Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Furloughed Workers Do Chores for Landlords

Message 41 of 45

OMG have they lost their minds? Carpentry work in DC? Against code? They think some regular person can do work like that unlicensed in DC? Do they understand anything about real life at all? Idiots. 

Bigger issue would be worker injury IMO.

That would be uninsured liability for the employer ( the landlord ) and the landlord would be on the hook for that and workers comp on the ( wages ) paid and injury in the event of accidents.

Not to mention it would be an accounting nightmare for the landlord and the employee.

Would this person be a subcontractor or an employee?

This is not a person who owns a business that engages in subcontracting, this is a person the landlord hires to do work.

Would the landlord be liable for the employer side of payroll taxes, workers comp, unemployment insurance?  Would the employee?

Would the landlord have to provide the employee with a 1099 and report that work for rent to the IRS?

I think they would.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 45

I have  only one comment on this issue. 

LOL   LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 45

OMG have they lost their minds? Carpentry work in DC? Against code? They think some regular person can do work like that unlicensed in DC? Do they understand anything about real life at all? Idiots. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 45
It sure sounds like Trumps advice. " just force yourself to perform, and your landlord to accept, slave labor in leiu of rent. And while you are so broke you are doing slave labor, pay an attorney.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Furloughed Workers Do Chores for Landlords

Message 45 of 45

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-administration-suggests-furloughed-workers-do-chores-for-landlor...

Trump Administration Suggests Furloughed Workers Do Chores for Landlords to Help Pay Rent

The U.S. Office of Personnel Management on Thursday tweeted advice to furloughed federal workers on how to explain their precarious financial situation to creditors and landlords—including one sample letter with the suggestion that they offer to perform chores in exchange for rent payments. “I will keep in touch with you to keep you informed about my income status and I would like to discuss with you the possibility of trading my services to perform maintenance (e.g. painting, carpentry work) in exchange for partial rent payments,” one sample letter to a landlord read. The agency also urged workers to “please consult with your personal attorney” for any required legal advice amid the partial government shutdown, during which nearly 800,000 workers have either been furloughed or asked to work without pay. On Thursday night, prospects looked even grimmer as the House and Senate both adjourned for the weekend, guaranteeing the shutdown will continue until at least next week.

Kudos
Views
Replies