From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GOP Congressional candidate: Raping your wife should not be a crime if "she is in a nightie"

Message 11 of 108

In Response to Re: GOP Congressional candidate: Raping your wife should not be a crime if "she is in a nightie":

In Response to Re: GOP Congressional candidate: Raping your wife should not be a crime if "she is in a nightie":

I won't specify which part.  

Why? 

Why, not?    snark.

Posted by alferdpacker

no

I didn't think so... 

Posted by Centristsin2010

How nice for you........

Then that means you understand the needlessness and ultimate futility of continuing that particular discussion any further.

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: GOP Congressional candidate: Raping your wife should not be a crime if "she is in a nightie"

Message 12 of 108

Why? 

Why, not?    snark.

Posted by alferdpacker

no

I didn't think so... 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 108

In Response to Re: GOP Congressional candidate: Raping your wife should not be a crime if "she is in a nightie":...

I agree that our ethical standards are similar...though referencing the first sentence, did you disagree with anything I posted in post # 91?

Why, yes, I did.

Posted by alferdpacker

Really? Which part?

Why? 

Why, not?    snark.

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 108

You got your opinions - I got mine.   Whatever. 

I think our ethical standards both are close enough on this subject to agree that RIchard "Dick" Black's moral and ethical standards as defined by his statement about marital rape indicates that he should more properly be tailgunner on a garbage truck instead of campaigning for an elective office.  .........  Or maybe not.

Posted by alferdpacker

I agree that our ethical standards are similar...though referencing the first sentence, did you disagree with anything I posted in post # 91?

Why, yes, I did.

Posted by alferdpacker

Really? Which part?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 108

I think our ethical standards both are close enough on this subject to agree that RIchard "Dick" Black's moral and ethical standards as defined by his statement about marital rape indicates that he should more properly be tailgunner on a garbage truck instead of campaigning for an elective office.  .........  Or maybe not.

Posted by alferdpacker

I agree that are ethical standards are similar...though referencing the first sentence, did you disagree with anything I posted in post # 91?

Why, yes, I did.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 108

Posted by alferdpacker

I agree that are ethical standards are similar...though referencing the first sentence, did you disagree with anything I posted in post # 91?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 108

I know you would. I consider many of the posters up here friends, and I hate to see my friends get into fights when I suspect they agree on the fundamentals.

I think we also agree that these tea party candidates have a tin ear where women are concerned.

Posted by cat2011

I would believe that spousal abuse or even bias of any kind knows no partisanship among some.  But the tea party followers seem to be among the worse.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 108

I know you would. I consider many of the posters up here friends, and I hate to see my friends get into fights when I suspect they agree on the fundamentals.

I think we also agree that these tea party candidates have a tin ear where women are concerned.

In Response to Re: GOP Congressional candidatI e: Raping your wife should not be a crime if "she is in a nightie":

I suspect we're splitting hairs. If Tx were on a jury hearing a case of marital abuse, I think he would be the first to support the woman. The problem with Black's statement is that he makes it seem as though rape occurs in ordinary marriages as a result of a woman's teasing. It doesn't, and it wouldn't get prosecuted if those were the facts. I agree that no means no, but that is a legal prescription made several decades ago to make the prosecution of rape easier. For all practical purposes, marital rape is hard to prosecute without corrobrating abuse.

What Black is demonstrating is the GOP's continuing tin ear for women's concerns. Many women know others who have been abused, possibly the victims of marital rape, and so this kind of statement strikes a special chord.

Posted by cat2011

Thanks for the support, and you are entirely correct.  And this should be a dignified and civil discussion without the accusatory personalities.  That is the problem with these discussions as inevitably someone attempts to turn them into personalities.  Several seems to delight in twisting posts around.

And my feelings not only refer to people, but to animals or any living thing.  I will almost drive into a ditch to avoid hitting a squirrel on the road.  And in fact have taken a dog from a neighbor because he was mistreating it, and then dared him to report me.  He didn't.  I later found a good home for it with someone I knew would treat him decently.

But the whole discussion seems to have deviated from the main topic into accusations of one sort of the other, and seems to be going off topic again.

Posted by TxGrandpa2

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 108

Both Tx and Cent have a conflict - it seems to have begun when the Paula Deen nonsense began, and escalated over allegations that the culture she was somewhat a symbol of is or isn't a corrupted and antiquated remnant of the postbellum southern culture and the Jim Crow South of the pre-civil rights laws.   They've been sniping at each other ever since.   I've noticed that they're fine provided you agree with them.........

Posted by alferdpacker

Naw...way off base.  Basically, I don't recall a single disagreement between Tex and I on any issue here until I posted the first topic about the NSA and Snowden.  We disagreed and of course called me a Conservative. Over 10,000 posts for each of us and that was the first disagreement.  I posted several times that intelligent people can disagree on topics, but as Tex does, he goes on and on and on...just as he's done with EZ, Kidboy, Kov, etc.....and I have, to a lesser degree.  In fact, since that time, I have agreed with several of his posts and have posted such.  He respond sarcasticly...as usual, holding the grudge.

It's actually quite similar with you and I, A.P.  I don't recall you and I disagreeing at all, on any subject, until the Zimmerman/Martin verdict was read when you said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Anyone who thinks Zimmerman was not guilty is a racist."  And we heatedly disagreed with each other.

I find it rather telling that you can agree with the both of you (Liberals) for years and when I psot a disagreement once, you both suggested I'm a Conservative.  Personally, I find that an extremely ignorant position.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 108

I suspect we're splitting hairs. If Tx were on a jury hearing a case of marital abuse, I think he would be the first to support the woman. The problem with Black's statement is that he makes it seem as though rape occurs in ordinary marriages as a result of a woman's teasing. It doesn't, and it wouldn't get prosecuted if those were the facts. I agree that no means no, but that is a legal prescription made several decades ago to make the prosecution of rape easier. For all practical purposes, marital rape is hard to prosecute without corrobrating abuse.

What Black is demonstrating is the GOP's continuing tin ear for women's concerns. Many women know others who have been abused, possibly the victims of marital rape, and so this kind of statement strikes a special chord.

Posted by cat2011

Thanks for the support, and you are entirely correct.  And this should be a dignified and civil discussion without the accusatory personalities.  That is the problem with these discussions as inevitably someone attempts to turn them into personalities.  Several seems to delight in twisting posts around.

And my feelings not only refer to people, but to animals or any living thing.  I will almost drive into a ditch to avoid hitting a squirrel on the road.  And in fact have taken a dog from a neighbor because he was mistreating it, and then dared him to report me.  He didn't.  I later found a good home for it with someone I knew would treat him decently.

But the whole discussion seems to have deviated from the main topic into accusations of one sort of the other, and seems to be going off topic again.

Kudos
Views