Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: GOLD OVER LIFE, The Trump Brand

Message 1 of 5

I come from a very large family of commercial fishermen and have heard stories of the Bristol Bay salmon runs my entire life.  This month I'll be travelling to my Island home in Puget Sound for our family reunion.  Salmon has always been the main course and traditionally is prepared per at least three different family members' recipes.  This time of year it is Silvers that we feast on.

I know of a few relatives who are dt supporters and that in itself is heartbreaking.  One of them actually swore at me this week over a face book post, told me I should be ashamed of myself.  Dear, dear oh dear! & LOL.  I'm hoping to talk with uncles about their views and knowledge of the Pebble Mine, without having to enter into a back and forth about the moron in the White House.  I can't help but think that if this gold mine happens, it won't only be Bristol Bay that is devastated but all the fisheries, wildlife and human lives being lived in Alaska will be affected.

42 years ago when my Dad held my newborn daughter in his arms for the first time, he was smiling down at her and softly said, "She looks just like a little sockeye".  I didn't know at the time that that was a huge compliment.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

And yet his worshipers cheer.

These moral and intellictual midgets cannot continue to rule America. If GOPers remain in power, they will do exactly what Steve Bannon told us they were doing - tearing down our society in order to rebuild it in THEIR image - a Corporate Oligarchy with NO Government able to intercede on behalf of We the People.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

The greed and ignorance makes me sick to my stomach.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

GOLD OVER LIFE - tRump's image more important than anything else - Yep - that's how the malignantly narcissistic buttflake has always lived what's loosely called a life...

60750033_2341783912773470_8420131174461997056_n.jpg

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

GOLD OVER LIFE, The Trump Brand

Message 5 of 5
'Gold Over Life, Literally': How Trump Forced Reversal on Mining Project EPA Scientists Warn Could Destroy Alaskan Salmon Ecosystem

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/10/gold-over-life-literally-how-trump-forced-reversal-mini...

That was the succinct and critical reaction of Canadian author and activist Naomi Klein to reporting on Friday that President Donald Trump had personally intervened—after a meeting with Alaska's Republican Governor Mike Dunleavy on Air Force One in June—to withdraw the Environmental Protection Agency's opposition to a gold mining project in the state that the federal government's own scientists have acknowledged would destroy native fisheries and undermine the state's fragile ecosystems....

In 2014, the project was halted because an EPA study found that it would cause "complete loss of fish habitat due to elimination, dewatering, and fragmentation of streams, wetlands, and other aquatic resources" in some areas of Bristol Bay. The agency invoked a rarely used provision of the Clean Water Act that works like a veto, effectively banning mining on the site....

Four EPA sources with knowledge of the decision told CNN that senior agency officials in Washington summoned scientists and other staffers to an internal videoconference on June 27, the day after the Trump-Dunleavy meeting, to inform them of the agency's reversal. The details of that meeting are not on any official EPA calendar and have not previously been reported.

Those sources said the decision disregards the standard assessment process under the Clean Water Act, cutting scientists out of the process.

The EPA's new position on the project is the latest development in a decade-long battle that has pitted environmentalists, Alaskan Natives and the fishing industry against pro-mining interests in Alaska....

After being told that the decision was made, one EPA inside told CNN, "I was dumbfounded. We were basically told we weren't going to examine anything. We were told to get out of the way and just make it happen."

Why is Bristol Bay important for salmon? And seven other Bristol Bay facts

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/why-is-bristol-bay-important-for-salmon-and-seven-other-bristo...

Aerial view of Bristol Bay watershed

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors