Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GOP Says - Mental Illness - Buy a Gun

Message 11 of 16

This reversal was not just the GOP thinking.  The vote was 57 to 43 so evidently there were some on the other side which took to heart that this was a civil rights issue.

The ACLU was also against this Obama rule as well as many mental disability group advocates.  

All of this was covered in your initial link.

If a person has violent tendencies as part of their mental illness, they most likely have been adjudicated or involuntarily committed if our system is working correctly.

As as for the others, they probably aren't anymore likely to do harm than the rest of society.  

As as we all know, sometimes those closest to the problem fail to report things or try to make everything alright and/or they themselves are part of the problem,  when in actuality they are doing the worst possible thing.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16
Thanks, Mick. The problem I see is that this only covers those people who are so mentally ill that they are not competent to take care of themselves. There are many others who are most likely a walking time bomb because they are not reported. I know people who are diagnosed with a problem and decide not to take the meds that were prescribed to help them. When someone is bi-polar for instance, the meds can make such a difference in their behavior. I have asked some why they choose not to continue the medication and they say they don't like not having the highs and lows. My personal opinion (I know sounds negative) is that we will never have a good fix for reporting people with these kinds of problems.

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

1. Federal law prohibits any person from selling or otherwise transferring a firearm or ammunition to any person who has been “adjudicated as a mental defective” or involuntarily “committed to any mental institution.”

However - No federal law requires states to report the identities of these individuals to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) database, which the FBI uses to perform background checks prior to firearm transfers.

2. Under Maryland law, when a person is admitted to a state facility providing mental health treatment for 30 consecutive days or more or has been involuntarily committed to a state facility, the following information must be reported to the NICS index:  1) the name and identifying information of the person admitted or committed; 2) the date the person was admitted or committed to the facility; and 3) the name of the facility to which the person was admitted or committed.2

A Maryland court must promptly report to the NICS database:  1) the name and identifying information of an individual; and 2) the date of a specific determination or finding, if that court:

• Determines that a person is “not criminally responsible” (i.e. committed to the state Health Department);
  • Finds that a person is incompetent to stand trial; or
  • Finds that the person should be under protection of a guardian because he or she cannot manage his or her affairs for mental health-related reasons (except for cases in which the appointment of a guardian is solely a result of a physical disability).3

Source - http://smartgunlaws.org/mental-health-reporting-in-maryland/

3. Forty-seven states have laws that require or authorize the reporting of some mentally ill people to the federal NICS database or a state database for use in firearm purchaser background checks.  As described below, the categories of individuals who are reported vary, as do the specific procedures and requirements involved.

Source - http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/mental-health-reporting/

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

@Soosie wrote:
Mick, I see a lot of people who seem to have obsessive compulsive behavior. What means do you think should be used to report this disorder and who is responsible to report? I ask because it is so difficult to get help from any agency. Many people just fall through the cracks. If there is a good way to report, I would like to know more about it.

Soosie

Great Question

Short Answer 

Obama's Rule - directed the Social Security Administraton 

The Obama administration rule required the Social Security Administration to send in the names of beneficiaries with mental impairments who also have a third party manage their benefits.

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16
Mick, I see a lot of people who seem to have obsessive compulsive behavior. What means do you think should be used to report this disorder and who is responsible to report? I ask because it is so difficult to get help from any agency. Many people just fall through the cracks. If there is a good way to report, I would like to know more about it.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

GOP Says - Mental Illness - Buy a Gun

Message 16 of 16

WASHINGTON — The Republican-led Senate voted Wednesday to block an Obama-era regulation that would prevent an estimated 75,000 people with mental disorders from being able to purchase a firearm. The measure now goes to President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it.

The regulation was crafted as part of President Barack Obama's efforts to strengthen the federal background check system in the wake of the 2012 massacre of 20 young students and six staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

Adam Lanza, a 20-year-old man with a variety of impairments, including Asperger's syndrome and obsessive-compulsive disorder, shot and killed his mother at their home, then went to school where he killed the students, adults and himself.

This is Adam Lanza's Gun - that he used to kill 20 Elementary School Students

AK 47.png

Source - http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/congress-blocks-rule-barring-mentally-impaired-purchasing-guns-n...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies