think the income eligibility levels are different.  I believe Badgercare has been around since before the ACA.

Wisconsin Medicaid Programs including Badgercare info

It is ONLY these abled-Bodied Badgercare Medicaid receipients who are included in the work or other activities requirement and who will be paying

$ 8.00 a month in premiums.  

Think of this like a regular insurance program, where their premiums, abeit small, help to  pay some of the cost of the entire program of Badgercare - freeing up Medicaid money for those in more extreme need in the regular Medicaid program.

Just wanted to make sure everybody understood this difference - Wisconsin did not expand their Medicaid program under the ACA..  But Badgercare is very similar to it in who it covers although there maybe a difference in the income eligibility different than the ACA.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14
MIseker posted..

most people on medicaid already work.

-----------------------------------------

Did you read the link? I think not. FYI...If they work they will not lose their Medicaid.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

I sure wish that I received free money all these years.  Unfortunately, I felt a moral obligation to work for my money.

Greg also felt his own moral obligation to work.  He lived by himself in an apartment over a mom&pop store.  Had a part time nursery & greenhouse assistant job for the longest time.  Bus fare, raincoats, lunchbox and then...money for his labors.  He's never known of the "free money" his sister receives and manages for him every month.  He/they did pay the bills with his earnings though, once a month.  Landlord/$25.  Heat/$15. etc.  His budget always worked, with some spending money for the week to spare.  Aside from his brain injury, the major source of his medical trials, he also has a ton of allergies.  Medication for Greg is free.  He and his sister fill all the boxes for morning, noon & night.  Greg only uses a purple pen to check them off with.  Once day a week is scheduled for house cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, maybe socks.  He gladly gives a fiver to his home health aid for her six hours of helping him work.  Again, Greg doesn't know she also works for the state and they pay her even more.

Mr. Run.  Free money does not eliminate Greg's morals.  Eliminating his medical, food and daily living supports is amoral.  The need to harm others in your moral obligation bucket is nothing to be proud of.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14
most people on medicaid already work.
So it begins.
Kudos