Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

GEORGE WILL - GOP RENTED ITSELF TO TRUMP

Trusted Social Butterfly

The topic title is about how the GOP 'rented' itself out.  'Rented' is the wrong term.  It supposes that the GOP can ever get back what they've lost in this act of political prostitution.  George Will, being who he is, is more or less obligated to frame it the way he did. 

 

The GOP establishment thought to 'use' the radical right, retain the ability to assert control over their behavior, and then recover control when the RRR were no longer useful.  The GOP establishment was wrong.  What they really did was 'sell out'.  Turns out 'they' didn't know what they were doing and were politically impotent when it came to fixing what they did.  People will talk about the 'why' of all this for a long, long time.  

 

The party of Lincoln will never return to its former stature....ever.  Too many 'deals' have been cut, too much honor compromised, too many people who know it.   

 

I could go on, I suppose........why bother.  Those who read or listen to knowledgeable rational sources know what I describe is true.  Alternatively, they are in complete denial of reality.  The GOP really sold out the American People...all of US.  What they got or were promised in return is yet to be visible.  Mueller may be able to tell US.  IF so, perhaps WE can fix what needs fixing before the damage is irreparable.  I sure hope so.

 

All who recognize what has really happened must cooperate on the fix.  That's Republicans, Democrats and Independents.  I think that SHOULD be enough to pull the fangs on the snake and neutralize any threat it presents.  Let's get about doing what we need to do.  The only way ahead I can see is at the polls in 2018.  Impeachment will likely install just another tool of the problem we all have.

Honored Social Butterfly


@umbarch64 wrote:

The topic title is about how the GOP 'rented' itself out.  'Rented' is the wrong term.  It supposes that the GOP can ever get back what they've lost in this act of political prostitution.  George Will, being who he is, is more or less obligated to frame it the way he did. 

 

The GOP establishment thought to 'use' the radical right, retain the ability to assert control over their behavior, and then recover control when the RRR were no longer useful.  The GOP establishment was wrong.  What they really did was 'sell out'.  Turns out 'they' didn't know what they were doing and were politically impotent when it came to fixing what they did.  People will talk about the 'why' of all this for a long, long time.  

 

The party of Lincoln will never return to its former stature....ever.  Too many 'deals' have been cut, too much honor compromised, too many people who know it.   

 

I could go on, I suppose........why bother.  Those who read or listen to knowledgeable rational sources know what I describe is true.  Alternatively, they are in complete denial of reality.  The GOP really sold out the American People...all of US.  What they got or were promised in return is yet to be visible.  Mueller may be able to tell US.  IF so, perhaps WE can fix what needs fixing before the damage is irreparable.  I sure hope so.

 

All who recognize what has really happened must cooperate on the fix.  That's Republicans, Democrats and Independents.  I think that SHOULD be enough to pull the fangs on the snake and neutralize any threat it presents.  Let's get about doing what we need to do.  The only way ahead I can see is at the polls in 2018.  Impeachment will likely install just another tool of the problem we all have.


If I understand the proposition, the Republicans have gone too far right and all good people regardless of the Party of registration have to work to show them the error of their ways.

 

How about the Democrats being led far left by the Progressive Movement? Shall we all band together to redirect the Dems away from Bernie and Elizabeth??

0 Kudos
455 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@umbarch64 wrote:

The topic title is about how the GOP 'rented' itself out.  'Rented' is the wrong term.  It supposes that the GOP can ever get back what they've lost in this act of political prostitution.  George Will, being who he is, is more or less obligated to frame it the way he did. 

 

The GOP establishment thought to 'use' the radical right, retain the ability to assert control over their behavior, and then recover control when the RRR were no longer useful.  The GOP establishment was wrong.  What they really did was 'sell out'.  Turns out 'they' didn't know what they were doing and were politically impotent when it came to fixing what they did.  People will talk about the 'why' of all this for a long, long time.  

 

The party of Lincoln will never return to its former stature....ever.  Too many 'deals' have been cut, too much honor compromised, too many people who know it.   

 

I could go on, I suppose........why bother.  Those who read or listen to knowledgeable rational sources know what I describe is true.  Alternatively, they are in complete denial of reality.  The GOP really sold out the American People...all of US.  What they got or were promised in return is yet to be visible.  Mueller may be able to tell US.  IF so, perhaps WE can fix what needs fixing before the damage is irreparable.  I sure hope so.

 

All who recognize what has really happened must cooperate on the fix.  That's Republicans, Democrats and Independents.  I think that SHOULD be enough to pull the fangs on the snake and neutralize any threat it presents.  Let's get about doing what we need to do.  The only way ahead I can see is at the polls in 2018.  Impeachment will likely install just another tool of the problem we all have.


If I understand the proposition, the Republicans have gone too far right and all good people regardless of the Party of registration have to work to show them the error of their ways.

 

How about the Democrats being led far left by the Progressive Movement? Shall we all band together to redirect the Dems away from Bernie and Elizabeth??


The current right wing are as wrong and evil as slavers were in the 1860s.

The current left is as correct as those who opposed slavery.

Easy peasy.

Just like after Vietnam - time for the political right to admit they were always wrong, and stop damaging the nation with their intransigence.

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

The GOP stopped being the Party of Lincoln when it welcomed in the Dixiecrats who called themselves Democrats because Lincoln was a Republican.

 

The GOP has been the Party of NIXON since 1968.

Honored Social Butterfly

Der Trumper has the intellectual prowess of a duck. In this case it's a good thing because PERHAPS enough people will see the neoRepublican ranting about their willingness to cause a Government shutdown several more times before the 2018 election and realize GOPers have no interest or ability to Govern and vote for somebody else. Pretty sure it also ends their ability to use "budget reconcilliation" to try and destroy health care for 34 million Americans because Republicans cannot stand the fact a Black man did something wonderful for the Nation.

Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

Der Trumper has the intellectual prowess of a duck. In this case it's a good thing because PERHAPS enough people will see the neoRepublican ranting about their willingness to cause a Government shutdown several more times before the 2018 election and realize GOPers have no interest or ability to Govern and vote for somebody else. Pretty sure it also ends their ability to use "budget reconcilliation" to try and destroy health care for 34 million Americans because Republicans cannot stand the fact a Black man did something wonderful for the Nation.


Typical - no matter what the topic, just post - 1) something childish about the President ; 2) the ill-defined "neoRepublicans"; and 3) some racist comment (naturally, attributed to someone else).

0 Kudos
269 Views
16
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 yes it appears many of our friends on the left are operating on their emotions... Void of facts and ruled by their "feelings"...

 

Remarkable behavior from some folks that claim superior intellect don't you think?

 

Right up there with hair on fire and the sky is falling... 

 

LOL!!!

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
586 Views
14
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@jimc91 wrote:

@rk9152 yes it appears many of our friends on the left are operating on their emotions... Void of facts and ruled by their "feelings"...

 

Remarkable behavior from some folks that claim superior intellect don't you think?

 

Right up there with hair on fire and the sky is falling... 

 

LOL!!!


Positions in the government not filled, North Korea has a free hand to develop any weapons they want, The President defending Nazis and KKK. 150 members of the president's own party are opposing the continuing resolution.  Republicans are calling George Will a leftist.  Yeah, weird world the last 200 days has created. 

Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@rk9152 yes it appears many of our friends on the left are operating on their emotions... Void of facts and ruled by their "feelings"...

 

Remarkable behavior from some folks that claim superior intellect don't you think?

 

Right up there with hair on fire and the sky is falling... 

 

LOL!!!


Positions in the government not filled, North Korea has a free hand to develop any weapons they want, The President defending Nazis and KKK. 150 members of the president's own party are opposing the continuing resolution.  Republicans are calling George Will a leftist.  Yeah, weird world the last 200 days has created. 


jim - I think that makes your point pretty well. NK has been supported in their efforts for rockets and tips through three Administration. But, as you pointed out the hatred (emotions) causes them to blame President Trump.

 

Then there is the "defending Nazis and KKK" nonsense. there is no logic in that but I guess it "feels good" for those who "get off" on hatred.

 

Some Republicans are not on board with Trump's plans. First, nothing new in that. Second, does that mean the poster is supporting the President or the Republicans - or just can't figure out which way to go? Same with Will - is there now support for Will??

 

As you pointed out - emotions. Sadly, primarily hatred.

0 Kudos
582 Views
12
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

jim - I think that makes your point pretty well. NK has been supported in their efforts for rockets and tips through three Administration. But, as you pointed out the hatred (emotions) causes them to blame President Trump.

 

Then there is the "defending Nazis and KKK" nonsense. there is no logic in that but I guess it "feels good" for those who "get off" on hatred.

 

Some Republicans are not on board with Trump's plans. First, nothing new in that. Second, does that mean the poster is supporting the President or the Republicans - or just can't figure out which way to go? Same with Will - is there now support for Will??

 

As you pointed out - emotions. Sadly, primarily hatred.


Just the facts. North Korea was pretty well bottled up until the Trump administration demonstrated its  inability to govern.  Trump backed the Nazis and KKK ("Good people") and you can pretend this chaos is good all you want. No emotion, just observation. 

Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

jim - I think that makes your point pretty well. NK has been supported in their efforts for rockets and tips through three Administration. But, as you pointed out the hatred (emotions) causes them to blame President Trump.

 

Then there is the "defending Nazis and KKK" nonsense. there is no logic in that but I guess it "feels good" for those who "get off" on hatred.

 

Some Republicans are not on board with Trump's plans. First, nothing new in that. Second, does that mean the poster is supporting the President or the Republicans - or just can't figure out which way to go? Same with Will - is there now support for Will??

 

As you pointed out - emotions. Sadly, primarily hatred.


Just the facts. North Korea was pretty well bottled up until the Trump administration demonstrated its  inability to govern.  Trump backed the Nazis and KKK ("Good people") and you can pretend this chaos is good all you want. No emotion, just observation. 


NK was building it's rockets and building it's nuclear tips for many years. How is that "bottled up"?

 

The Establishment demonstrated it's inability to govern. That is part of the reason that our President's name is Trump - it applies to the primaries and the generals.

 

And, please, a little honesty, the President never called the Nazis nor the Kluxers "good people".

 

And that is not just an observation, it is reality.

0 Kudos
585 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

jim - I think that makes your point pretty well. NK has been supported in their efforts for rockets and tips through three Administration. But, as you pointed out the hatred (emotions) causes them to blame President Trump.

 

Then there is the "defending Nazis and KKK" nonsense. there is no logic in that but I guess it "feels good" for those who "get off" on hatred.

 

Some Republicans are not on board with Trump's plans. First, nothing new in that. Second, does that mean the poster is supporting the President or the Republicans - or just can't figure out which way to go? Same with Will - is there now support for Will??

 

As you pointed out - emotions. Sadly, primarily hatred.


Just the facts. North Korea was pretty well bottled up until the Trump administration demonstrated its  inability to govern.  Trump backed the Nazis and KKK ("Good people") and you can pretend this chaos is good all you want. No emotion, just observation. 


NK was building it's rockets and building it's nuclear tips for many years. How is that "bottled up"?

 

The Establishment demonstrated it's inability to govern. That is part of the reason that our President's name is Trump - it applies to the primaries and the generals.

 

And, please, a little honesty, the President never called the Nazis nor the Kluxers "good people".

 

And that is not just an observation, it is reality.


Only 26% voted for trump - that "observation" would be accepted and even endorsed in the "minority alternate reality"...

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

Rk   what in this world are you doing there?  haven't you left yet?  you need to leave. 

no name
0 Kudos
593 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

Rk   what in this world are you doing there?  haven't you left yet?  you need to leave. 

 

You mean it's not a Chinese imitation climate change hoax?

 

nightmare_on_mar_a_lago__marian_kamensky_yNtwwtG.jpeg

 

 


 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly


@alferdpacker wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Rk   what in this world are you doing there?  haven't you left yet?  you need to leave. 

 

You mean it's not a Chinese imitation climate change hoax?

 

nightmare_on_mar_a_lago__marian_kamensky_yNtwwtG.jpeg

 

 


 


Considering the serious nature of hurricane Irma, I'd say that was a bulletin in poor taste.

0 Kudos
546 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Rk   what in this world are you doing there?  haven't you left yet?  you need to leave. 

 

You mean it's not a Chinese imitation climate change hoax?

 

nightmare_on_mar_a_lago__marian_kamensky_yNtwwtG.jpeg

 

 


 


Considering the serious nature of hurricane Irma, I'd say that was a bulletin in poor taste.


I love to read Conservative fake outrage almost as much as I love to read their fake news. 

Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Rk   what in this world are you doing there?  haven't you left yet?  you need to leave. 

 

You mean it's not a Chinese imitation climate change hoax?

 

nightmare_on_mar_a_lago__marian_kamensky_yNtwwtG.jpeg

 

 


 


Considering the serious nature of hurricane Irma, I'd say that was a bulletin in poor taste.


As was all of the fallacious neo-marxist nonsense...

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

Rk   what in this world are you doing there?  haven't you left yet?  you need to leave. 


We're not in the coastal flood plain. Thanks for thinking of me.

0 Kudos
582 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152, would that fall under the category of "emotionally disturbed?"

 

 

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
583 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@jimc91 wrote:

@rk9152, would that fall under the category of "emotionally disturbed?"

 

 


i was curious as to whether any conservatives were now in opposition to Donald Trump. I never thought I would feel the same as these groups listed below. 

 

The anti Trump world, however, would include in alphabetical order the following: Glenn Beck, Max Boot, L. Brent Bozell, David Brooks, Mona Charen, Ross Douthat, Erick Erickson, Niall Ferguson, David Frum, Robert George, Michael Gerson, Jonah Goldberg, Stephen Hayes, Margaret Hoover, Robert Kagan, Charles Krauthammer, Bill Kristol, Matt Lewis, Dana Loesch, Rich Lowry, Meghan McCain, Michael Medved, Russell Moore, Michael Mukasey, Charles Murray, Ana Navarro, Peggy Noonan, Daniel Pipes, John Podhoretz, Karl Rove, Jennifer Rubin, Steve Schmidt, Thomas Sowell, Ken Starr, Michael Steele, Bret Stephens, Charlie Sykes, Cal Thomas, Nicole Wallace,  George Will, and Montel Williams, and, among others.

 

Many of the major conservative media, including the National Review, the Weekly Standard , and the Wall Street Journal have had many of their editors and contributors turn against Donald Trump.

Many retired intelligence officials, including James Woolsey, James Clapper, and Michael Hayden have also spoken out strongly against the President, as has former State Department official R. Nicholas Burns and former National Security Adviser Brent Scowcroft.

 

Also, former Presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, as well as their wives Barbara and Laura, and other members of the Bush extended family, have quietly opposed Trump and his agenda.

Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@rk9152, would that fall under the category of "emotionally disturbed?"

 

 


i was curious as to whether any conservatives were now in opposition to Donald Trump. I never thought I would feel the same as these groups listed below. 

 

The anti Trump world, however, would include in alphabetical order the following: Glenn Beck, Max Boot, L. Brent Bozell, David Brooks, Mona Charen, Ross Douthat, Erick Erickson, Niall Ferguson, David Frum, Robert George, Michael Gerson, Jonah Goldberg, Stephen Hayes, Margaret Hoover, Robert Kagan, Charles Krauthammer, Bill Kristol, Matt Lewis, Dana Loesch, Rich Lowry, Meghan McCain, Michael Medved, Russell Moore, Michael Mukasey, Charles Murray, Ana Navarro, Peggy Noonan, Daniel Pipes, John Podhoretz, Karl Rove, Jennifer Rubin, Steve Schmidt, Thomas Sowell, Ken Starr, Michael Steele, Bret Stephens, Charlie Sykes, Cal Thomas, Nicole Wallace,  George Will, and Montel Williams, and, among others.

 

Many of the major conservative media, including the National Review, the Weekly Standard , and the Wall Street Journal have had many of their editors and contributors turn against Donald Trump.

Many retired intelligence officials, including James Woolsey, James Clapper, and Michael Hayden have also spoken out strongly against the President, as has former State Department official R. Nicholas Burns and former National Security Adviser Brent Scowcroft.

 

Also, former Presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, as well as their wives Barbara and Laura, and other members of the Bush extended family, have quietly opposed Trump and his agenda.


There are several factors involved, none of which were mentioned in your Newsweek quote.

1) There are guys like Clapper who dislike Trump for ideological reasons. Yes, possibly registered (R) but "deep state".

2) Trump is not and never was a strict Conservative. That would separate some from him.

3) There are establishment figures on both sides of the aisle and he opposes the establishment.

 

However, given the option Trump/Clinton, I wonder how they would vote in the Newsweek poll.

 

0 Kudos
594 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

 


@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Der Trumper has the intellectual prowess of a duck. In this case it's a good thing because PERHAPS enough people will see the neoRepublican ranting about their willingness to cause a Government shutdown several more times before the 2018 election and realize GOPers have no interest or ability to Govern and vote for somebody else. Pretty sure it also ends their ability to use "budget reconciliation" to try and destroy health care for 34 million Americans because Republicans cannot stand the fact a Black man did something wonderful for the Nation.


Typical - no matter what the topic, just post - 1) something childish about the President ; 2) the ill-defined "neoRepublicans"; and 3) some racist comment (naturally, attributed to someone else).


Truth hurts - that's why there's such a push to not observe/mention that trump is an international joke who is disrespected by more of the nations' citizens than respect him - current republican congress is considered an equally bad joke - and they allow encourage trumps blatant racism...

 

After a while the republican/conservative dishonesty can't be hidden.

 

44>dolt45
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png