Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
242
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

242 Views
Message 21 of 36

@jfpinlvn wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

Anyone remember after Obama became president, and the right wing extremists accused him of going on an "apology tour"? Yeah, because apparently acting diplomatically is the same thing as being apologetic in right wing looney world.

 

Well one thing is for sure. Our *next* president is going to have their work cut out for them, because apologies are certainly warranted for the people of other nations (even the s-hole ones) and their duly elected representatives, for the rotten way they've been treated by the Trump administration.

 

We're Americans, and we're supposed to be better than this.

 

 


Oh dear! Maybe we should bring Obama back. He was very good at apologizing:

 

1. Apology to France and Europe ("America Has Shown Arrogance")
Speech by President Obama, Rhenus Sports Arena, Strasbourg, France, April 3, 2009.

 

2. Apology to the Muslim World ("We Have Not Been Perfect")
President Obama, interview with Al Arabiya, January 27, 2009

 

3. Apology to the Summit of the Americas ("At Times We Sought to Dictate Our Terms")
President Obama, address to the Summit of the Americas opening ceremony, Hyatt Regency, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, April 17, 2009

 

4. Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders ("Some Restoration of America's Standing in the World")
News conference by President Obama, ExCel Center, London, United Kingdom, April 2, 2009.

 

5. Apology for the War on Terror ("We Went off Course")
President Obama, speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009

 

6. Apology for Guantanamo in France ("Sacrificing Your Values")
Speech by President Obama, Rhenus Sports Arena, Strasbourg, France, April 3, 2009

 

7. Apology before the Turkish Parliament ("Our Own Darker Periods in Our History")
Speech by President Obama to the Turkish Parliament, Ankara, Turkey, April 6, 2009

 

8. Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas ("The United States Has Not Pursued and Sustained Engagement with Our Neighbors")
Opinion editorial by President Obama: "Choosing a Better Future in the Americas," April 16, 2009

 

9. Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA ("Potentially We've Made Some Mistakes")
Remarks by the President to CIA employees, CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia, April 20, 2009

 

10. Apology for Guantanamo in Washington ("A Rallying Cry for Our Enemies")
President Obama, speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009

 

https://www.heritage.org/europe/report/barack-obamas-top-10-apologies-how-the-president-has-humiliat...


As usual not one word you post is true.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
242
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
261
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

261 Views
Message 22 of 36

@BigLib wrote:

Anyone remember after Obama became president, and the right wing extremists accused him of going on an "apology tour"? Yeah, because apparently acting diplomatically is the same thing as being apologetic in right wing looney world.

 

Well one thing is for sure. Our *next* president is going to have their work cut out for them, because apologies are certainly warranted for the people of other nations (even the s-hole ones) and their duly elected representatives, for the rotten way they've been treated by the Trump administration.

 

We're Americans, and we're supposed to be better than this.

 

 


Oh dear! Maybe we should bring Obama back. He was very good at apologizing:

 

1. Apology to France and Europe ("America Has Shown Arrogance")
Speech by President Obama, Rhenus Sports Arena, Strasbourg, France, April 3, 2009.

 

2. Apology to the Muslim World ("We Have Not Been Perfect")
President Obama, interview with Al Arabiya, January 27, 2009

 

3. Apology to the Summit of the Americas ("At Times We Sought to Dictate Our Terms")
President Obama, address to the Summit of the Americas opening ceremony, Hyatt Regency, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, April 17, 2009

 

4. Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders ("Some Restoration of America's Standing in the World")
News conference by President Obama, ExCel Center, London, United Kingdom, April 2, 2009.

 

5. Apology for the War on Terror ("We Went off Course")
President Obama, speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009

 

6. Apology for Guantanamo in France ("Sacrificing Your Values")
Speech by President Obama, Rhenus Sports Arena, Strasbourg, France, April 3, 2009

 

7. Apology before the Turkish Parliament ("Our Own Darker Periods in Our History")
Speech by President Obama to the Turkish Parliament, Ankara, Turkey, April 6, 2009

 

8. Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas ("The United States Has Not Pursued and Sustained Engagement with Our Neighbors")
Opinion editorial by President Obama: "Choosing a Better Future in the Americas," April 16, 2009

 

9. Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA ("Potentially We've Made Some Mistakes")
Remarks by the President to CIA employees, CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia, April 20, 2009

 

10. Apology for Guantanamo in Washington ("A Rallying Cry for Our Enemies")
President Obama, speech at the National Archives, Washington, D.C., May 21, 2009

 

https://www.heritage.org/europe/report/barack-obamas-top-10-apologies-how-the-president-has-humiliat...

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
261
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
267
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

267 Views
Message 23 of 36

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

GLOBAL RESPECT FOR U.S. LEADERSHIP DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP—THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED UNDER OBAMA



Obviously you don't understand why that is so let me enlighten you. Other countries “respect” us for what we give them and stop “respecting” us when we stop giving.

 

I suspect most aren't so narrow-thinking as you claim others are.  Do you have any evidence of your hypothesus or just guessing again based on your extreme bias?


There you go again making an incoherent statement and asking a question about something that is common knowledge to anyone who can read, that was answered in the post you're responding to, and was answered in the article YOU REFERENCED. It appears, as usual, you didn't even read what YOU referenced and if you did, you obviously didn't understand it starting with it's an old article about a poll that was conducted in March, 2017.

 

Right you are nc, it's actually telling that one struggles with one with an article from January 2018.  In addition,

 

"Of 17 nations for which Pew Research Center has numbers for both 2016 and 2017, only three—Greece, Hungary, and Nigeria—saw a popular uptick for America. All the others were down, some dramatically: Australia (60 to 48), Canada (65 to 43), France (63 to 46), Germany (57 to 35), India (56 to 49), Italy (72 to 61), Japan (72 to 57), Kenya (63 to 54), Netherlands (65 to 37), Poland (74 to 73), South Africa (60 to 53), Spain (59 to 31), Sweden (69 to 45), and United Kingdom (61 to 50)."

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/03/how-trump-has-weakened-the-worlds-view-of-the-us.html


None of which, AS USUAL, addresses WHY nations or people feel that way.  LOL....you're welcome to come to your own conclusion if you like....Even Obama said our leadership position in the world declined because Trump pulled out of the Paris Accord.  Well, that might me one reason....Incidentally, for those haveing (sic) trouble reading, the ARTICLE was from 2018.  What was previously stated......Whay (sic) I said and what the article said it was based on a poll that was conducted beginning in March 2017.  

 

U.S. Image Suffers as Publics Around World Question Trump’s Leadership


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
267
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
276
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

276 Views
Message 24 of 36

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

GLOBAL RESPECT FOR U.S. LEADERSHIP DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP—THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED UNDER OBAMA



Obviously you don't understand why that is so let me enlighten you. Other countries “respect” us for what we give them and stop “respecting” us when we stop giving.

 

I suspect most aren't so narrow-thinking as you claim others are.  Do you have any evidence of your hypothesus or just guessing again based on your extreme bias?


There you go again making an incoherent statement and asking a question about something that is common knowledge to anyone who can read, that was answered in the post you're responding to, and was answered in the article YOU REFERENCED. It appears, as usual, you didn't even read what YOU referenced and if you did, you obviously didn't understand it starting with it's an old article about a poll that was conducted in March, 2017.

 

Right you are nc, it's actually telling that one struggles with one with an article from January 2018.  In addition,

 

"Of 17 nations for which Pew Research Center has numbers for both 2016 and 2017, only three—Greece, Hungary, and Nigeria—saw a popular uptick for America. All the others were down, some dramatically: Australia (60 to 48), Canada (65 to 43), France (63 to 46), Germany (57 to 35), India (56 to 49), Italy (72 to 61), Japan (72 to 57), Kenya (63 to 54), Netherlands (65 to 37), Poland (74 to 73), South Africa (60 to 53), Spain (59 to 31), Sweden (69 to 45), and United Kingdom (61 to 50)."

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/03/how-trump-has-weakened-the-worlds-view-of-the-us.html


None of which, AS USUAL, addresses WHY nations or people feel that way.  Even Obama said our leadership position in the world declined because Trump pulled out of the Paris Accord.  Incidentally, for those haveing trouble reading, the ARTICLE was from 2018.  Whay I said and what the article said it was based on a poll that was conducted beginning in March 2017.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
276
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
277
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

277 Views
Message 25 of 36

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

GLOBAL RESPECT FOR U.S. LEADERSHIP DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP—THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED UNDER OBAMA



Obviously you don't understand why that is so let me enlighten you. Other countries “respect” us for what we give them and stop “respecting” us when we stop giving.

 

I suspect most aren't so narrow-thinking as you claim others are.  Do you have any evidence of your hypothesus or just guessing again based on your extreme bias?


There you go again making an incoherent statement and asking a question about something that is common knowledge to anyone who can read, that was answered in the post you're responding to, and was answered in the article YOU REFERENCED. It appears, as usual, you didn't even read what YOU referenced and if you did, you obviously didn't understand it starting with it's an old article about a poll that was conducted in March, 2017.

 

Right you are nc, it's actually telling that one struggles with one with an article from January 2018.  In addition,

 

"Of 17 nations for which Pew Research Center has numbers for both 2016 and 2017, only three—Greece, Hungary, and Nigeria—saw a popular uptick for America. All the others were down, some dramatically: Australia (60 to 48), Canada (65 to 43), France (63 to 46), Germany (57 to 35), India (56 to 49), Italy (72 to 61), Japan (72 to 57), Kenya (63 to 54), Netherlands (65 to 37), Poland (74 to 73), South Africa (60 to 53), Spain (59 to 31), Sweden (69 to 45), and United Kingdom (61 to 50)."

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/03/how-trump-has-weakened-the-worlds-view-of-the-us.html


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
277
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
274
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

274 Views
Message 26 of 36

@CS402050 wrote:


There you go again making an incoherent statement and asking a question about something that is common knowledge to anyone who can read

 

It appears, as usual, you didn't even read what YOU referenced and if you did, you obviously didn't understand it starting with it's an old article about a poll that was conducted in March, 2017.

 

If nothing else, try using a little common sense occasionally. 

 

Before you go off on another incoherent tangent, let me give you the answer.


@CS402050,

 

Your repetitive personal attack words and phrases make your posts very hard to read.

 

I have highlighted the multiple times you have LASHED OUT at @Centristsin2010  by impugning his ability to read, belittling his ability to understand, his lack of use of common sense, and his mental incoherence.

 

You should not be allowed to post comments like that about your fellow posters. They serve no purpose on this discussion board.

 

I, for one, am sorry that you received this kind of response @Centristsin2010, just because you asked for evidence regarding some comments.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
274
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
277
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

277 Views
Message 27 of 36

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

GLOBAL RESPECT FOR U.S. LEADERSHIP DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP—THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED UNDER OBAMA



Obviously you don't understand why that is so let me enlighten you. Other countries “respect” us for what we give them and stop “respecting” us when we stop giving.

 

I suspect most aren't so narrow-thinking as you claim others are.  Do you have any evidence of your hypothesus or just guessing again based on your extreme bias?


There you go again making an incoherent statement and asking a question about something that is common knowledge to anyone who can read, that was answered in the post you're responding to, and was answered in the article YOU REFERENCED. It appears, as usual, you didn't even read what YOU referenced and if you did, you obviously didn't understand it starting with it's an old article about a poll that was conducted in March, 2017.

 

I used trade and the Paris Accord as an examples. So did the article YOU REFERENCED.

 

The article YOU REFERENCED gave one of the reasons as, “Trump has put his “America First” policy into action by pulling out of what he sees as unfair trade deals, including the now-defunct Trans-Pacific Partnership, and launching Canada and Mexico into renegotiation of the 24-year-old NAFTA agreement.” Amen.

 

The article YOU REFERENCED also gave one of the reasons as: “Last June, Trump said America is withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement after Obama led the way to forge it in 2015. The agreement put the world on track to reduce the dangerous levels of carbon emissions that are driving climate change.” Of course, as I pointed out in the article I published on the subject and quoted in my post, that last sentence is just more ignorance and/or lies from liberals who never read the Accord and didn't know what was in it. It didn't put the world on track to do anything but have this country shell out more money to help other countries at the detriment of our own.

 

If nothing else, try using a little common sense occasionally. Do you really believe other countries care about this country other than how it benefits them? Before you go off on another incoherent tangent, let me give you the answer. Before I retired I was in charge of international operations for a company and spent at least two weeks out of every month in foreign countries. The ONLY country that came close to liking us is Australia. There's a saying they have down there, “When the U.S. sneezes Australia catches a cold.”

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
277
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
288
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

288 Views
Message 28 of 36

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

GLOBAL RESPECT FOR U.S. LEADERSHIP DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP—THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED UNDER OBAMA



Obviously you don't understand why that is so let me enlighten you. Other countries “respect” us for what we give them and stop “respecting” us when we stop giving.

 

I suspect most aren't so narrow-thinking as you claim others are.  Do you have any evidence of your hypothesus or just guessing again based on your extreme bias?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
288
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
295
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

295 Views
Message 29 of 36

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

GLOBAL RESPECT FOR U.S. LEADERSHIP DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP—THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED UNDER OBAMA



Obviously you don't understand why that is so let me enlighten you. Other countries “respect” us for what we give them and stop “respecting” us when we stop giving. Obama gave away the farm to the detriment of this country and receiving countries loved it. Trump has not only stopped that practice but is putting the brakes on some of Obama's give-aways and, lo and behold, “respect” is fading. No kidding. Following are a couple examples.

 

The current nonsense about tariffs is perhaps the best example of Trump stopping the practice. Other countries' tariffs are far, far greater than ours. They put tariffs on everything they can to protect their economy and as long as we accept that and help them build their economies to the detriment of ours they “respect” us. But if we put a tariff on something to protect our economy, they lose that “respect.” Canada is currently the best example of that. Trump is putting a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum imported from Canada and all you hear from Trudeau is that it's an insult, how bad Trump is and that Canada will retaliate. But Canada has already imposed far, far more tariffs than we have, the largest being a 270% tariff on milk which hurts our dairy farmers. Of course, intelligent people admire what Trudeau is doing. He is trying to help his country. That's his job as chief executive of Canada. On the other hand, intelligent people understand that NOTHING is more stupid than the liberals in this country whining about the Trump tariffs when they will help the very people who are whining and get our economy to a level playing field, which is what everyone should want. By the way, the biggest argument I keep hearing from liberals is that the tariffs hurt our economy. That's possible but, first, other countries would be hurt more than ours. Second, for that reason it is doubtful it would last very long. Third, if it does, good. It's short term pain for long term gain. Our country has been at a trade disadvantage for many years because of tariffs and if it comers to a trade war other countries will be hurt far worse than us and to settle it they should be agreeable to resolving ALL unfair trade practices.

 

An example of Trump stopping Obama's give-aways is Trump pulling out of the Obama's Paris Climate Accord. A lot of countries (and liberals) talked about the world respecting us less because of that. The truth is in that agreement Obama agreed to help other countries' economies to the detriment of ours while making pollution WORSE. The following is from an article I published last year regarding the Paris Accord.

 

The parties to the Accord could not agree on what should be done so in desperation to say they accomplished something, each country pledged (called an NDC) what it would do on its own. The pledges of the top three polluters were:

 

China - “Peak CO2 emissions by 2030, or earlier if possible”

 

So China, whose emissions are double any other country, pledged to keep growing emissions for another thirteen years. Supporters argue that China's growth is leveling off so it's not that bad. But China didn't pledge to be “not that bad.” Instead, they chose to protect their economy and if they average the same growth as the last thirteen years, the world's emissions will be worse even if the other countries meet their pledges.

 

United States - “The U.S. NDC sets a target of reducing its emissions by 26% to 28% below 2005 levels by 2025”

 

The U.S. pledged to reduce emissions and the economy be damned. There is no argument the pledge would cost this country many jobs.

 

India - “To reduce the emissions intensity of GDP by 33%–35% by 2030” by increasing “the share of non-fossil based energy resources to 40% of installed electric power capacity....”

 

India's pledge reduces the amount of their emissions per $1,000 of GDP but increases their total emissions as their GDP grows. According to a Brookings analysis, if their GDP grows at 7% (last year it was 8%), India's total emissions by 2030 would be 2.3 times what they are today. And it would be much greater if India meets their pledge. Their economy has been held back due to a third of India not having electricity. Adding the capacity they pledged should help their GDP, hence emissions, grow much faster.

 

Per the Accord, developed countries (the U.S.) would bear the cost for developing countries (India) to meet their pledges. Since a large part of India's economy is outsourced jobs, U.S. taxpayers would be paying India to take more jobs from them. That's reasonable...TO A LIBERAL!

 

So, the liberal elite made another agreement that threw this country (and the climate) under the bus. Then, in yet another attempt to divide the electorate, they proclaimed they saved the climate and anyone who disagrees is a climate denier and a baaaaaaaaaad person. Obviously, I'm old and confused. I thought I disagreed because it hurt the people of this country.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
295
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
5
Kudos
315
Views

Re: GLOBAL RESPECT DROPPED SHARPLY UNDER TRUMP

315 Views
Message 30 of 36

'The faithful' will say 'the donald' is fulfilling his campaign promises.  Buried in all that chaff is a kernel of truth that will affect us all and will for generations to come.  Not the truth that 'the donald' is doing what he said he'd do.  I hear and see over and over, even from the media disseminating 'fake news', that he is living up to his promises.  The 'other' media peddle the fairy tale that he doesn't get credit for doing all the 'good things' he has done. 

 

Donald John Trump read his supporters, and the Republican Party precisely right. All by himself, he did that.  He didn't accept advice he didn't like AND he still did it.  He is now cementing his grip on power through destruction of any and all elements of the fabric of our Nation that could oppose 'him' in the future. 

 

Donald John Trump is cementing his grip on power just as other authoritarians have over the entirety of history.  The process is based on a presumption that what he is doing is 'good' because he is doing what he said he'd do.  Not so folks.

 

WE need to see things as they truly do exist. 'The donald' HAS accomplished far more than he is given full credit.   All of what 'the donald' has accomplished has far reaching and long lasting consequences, politically and otherwise.   Some of us don't like what we now see and will like it far less in the future.  IF we're around to see it, that is.  It all happens because WE don't do what we know needs to be done to curb that progression.  Left alone, the consequences are severe....again as history shows.

 

This IS the legacy we leave our progeny as parents, grand-parents and elders who should know better.  Forget OUR bene's for now, this is the only real legacy that counts.

 

His followers invite YOU to presume making good on those promises make those very same promises a 'good' thing.  That is NOT so, but that is what you uniformly hear from current Republicans of all stripes, even those who do know better.  You might say that makes them corrupted. You might even say, "they LIE too!". 

 

The worst thing that could happen is that WE who would preserve our freedom lose sight of what is happening and 'accept' it as reality.  THAT is what is being 'peddled'.  THAT is what you are being brow-beaten into buying when you lose the ability to 'resist'.  The hard sell from the shining star of 'THE CON" is in progress.  Tune in for what happens next in the 'Traveling Minstrel Show' according to 'the donald'.

Report Inappropriate Content
5
Kudos
315
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22

Top Authors