From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fox's Chris Wallace Warns "Trump crossed the line"

Message 1 of 5

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trump is on a downward roll and I don't expect him to slow down, stop, or reverse the downward slide. He just can't help himself.

"the donald" is doing everything possible to consolidate power in order to keep it.  You and I, and a lot of other people too, may see what he is doing as another example of mental aberration out of control.  When critters like these get power, they will exercise it to its fullest so they can keep it, donchasee?  We've been through all that before. 

Naysayers inevitably nit-pick detail to obscure  evidence of existential fact.  It's what they do.  History never repeats itself precisely.  Neither do the players.  So what?  Autocrats do not behave identically, they behave similarly....it is what they do.  So do Psychopaths.  We shouldn't ignore it nor should we minimize it by wishful thinking.  Not criticizing....just sayin'.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Trump is on a downward roll and I don't expect him to slow down, stop, or reverse the downward slide. He just can't help himself.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

NerdyMom: 

You only have to spend a little time in a country where the media is criminalized to understand how critical it is to preserve this inherent human right of free speech.  

Very true, and it's exactly why Trump is trying so hard to undermine the press. Much easier to operate freely as the sort of person he is if he can blame all the bad news on a dishonest media. Shame on anyone with a shred of sense for allowing themselves to be suckered by his nonsense.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Trump is tearing at the fabric of what makes America great to begin with.   Like a free press.   It was so important to the founding fathers that they included this freedom of speech and freedom of the press in the FIRST amendment to the Constitution. 

You only have to spend a little time in a country where the media is criminalized to understand how critical it is to preserve this inherent human right of free speech.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Fox's Chris Wallace Warns "Trump crossed the line"

Message 5 of 5

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace warns viewers: Trump crossed the line in latest attack on media

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace cautioned his colleagues and the network's viewers Sunday that President Trump's latest attack on the media had gone too far.

“Look, we're big boys. We criticize presidents. They want to criticize us back, that's fine,” Wallace said Sunday morning on “Fox & Friends.” “But when he said that the fake news media is not my enemy, it's the enemy of the American people, I believe that crosses an important line.”

The “Fox & Friends” anchors had shown a clip of Trump recounting that past presidents, including Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln, had fought with the press. They then asked Wallace whether Trump's fraught relationship with the media was a big deal.

In response, Wallace told his colleagues that Jefferson had also once written the following: “And were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.”

Context was important, Wallace said. All presidents fight with the media, but Trump had taken it a step further in making them out to be “the enemy,” he added.

“Yes, presidents have always had — and politicians have always had — problems with the press.

They want good press. The press doesn't always give it to them,” Wallace said. “But what Jefferson [was saying] is, despite all of our disputes, that to the functioning of a free and fair democracy, you must have an independent press.”

Trump's contentious relationship with the press has again been in the spotlight in recent days after the president repeatedly attacked the media as “fake news” in several tweets. In one widely shared tweet on Friday, Trump said the media was “not my enemy” but “the enemy of the American People!

more at:  Fox News anchor Chris Wallace warns viewers: Trump crossed the line in latest attack on media By Amy...

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors