Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Furloughed Workers Do Chores for Landlords

Message 1 of 45

@Soosie wrote:
How is that relevant? Yes, a parent is responsible for the child. That’s exactly why the parent cannot work, if the parent cannot find responsible day care. Can’t leave an infant home alone, right? I’m sure McDonalds isn’t amenable to taking orders with the baby in an Ergo. ...............................The only answer to this is if one can't plan for future happenings in their life, then they should not have children.

Nobody can plan for every contingency that comes their way. It’s not a moral failure. It’s a circumstantial failure.  What of a family has a cascade of failures? You can plan for a cheating husband. Or a seriously ill child. Or a job loss. But what if you get more than one at the same time? Or back to back? It takes time to replenish emergency savings. Unless you started life upper middle class with significant wealth transfer from your parents, it’s very difficult to weather these types of emergencies without help.

My husband is a fed and he’s essential. He has to work and he’s not getting paid. There are many like him. TSA comes to mind.   How could he go get a second job when he’s already at work?  We are fine. We have resources. But many don’t. And they shouldn’t have to suffer over the childish whims of our nation’s “leaders.”

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 45

How does one "take care of themselves" if they spend a lifetime advancing a career and suddenly have to put in 40-hour weeks with no pay?

Just another GOPer blame-the-victim mime to justify ignorant hateful actions by their toadPOTUS.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 45

@Soosie wrote:
I am in the real world. I go to work each day. I am involved in my community and work with some charities. I think there are some others, perhaps here, that don't get out enough. That could be through no fault of their own, but I see some who are probably younger than me, but they sound like they have been housebound for years.

As for a career change, no I went back to finance, but the reason for mentioning this is I have several areas that I keep myself current in. I want to stay self sufficient as long as I can. I had my underemployed career while I went back to school to get myself some more training. I believe in taking responsibility for myself for as long as possible.

Saying that a furloughed worker either cannot or will not support themselves does not fit your premise.  I am sorry if you are unable to see your logical fallacy.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 45
I am in the real world. I go to work each day. I am involved in my community and work with some charities. I think there are some others, perhaps here, that don't get out enough. That could be through no fault of their own, but I see some who are probably younger than me, but they sound like they have been housebound for years.

As for a career change, no I went back to finance, but the reason for mentioning this is I have several areas that I keep myself current in. I want to stay self sufficient as long as I can. I had my underemployed career while I went back to school to get myself some more training. I believe in taking responsibility for myself for as long as possible.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 45

@Soosie wrote:
Soosie, you are not thinking about the real world. Where are these people supposed to find this part time work?

Any hiring manager who is any good understands that one of their functions is to help reduce the costs associated with bringing new employees on board, which means you would have to be a fool to hire somebody who is guaranteed to turn over in very short order. If you are expecting them to switch careers, there is time involved in that. To simply state "go get a part time job" is unrealistic.............@sp362........I work for a large IT company. My job is not contract, but we have many of them with a duration of 1 month to 6 months. We have an internal recruiting team that is constantly looking for people to fill these contract jobs. I think they are good hiring managers. These jobs pay a hefty salary during the duration.

Since I was caught in downsizing some years ago, I have gone back to school several times to stay relevant to today's needs. I also recently approached the local paper about writing a humorous column for them. They looked at some of my work and guess what? I now write for them. This is another back up plan. To me, it is important to look for as many avenues to promote what I know, what I enjoy and keep myself with several plans for my future. I don't plan to come home and sit. It would bore me to tears. I also don't worry because I will always find something to make money. I grew up believing that I can succeed, but know it takes planning, application, and staying current. No one cares what was on my resume fifteen years ago. I need to be able to add worth to a company from the time I occupy the office chair. I guess I will have to admit to tunnel vision because I thought a lot of people have this internal drive. Fortunately, I do see it with the great people I work with.

Soosie, you are again missing the point.

As far as a contract worker, why would a company hire a contract worker for a project when they can't be guaranteed that they won't be called back to their previous job and suddenly be unable to complete the contract in the time frame required?  Or, the Company will set the payment schedule as full payment upon completion of the contract.  Either case does not meet your temporary job criteria.

The rest of your post describes a career change, not a part-time job.

As a tax payer, I think you would be upset that after the shut down is over we will end up paying these individuals their back pay and have NO services in return.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 45

@Soosie wrote:
I am one of the majority of voters who voted for Hillary. ....................So sorry Scout. Hope in time you will heal.

Not Scout. Rich

I have healed. I doubt very much the country ever will. On the plus side, it is starting to look like the GOP will be dead by 2020 so that is something

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 45

I see all the static about the workers who do not receive pay, but where is the outrage for the Senators and Congressmen who continue to receive their pay?  Why isn't this a topic for anyone?  Take their high salaries and see how quickly they act to fix some problems.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 45
How is that relevant? Yes, a parent is responsible for the child. That’s exactly why the parent cannot work, if the parent cannot find responsible day care. Can’t leave an infant home alone, right? I’m sure McDonalds isn’t amenable to taking orders with the baby in an Ergo. ...............................The only answer to this is if one can't plan for future happenings in their life, then they should not have children.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 45

@Soosie wrote:
Right. What about the single mom federal worker? My youngest is 12. Day care for him as an infant was $425 a week, or $22,000 a year. I’m sure it’s a lot more now. I don’t think I could cover that, much less a very modest mortgage or rent, doing carpentry work. Or McDonald’s. Or a temp service.

Like many (most?) parents around here, if I don’t have day care, I can’t work. ....................................................@manicprogressive.......Simple questions that can easily be answered yes or no. Are you the parent of your child? If so, aren't you responsible for this child?

How is that relevant? Yes, a parent is responsible for the child. That’s exactly why the parent cannot work, if the parent cannot find responsible day care. Can’t leave an infant home alone, right? I’m sure McDonalds isn’t amenable to taking orders with the baby in an Ergo. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 45
I am one of the majority of voters who voted for Hillary. ....................So sorry Scout. Hope in time you will heal.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors