Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: GLOBAL WEIRDING, CLIMATE DISRUPTION

Message 1 of 20
Elders Climate Action.is a community of elders who care about preserving our planet for our grandchildren and future generations.

we would like to invite you to an ECA 101 call where you can hear more about who we are, what ECA has done in the past and our plans for the future.

The ECA 101 for New Members online Zoom call occurs monthly on the 4th Wednesday. Our next training is Wednesday, October 23 at 5:00 pm Eastern, 2:00 pm Pacific.

If you are unable to attend this ECA 101 for New Members, don't worry, plan to join next month! Watch for our next call bulletin or announcement in the upcoming newsletter or check our website for event listing.

We look forward to meeting you!

Link to Join the Video Call

Join by Computer *recommended

Or by Phone: 646 558 8656
Meeting ID: 477 209 5159

*We recommend joining by computer so that you can see the presenter's slides.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

Olderscout wins - replace those who have been bought by the companies that profit from destroying the environment.     

What the RW has abandoned is the idea that they actually care about the future generations.   Remember when they complained about the debt that was going to be given to their off-spring and beyond.    Why don't we hear that:  MONEY - they have been bought.  

There was lightning documented a few hundred miles from the Artic Circle.    The RW denialists have no idea what causes lightning so they have no idea why that is a BFD.  

Greenland is melting.    Again the RW have no idea, nor do they care about the ocean level rising and how that will impact the US coastline.  

Russian fires are peat fires....those were in the news and Donald said he would send folks to assist VLAD.    Well, excepted that donald is too uninformed to know that all fires are not as simple as his little mind seems to believe...leaves were not raked up, sigh    https://www.wired.com/story/the-bizarre-peaty-science-of-arctic-wildfires/

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

@SylviaD812355 wrote:

All these individual actions are good.  But I feel we must do more to change the system that has produced this dismal situation.  We must have hope, gather up the energy needed to change the system!  The Elders Climate Action group is a gathering of us grandparents concerned about the future of our beautiful grandchildren, to bring pressure for change, hopefully in time to avoid the worst consequences of our past irresponsible, thoughtless actions.  Go to EldersClimateAction.org and learn what they are doing...they have a once a month webinar discussion/group about actions taken that is always interesting and inspiring.  We Must join energies and create a better world!

And to do that, we cannot be ruled by Corporate Oligarchs who get rich by destroying the future for our grandkids and to do that we must get rid of elected Republicans.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20
biggest thing we need to do is SHOW UP IN 2020 to vote out the deniers!!!!!!!!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

So, join with others! Take action.....

Tomorrow, Tuesday, August 13 and every second Tuesday of the month:  If you would like to connect with other elders concerned about climate disruption and what we can do about it, both as individuals and as communities, to prepare responsibly for the future, connect with ElderClimateAction.org.  Add your email to their open list!  Take tea with them every second Tuesday of the month (tomorrow, August 13, 6:00 p.m. Eastern time) use the link below to automatically join the call. Join from your computer to see your new friends!
Or telephone 669 900 6833, meeting ID 185337579.
Also,  in joining with others, talk to three neighbors each week, listen to how they feel about climate change and the future.  Share what can be done.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

The Guardian recently published a series of articles titled United States of Plastic. We are the biggest polluter in the world when it comes to plastic. 

I bought glass 16 oz milk bottles with plastic caps off Amazon, coffee, water, tea, Kool aid, what ever I want. They fit in cup holders, heavy glass, hard to break.

I guess I bought them six months ago, I fill them up and take them to work.

I'm not using six disposable containers a day.

I buy soda in cans, and recycle the cans. Aluminum has about a 75% recycling rate, it would probably be closer to 100% if people didn't just throw the cans in the trash.

We should probably phase out single use plastic drink containers and replace them with aluminum. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Inform yourself.  Read a good book like Elders Climate Action Network's choice: Climate, a New Story.  Then go to their website, learn what's being done by elders .........

The EAN Book Study Group started on June 10th with Charles Eisenstein’s Climate, A New Story. It's not too late to join in as each session focuses on questions relevant to the current chapter(s). This is a provocative and paradigm-shifting book that is generating lively conversation.

Two More Sessions
Monday, August 5 & 19
Noon – 1:30 pm ET / 9:00 – 10:30 am PT
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

@JANMB wrote:

www.livescience.com/52249-tech-exists-to-turn-plastic-to-fuel-if-communities...

The promise of plastics-to-fuel is particularly exciting as an option to recover materials that today may be buried.   

Burning plastic as cleanly as natural gas - Phys.org
phys.org/news/2013-12-plastic-cleanly-natural-gas.html
This causes the plastic to become a gas, which is then mixed with air before it is burned as a clean fuel. The patent-pending process gave way to another surprising result: when the researchers introduced a bit of stainless steel into the reactor, they found it acted as a catalyst for growing uniform carbon nanotube  

The LiveScience link was inadvertantly shortened (by the AARP Community HTML parsing machine?) and rendered useless, try this link.

This is exciting news and heartening to know there are those who continue to seek and implement new innovative solutions.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

www.livescience.com/52249-tech-exists-to-turn-plastic-to-fuel-if-communities...

The promise of plastics-to-fuel is particularly exciting as an option to recover materials that today may be buried.   

Burning plastic as cleanly as natural gas - Phys.org
phys.org/news/2013-12-plastic-cleanly-natural-gas.html
This causes the plastic to become a gas, which is then mixed with air before it is burned as a clean fuel. The patent-pending process gave way to another surprising result: when the researchers introduced a bit of stainless steel into the reactor, they found it acted as a catalyst for growing uniform carbon nanotube  

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

@MaVolta wrote:

Think about how much plastic we bring home from the grocery store, alone. Salads and produce, frozen food, products in plastic jars and bottles, and the big one - water. Add to that, plastic storage bags and containers, plastic garbage bags. It's an endless list. 

The articles are real eye openers. A lot of "recycled" plastic is actually ending up in landfills or incinerators, or being swept out into the ocean. The pictures in the stories are mind boggling and disturbing. 

It is sometimes frustrating and seemingly overwhelming.  I bring my own bags when shopping.  My state still has not banned plastic straws, but I use glass straws.  Absolutely no plasticware.  But I still end up filling my bags with more plastic because everything is packaged in PLASTIC!

For scooping the litterbox, I used to use plastic bags, but eliminated that by going to brown paper lunch bags.  But when I buy those paper bags, they are packaged in ... you guessed it.  My septic-safe, environmentally-safe TP?  Yep, same thing.  But I recycle it all -- bags and wrapping kept separate and go to bag-recycling centers.

But then I read China stopped importing recyclable trash from other countries and Thailand is set to stop, too.  The USA is woefully lacking in recyclable facilities and can't handle the volume, so ultimately, where does it go if it doesn't get recycled?  And we are talking about the plastic that is actively earmarked for recycling.  That's not taking into account, all the crap that gets wantonly tossed aside.

But regardless, I refuse to give up.  I refuse to think it's useless anyway, because each and every individual can contribute and make a difference.  Just imagine what millions... billions of individuals can eventually do.  I refuse to think of this earth as a trash pit.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors