Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Franken

Message 1 of 20

@umbarch64 wrote:

You may have already seen the CNN interview Jake Tapper held with Leeann Tweeden.  Two adults discussing an emotional issue, one of which was the 'victim' of a thoughtless, juvenile action by a third party who wasn't there in person.  

From it I gathered the victim's resentment and embarassment to her inflicted by that third party had not diminished over time. The effects on her, her self image, her ability to conduct her life free of such effects, continued to affect her everyday since then and still did today.  It was a telling interview.

Her role in life at that time and ANY time lapse between the event and her making an issue of it are NOT relevant.  One person harmed another.  However that was done, that was wrong then, it's wrong now.  Moral lapses are not extinguished or expunged because they can't be prosecuted.  In my world, only the victim can forgive....nobody else.  IF you did it, you own it, now and forever more.  No excuses.  Can you mitigate and make amends? You can try.

The Moore and Franken events are separate events having a common cultural mindset that somehow it's OK for a perpetrator to do what he/she does. That being said, the culture has to act, ethically, to get rid of its own part in such abuse, before it can hold perpetrator[s] responsible for what society condones...explicitly or implicitly.  Hypocrites need not apply to be seated on this committee.

Franken issued two apologies. I understand Leeann Tweeden accepted both but felt the second was more sincere.  In either case, she forgave Franken his trespass.  If she forgave Society its trespass, I missed it.

Brilliantly stated.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

You may have already seen the CNN interview Jake Tapper held with Leeann Tweeden.  Two adults discussing an emotional issue, one of which was the 'victim' of a thoughtless, juvenile action by a third party who wasn't there in person.  

From it I gathered the victim's resentment and embarassment to her inflicted by that third party had not diminished over time. The effects on her, her self image, her ability to conduct her life free of such effects, continued to affect her everyday since then and still did today.  It was a telling interview.

Her role in life at that time and ANY time lapse between the event and her making an issue of it are NOT relevant.  One person harmed another.  However that was done, that was wrong then, it's wrong now.  Moral lapses are not extinguished or expunged because they can't be prosecuted.  In my world, only the victim can forgive....nobody else.  IF you did it, you own it, now and forever more.  No excuses.  Can you mitigate and make amends? You can try.

The Moore and Franken events are separate events having a common cultural mindset that somehow it's OK for a perpetrator to do what he/she does. That being said, the culture has to act, ethically, to get rid of its own part in such abuse, before it can hold perpetrator[s] responsible for what society condones...explicitly or implicitly.  Hypocrites need not apply to be seated on this committee.

Franken issued two apologies. I understand Leeann Tweeden accepted both but felt the second was more sincere.  In either case, she forgave Franken his trespass.  If she forgave Society its trespass, I missed it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Although it is admirable that Franken apologized and asked that the ethics committee looked into his actions, I am saddened to hear of his behavior.

Having said that, the hypocrisy of trump and his cronies is deafening. The idiot in chief says NOTHING about Moore—probably not wanting to remind his mindless supporters of his own predatory past, but slams Franken.

It’s all disgusting, but when trump uses divisive politics in the face of human suffering, he makes himself and those who repeat his ignorant and decisive remarks even more repugnant—Just when I thought the idiot couldn’t be anymore of an embarrassment to the human race, he further lowers the bar.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Franken's apology is one of honor and integrity, in my opinion.  It still does not excuse what he did.   But to me, it's the difference between a good man doing something bad, and a bad man (Trump, Moore) doing something bad.   And that difference matters. 

Someone else has said that most men will be looking back on their past, reevaluating what they have done, and whether it was appropriate or not.  We cannot change the past, but we should not make excuses for this type of behavior.   And we need to educate people that it's never OK to use others for gratification (of whatever kind) without their consent.   

VERY WELL stated, NerdyMom.  I puckered when I scrolled down to your post (lol) but IMO, you hit the nail on the head.  It was a comedian trying to be funny with his audience and as one accurately pointed out, juvenile....most men have done similarly stupid things. It certainly doesn't excuse what he did though.  He should have certainly apologized, which he did and she accepted his apology.  At this point, isn't that what should matter?

I'll add, for the record, I am more bothered by the forced kiss than the picture.  The picture is juvenile as several have pointed out; the forced kiss?  Inexcusable and boorish!  Do I think it should cost him his job?  No, but admittedly, I may not be as objective on this point as I usual am.  Smiley Wink

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

@gordyfl wrote:

Trump wasted no time

Trump Blasts ‘Al Frankenstien’ on Twitter Over Alleged Groping

“The Al Frankenstien picture is really bad, speaks a thousand words. Where do his hands go in pictures 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 while she sleeps?” Trump tweeted.

Trump — who has been accused of sexual misconduct himself by numerous women — then added: “And to think that just last week he was lecturing anyone who would listen about sexual harassment and respect for women. Lesley Stahl tape.” (The "Lesley Stahl tape," referring to a 1995 interview with New York Magazine in which Franken — then a writer for Saturday Night Live — discussed a purported skit that involved drugging and raping the CBS News reporter).

Franken became the latest powerful man to get called out for sexually predatory behavior on Thursday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/16/trump-tweets-broadside-against-al-franken-wh...

trump proves once again what a moron he truly is.  We don't need a picture to know what he did; we have his confession on tape and the word of 15 women.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

@Richva wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

Trump wasted no time

“The Al Frankenstien picture is really bad, speaks a thousand words. Where do his hands go in pictures 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 while she sleeps?” Trump tweeted.

Trump — who has been accused of sexual misconduct himself by numerous women — then added: “And to think that just last week he was lecturing anyone who would listen about sexual harassment and respect for women. Lesley Stahl tape.” (The "Lesley Stahl tape," referring to a 1995 interview with New York Magazine in which Franken — then a writer for Saturday Night Live — discussed a purported skit that involved drugging and raping the CBS News reporter).

Franken became the latest powerful man to get called out for sexually predatory behavior on Thursday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/16/trump-tweets-broadside-against-al-franken-wh...

I think it is just wonderful that the president is taking such an interest in sexual harassment claims. I have even started a collection of stories about the president's comments on the subject. Like all collectors, I am still searching for the one thing that would make my collection complete. The unicorn. 

And that is: ANY FRIGGIN' COMMENT FROM TRUMP ON ROY MOORE'S PEDOPHILIA. 

Trump ducks and covers from his own problem

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/all-women-whove-accused-trump-sexual-assault/

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

@NerdyMom wrote:

Franken's apology is one of honor and integrity, in my opinion.  It still does not excuse what he did.   But to me, it's the difference between a good man doing something bad, and a bad man (Trump, Moore) doing something bad.   And that difference matters. 

Someone else has said that most men will be looking back on their past, reevaluating what they have done, and whether it was appropriate or not.  We cannot change the past, but we should not make excuses for this type of behavior.   And we need to educate people that it's never OK to use others for gratification (of whatever kind) without their consent.   

VERY WELL stated, NerdyMom.  I puckered when I scrolled down to your post (lol) but IMO, you hit the nail on the head.  It was a comedian trying to be funny with his audience and as one accurately pointed out, juvenile....most men have done similarly stupid things. It certainly doesn't excuse what he did though.  He should have certainly apologized, which he did and she accepted his apology.  At this point, isn't that what should matter?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

@gordyfl wrote:

It would be difficult for him to deny it. There was a photo.

Yeah but.....

Is he really "groping" her in the photo?  No, he's posing for and playing TO, the camera.

"Groping - When used in a sexual context, groping is touching or fondling another person in an unwelcome sexual way using the hands."  He's not touching or fondling her; he's acting as if he was.....it was a joke, a very bad joke, an inappropriate joke.  He was wrong to do it.  But in my opinion, this is much more "locker room talk" than what trump is accused of doing OR what he admitted to doing.

Truth be told, I AM a fan of Franken...think he's a very good Senator and represents his constituents very effectively and is a strong advocate of women and women's rights.  It doesn't excuse what he did.

This occurred well before he was in government.  He was working as a comedian.  She is a former Playboy covergirl.  He was hamming it up with male soldiers.  Does that make it OK?  No, it does NOT.  But context is important, isn't it? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

@gordyfl wrote:

Trump wasted no time

I think it is just wonderful that the president is taking such an interest in sexual harassment claims. I have even started a collection of stories about the president's comments on the subject. Like all collectors, I am still searching for the one thing that would make my collection complete. The unicorn. 

And that is: ANY FRIGGIN' COMMENT FROM TRUMP ON ROY MOORE'S PEDOPHILIA. 

Kudos
Views