Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
219
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

219 Views
Message 51 of 69
@KidBoy2 wrote:
mick posted..

FACT - there is no Federal Law that prevents Health Insurance Companies from Competing Across State Lines
========================================================

It could be we will get a Federal law that will let Health Insurance Companies to sell in every state.

FYI...

OUT-OF-STATE HEALTH INSURANCE - ALLOWING PURCHASES

On This Page
Federal Health Reform Legislation and Actions
Enacted Laws

NCSL Contact
Health Program
Updated: 1/3/2017
Richard Cauchi, NCSL Health Program
A State Implementation Report

Insurance firms in each state are protected from interstate competition by the federal McCarran-Ferguson Act (1945), which grants states the right to regulate health plans within their borders. Large employers who self-insure are exempt from these state regulations. The result has been a patchwork of 50 different sets of state regulations; the cost for an insurer licensed in one state to enter another state market is often high. A growing number of state legislators are interested in whether some states allow or facilitate the purchase of health insurance across state boundaries or from out-of-state regulated companies. NCSL's state health insurance research and tracking shows a gradually growing number of states (at least 21 as of December 2016) and state legislators considering this idea during the past eight years and continuing to the present (listed below).
Note that “self-insured” or “self-funded” health coverage usually offered by large employers (especially with 500+ employees) is not regulated by states and is guided by the federal ERISA law, administered by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Federally authorized “health savings accounts” and accompanying High Deductible Health Policies (HDHPs) are exempt from much of state regulation, including some state mandates.

____________________________________________

 

C+ for Effort - but actually reinforces my point - There is no current Federal Law that prevents Health Insurance Companies from selling across State Lines

 

McCarran-Ferguson Act - protects states who do not WANT to allow interstate selling but again it does not prevent those states who WANT to allow it

 

The McCarran–Ferguson Act does not itself regulate insurance, nor does it mandate that states regulate insurance.

 

It provides that "Acts of Congress" which do not expressly purport to regulate the "business of insurance" will not preempt state laws or regulations that regulate the "business of insurance."[1]

 

The Act also provides that federal antitrust laws will not apply to the "business of insurance" as long as the state regulates in that area, but federal anti-trust laws will apply in cases of boycott, coercion, and intimidation. By contrast, most other federal laws will not apply to insurance whether the states regulate in that area or not.[2]

 

In Fact, Several US States Do In Fact Allow by Law Cross State Sales of Health-Insurance

 

Signed State Laws Allowing Outof-State Sales of Health Policies

 

  • Rhode Island was the first state to pass an out-of-state purchasing law, signed in 2008, to create a regional health insurance compact, similar to the design later authorized by the PPACA in 2010.
  • Wyoming was the first state, in March 2010, to enact a signed law based on the free-market model but also including a multi-state compact related to federal health reform.
  • Georgia, HB 47 - Signed into law May 2011, in the first state with a law drafted and passed since the federal Affordable Care Act became law. 
  • Kentucky (HB 265 - Signed into law, 2012).
  • Maine (HB 979 - Signed into law, 2011; effective date Jan.1, 2014). Cross State Healthcare.png

     

     

 

 

 

Sources

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran%E2%80%93Ferguson_Act

 

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/out-of-state-health-insurance-purchases.aspx

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
219
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
220
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

220 Views
Message 52 of 69

@KidBoy2 wrote:
afisher posted..

Joke of the day: As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer.

Name an example of any country that delivers Healthcare via the mantra written by far righter.

=========================================================

Our healthcare is mostly run by our government so its not a free market.


KidBoy, you didn't name a country that delivers healthcare according to   " As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer."

 

Why didn't you?


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
220
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
219
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

219 Views
Message 53 of 69

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

mick,

They are also assuming that the marketplace isn't slanted for the companies and away from the consumer.


As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer. 


And that's so because you say so?  Can you show any data or source that proves that to be true in relationship to health insurance?


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
219
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
219
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

219 Views
Message 54 of 69

@KidBoy2 wrote:
afisher posted..

Joke of the day: As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer.

Name an example of any country that delivers Healthcare via the mantra written by far righter.

=========================================================

Our healthcare is mostly run by our government so its not a free market.


How is it run by the Government.  It is free market and that is the problem.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
219
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
221
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

221 Views
Message 55 of 69

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

mick,

They are also assuming that the marketplace isn't slanted for the companies and away from the consumer.


As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer. 


You must be drinking the corporate koolaid.  Our form of capitalism is more a form of cronie capitalism and requires the government to keep the playing field level, not stand back and do nothing.  Ever hear of a little company called Enron and energy deregulation?  Deregulation in the banks was good?  I suppose we shouldn't even have regulations that actually require you to be a university if you advertise yourself as one?  Competition only works to the benefit of the consumer when there is truly competition occuring, not companies occupying niches and staying out of the way of others.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
221
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
233
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

233 Views
Message 56 of 69
afisher posted..

Joke of the day: As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer.

Name an example of any country that delivers Healthcare via the mantra written by far righter.

=========================================================

Our healthcare is mostly run by our government so its not a free market.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
233
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
237
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

237 Views
Message 57 of 69

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Republicans want Insurance companies to operate across State lines for the same reason they let credit card companies operate across State lines - it allows them to screw the customer legally because only the laws of the state they're incorporated in apply to their operations - SCOTUS said so back in the 60's. In the case of credit card companies, they all created legal fictions of being in North Dakota that had no usary laws, which is how you can wind up paying fees and interest that would make a Mafia Don blush instead of the fairly standard "1% per month on the unpaid balance" most of us had BEFORE that GOPer great idea.

 

GOPers also want to allow companies to sell worthless policies that were banned under PPACA because the GOPers know there's lots of mathematically challenged young people out there who will waste their money on policies that are nothing but "cash cows" for the companies and provide no real coverage for the consumer. Republicans say "that's FREEDOM" when it's really more legalized screwing of the 99%.


That last part assumes that 99% of our population are freeloading slugs. I really think that you have a low opinion of your fellow citizens.

 

Most people are quite content to make their own way in life and are not looking to the government to steal another persons property for their own personal benefit.

 

This envy of the property of others is, I believe, contained to a very small portion of our population who obsess over the 1% and the 99%. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
237
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
240
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

240 Views
Message 58 of 69

   Joke of the day:   As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer. 

 

    Name an example of any country that delivers  Healthcare via the mantra written by far righter. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
240
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
242
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

242 Views
Message 59 of 69

@afisher wrote:

   GOP are now caught in their own lie.    They have been going around saying that ACA will implode and/or is in a Death Spiral.       Well now the CBO is reporting that is not true. 

 

     1.    Let us be real clear here:    The Debt reduction is because the GOP have decided to unfund Medicaid.   The legislation is an enormous tax cut that’s financed by long-term cuts to Medicaid.

This tax cut sets the table for House Republicans’ plan for a massive reform of the overall tax code, so it’s integral to their overall legislative agenda. And because the Medicaid cuts have more and more bite over time, they ensure there is long-term deficit reduction in a legislation package that includes big permanent tax cuts.

 

2.   Congressional Budget Office’s official score of the American Health Care Act also quietly demolishes the central publicly stated rationale for repealing the Affordable Care Act. The key passage is a somewhat jargon-full sentence on the second page of the report that says, “In CBO and JCT’s assessment, however, the nongroup market would probably be stable in most areas under either current law or the legislation.” 

 

   So a two-fer in lies, that is the Republicans and Donald lying and lying- because many of the supporters are possibly too stupid to do anything but nod their bobble heads.   Sigh


Are we forgetting that Jonathan Gruber one of the architects of Obamacare clearly stated that they lied to fool the stupid people about that disaster?

 

Now, there is a SIGH for you.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
242
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
243
Views

Re: GOP - Marketplace Competition Will Save You

243 Views
Message 60 of 69

@sp362 wrote:

mick,

They are also assuming that the marketplace isn't slanted for the companies and away from the consumer.


As long as the market is kept truly free by regulation, competition works to the benefit of the consumer. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
243
Views