Reply
Silver Conversationalist

Fox News says viewers don't expect Tucker Carlson to report facts

 

Fox News lawyer tells judge that Tucker Carlson's audience doesn't expect him to report the facts

 

"It's not the front page of the New York Times," a network attorney says in court. "It's 'Tucker Carlson Tonight'

 

 

Full article here:

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/18/fox-news-lawyer-tells-judge-that-tucker-carlsons-audience-doesnt-ex...

 

The statements come amid a slander lawsuit brought against the right-leaning network by Karen McDougal, the former Playmate model who was paid $150,000 by the National Enquirer in a "catch-and-kill" sting to silence her allegations about an affair with then-candidate Donald Trump, who at the time of the alleged incident was a reality TV competition host.

 

"Remember the facts of the story: These are undisputed," Carlson said in the segment. "Two women approached Donald Trump and threatened to ruin his career and humiliate his family if he doesn't give them money."

 

"Now, that sounds like a classic case of extortion," Carlson continued. "Yet, for whatever reason, Trump caves to it, and he directs Michael Cohen to pay the ransom. Now, more than two years later, Trump is a felon for doing this. It doesn't seem to make any sense."

"Oh, but you're not a federal prosecutor on a political mission," Carlson added. "If you were a federal prosecutor on a political mission, you would construe those extortion payments as campaign contributions."

 

 

The network wants the court to throw out the case on the argument that Carlson cannot defame anyone on his show, because his viewers do not expect him to state and verify facts. That would hinder McDougal's ability to prove that Carlson acted "with malice," which is the high bar of proof she must meet as a public figure.

 

Murphy, the Fox attorney, told the court that Carlson simply stirs the pot on his show — and a reasonable viewer would be able to discern between his "provocative things that will help me think harder" and straight news. The network airing Carlson's show also broadcasts news programming — and the word "news" is even in its name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

You heard directly from Fox's own lawyer:

 

Front page NYT = Facts

Tucker Carlson: = No Facts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Honored Social Butterfly

 FOX is the propaganda shill for the GOP. In 2003, they went to court and won the right to demand their NEWS reporters LIE and fire them if they do NOT "lie on demand". the WON, and haven't told the truth since.

Some details of the case:

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with the Fox News assertion that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying broadcast news in the United States.

This is both a fascinating and disturbing case.

Two award-winning reporters had sued Fox for firing them after they repeatedly refused to water down the hazards of Monsanto's genetically engineered Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH or rBST) for which there was ample professional documentation from multiple countries.

 

This is another "love tap" from Reagan who vetoed the Fairness in Broadcasting Doctrine making possible Fox, Limbaugh and H8Radio, not to mention all the Republican CT-mills on the Internet. The "other" love tap was, of course. his incredible Tax Scam that RAISED middle class taxes 40% while cutting the tax for the Uberrich by 60%. Go look at the rates and deductions before and after Reagan if you don't believe me.

 

The Gipper has been screwing over America for 40 YEARS and first order of business for the new DEMOCRATIC government in 2021 MUST be to return to fair taxes and truth in our News.

Silver Conversationalist

I've heared this argument come up in the past. It may even have concerned FOX News.The lawyer is right. Cable news shows like FOX, MSNBC, and CNN "stir the pot". That's what they do. They believe they have a right to spew whatever nonsensical opinions they wish, mix it with news, and it's up to the viewers to distinguish the two, which in my opinion, most viewers fail to do.

The fact that most viewers don't distinguish between news and opinion, Karen McDougal might be right.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

That's not what I see every day. When it comes to lies FoxNews/Pravda and Trump are in a league of their own. Notice no one is suing CNN.

 

 

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Esteemed Social Butterfly


@Loulit wrote:

I've heared this argument come up in the past. It may even have concerned FOX News.The lawyer is right. Cable news shows like FOX, MSNBC, and CNN "stir the pot". That's what they do. They believe they have a right to spew whatever nonsensical opinions they wish, mix it with news, and it's up to the viewers to distinguish the two, which in my opinion, most viewers fail to do.

The fact that most viewers don't distinguish between news and opinion, Karen McDougal might be right.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Notice no one is suing CNN."

 

 


Look How Many Are Suing CNN For Racial Discrimination

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/look-how-many-are-suing-cnn-for-racial-discrimination

 

Rep. Devin Nunes files $435 million defamation lawsuit against CN

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/04/devin-nunes-files-435-million-defamation-law...

 

CNN confirms a settlement has been reached with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/07/nick-sandmann-cnn-confirms-settlement-covingto...

 

CNN's Don Lemon claims he doesn't know bartender who is ...

CNN host Don Lemon is denying that he ever met the bartender who is suing him for sexual assault.. Court papers obtained by Daily Mail show that Hamptons bartender Dustin Hice, 39, filed a lawsuit ...
 
CNN Reaches Settlement With MAGA Hat-Wearing Teen Nick ...
CNN has reportedly reached a settlement with Nick Sandmann, the Kentucky high schooler who sued the network for defamation nearly one year ago.. The complaint stemmed from a January 2019 incident ...
 
Etc. Etc.
0 Kudos
1,272 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

jfpinlvn:   Rep. Devin Nunes files $435 million defamation lawsuit against CN

 

 

Devin Nunes sues everyone, he's even suing someone on Twitter with the account  name "Devin Nunes Cow" because they make fun of him.

 

 

 
 
Devin Nunes’ cow
 
 

 

 
@DevinCow
·
Jul 3
 
Thank you for sharing, retweeting, and donating to our legal fund. While being sued for $250,000,000 by an elected member of our government in an obvious attempt to limit our First Amendment rights is scary, your kindness is astounding
 

 

 
0 Kudos
1,248 Views
0
Report
Conversationalist


@Loulit wrote:

I've heared this argument come up in the past. It may even have concerned FOX News.The lawyer is right. Cable news shows like FOX, MSNBC, and CNN "stir the pot". That's what they do. They believe they have a right to spew whatever nonsensical opinions they wish, mix it with news, and it's up to the viewers to distinguish the two, which in my opinion, most viewers fail to do.

The fact that most viewers don't distinguish between news and opinion, Karen McDougal might be right.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

That's not what I see every day. When it comes to lies FoxNews/Pravda and Trump are in a league of their own. Notice no one is suing CNN.

 

Majority of U.S. adults think news media should not add interpretation to the facts

A key question that news organizations face, particularly during intense periods like election years, is to what degree journalists should present the facts with some interpretation, giving their audience guidance in navigating all the information that comes at them.

A majority of U.S. adults (59%) reject the idea of adding interpretation, saying that the news media should present the facts alone, a recent Pew Research Center survey found. Four-in-ten favor adding some interpretation to the facts. The survey of 4,132 adults on the Center’s nationally representative American Trends Panel was conducted Sept. 27-Oct. 10, before Election Day.

Although the public prefers the news media to present “just the facts,” they may not even agree on what the facts are. In the same survey, 81% of registered voters said that most supporters of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump not only disagree over plans and policies, but also disagree on basic facts.

There are substantial partisan differences over whether journalists should include interpretation in their stories. Registered voters who supported Trump for president favored a “just the facts” approach by more than two-to-one, with only 29% saying the news media should add interpretation. Clinton supporters, on the other hand, are evenly split on the issue, with half against interpretation and half favoring it. This may be linked to a perception among Republicans that coverage of their candidate had been too tough. Among Republicans, 46% thought coverage of Trump had been too tough, while only three-in-ten Democrats thought the same of coverage of Clinton, according to Pew Research Center’s mid-September survey.

One thing the public does approve of to encourage clarity in presenting the news: fact-checking. The vast majority of registered voters say that fact-checking is a responsibility of the news media. And even those who oppose interpretation of facts generally favor the fact-checking role of the news media. Fully 81% of U.S. adults who prefer facts without interpretation believe fact-checking is a major or minor responsibility of the news media. About the same share of those who prefer interpretation, 83%, think fact-checking is a responsibility.

Taken together, this suggests the public may not see fact-checking as an act of interpretation. Since a majority prefer the news media to avoid interpretation, the public may be more likely to approve of the news media analyzing public figures’ statements when presented as fact-checking – using facts to either verify a piece of information or correct a piece of misinformation – rather than as analysis or commentary.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/18/news-media-interpretation-vs-facts/

 

All media sources contribute to the "misinformation" that is being broadcast today. The days of "just reporting the facts" died with real correspondents like Walter Cronkite. 

 


 

1,917 Views
10
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

There was a time I used to watch cable news. When I was in-between jobs I decided to cut the cable. What I did was record the news shows from free broadcast TV. 

 

I would get 'opinions' from the Sunday morning talk shows. I would record from 9 am to 12 noon on the three major networks - NBC, CBS and ABC.

 

I also enjoyed watching the McLaughlin Group on PBS. It was interesting watching the liberal arguing with the conservative arguing with the libertarian. John McLaughlin was the referee. "I'm speaking, I'm speaking!" Eleanor Clift would shout out. "Let Eleanor speak!" John McLaughlin would call out.

But I still felt like I needed to watch news - real 'news'.

 

I relied on PBS Newshour with Jim Lehrer. They had the best videos from independent news services. I no longer watch Newshour because I felt they've become too opinionated and bias.

 

I wanted to record a nightly news. At the time there were three news shows which all came on at 6:30 pm until 7 pm. What I did was rotate between the three until I could determine which was the best. After several months I determined that World News with Peter Jennings would be my show. And I stuck with that show.

 

When Peter Jennings died I read that he was a tough boss to work for. He wanted the news and only the news -- no opinions whatsoever. They would hand him the news and he would scrutinize and edit it himself. His staff said he would find opinions that they themselves had overlooked. He wanted 100% news and wanted the viewers to 'form their own opinions'. You don't see that anymore in today's news. 

0 Kudos
1,884 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Is MSNBC worse than Fox News?


12/09/2013 (This was 7 years ago)


This is the quickest way to turn a pleasant dinner party into a shouting match: Posit that MSNBC is not as bad as Fox News, but rather worse than Fox News.


"How can you say that!? Fox News is practically an arm of the Republican party! Biased as MSNBC may be, it doesn't try to take an active role in presidential elections! It doesn't live in a choose-your-own-reality cocoon where the facts don't matter!"
"I know it's biased, but how else to combat the misinformation on Fox!"... which is funny, because that's how Fox News started, as a counterbalance against perceived liberal biases in the mainstream media.


But here's the thing, and I hope it doesn't ruin your dinner: MSNBC is certainly as bad as Fox News, in terms of presenting ideologically biased information and demonizing the opposition.


In March, a Pew Research Center study -- yes, Pew -- found that 85 percent of MSNBC's programming is dedicated to "opinion," versus 15 percent that is dedicated to "news."


Fox News dedicated just 55 percent of its programming to "opinion" and 45 percent to "news."
Ok, fine.

 

"But MSNBC's opinions are rooted in fact, whereas the Bill O'Reillys and Sean Hannitys willingly peddle misinformation!"


But see, that's the thing. Many of MSNBC's opinions aren't rooted in fact.

 

Many of them are rooted in unfounded speculation.


And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

 

In a new essay for The National Review, Charles C. W. Cooke explains how MSNBC routinely demonizes the opposition to the point of absurdity. It’s exhausting.


By now, an MSNBC defender reading this piece surely assumes I'm a pro-Fox News conservative.

 

Because if you actually watch MSNBC, CNN or FOX, there's us and there's them, which leaves little room for independents.


https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/is-msnbc-worse-than-fox-news-179175

 

0 Kudos
1,874 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

gordyfl...part of the post..

In March, a Pew Research Center study -- yes, Pew -- found that 85 percent of MSNBC's programming is dedicated to "opinion," versus 15 percent that is dedicated to "news."


Fox News dedicated just 55 percent of its programming to "opinion" and 45 percent to "news."
Ok, fine.



"But MSNBC's opinions are rooted in fact, whereas the Bill O'Reillys and Sean Hannitys willingly peddle misinformation!"


But see, that's the thing. Many of MSNBC's opinions aren't rooted in fact.

==============================================================

I say almost all of what is reported by MSNBC, CNN and FOX are facts. The thing is how they present the facts...they slant them to their point of view.

 

And then we have people like MSNBC's  Nicole Wallace that states her opinion as fact..again and again.  A opinion is not a fact!!

0 Kudos
1,340 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I say almost all of what is reported by MSNBC, CNN and FOX are facts. The thing is how they present the facts...they slant them to their point of view.

 

And then we have people like MSNBC's  Nicole Wallace that states her opinion as fact..again and again.  A opinion is not a fact!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I notice many news outlets word their stories to sensationalize and mislead, but technically not lie. Take Russiagate, for example. You often hear words like "If" then this "could". Or this "suggests"....Or "Someone with knowledge of". Those type of words jump out at me, but from what I see, Democrats skirt over those words. The words that jump out at them are "Russia", "Putin", and "Trump".

0 Kudos
1,287 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
gordyfl...part of the post..

In March, a Pew Research Center study -- yes, Pew -- found that 85 percent of MSNBC's programming is dedicated to "opinion," versus 15 percent that is dedicated to "news."


Fox News dedicated just 55 percent of its programming to "opinion" and 45 percent to "news."
Ok, fine.



"But MSNBC's opinions are rooted in fact, whereas the Bill O'Reillys and Sean Hannitys willingly peddle misinformation!"


But see, that's the thing. Many of MSNBC's opinions aren't rooted in fact.

==============================================================

I say almost all of what is reported by MSNBC, CNN and FOX are facts. The thing is how they present the facts...they slant them to their point of view.

MSNBC & CNN report facts while FOX does not as they have admitted.

Last evening the big news was the new book about Trump by a Mental Health expert who is part of the Trump family. I checked fox a number of times and there were still on what they called riot over a month old.

Now I understand why as the author just validated everything we have been told about Trumps mental problems for the last 3 years in her new  book. It has even been very quiet in here today as Trumps  handlers are not sure how to respond. My guess is by tomorrow we will see the diversion stories arrive and we will be flooded with the usual far right nonsense. 

Closing item. It has been reported she is now working on another book about  Trump to bring everything up to date.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

I, personally, do not watch cable news shows, unless they are carrying something such as a debate or a hearing or important press briefing live.  And that's only if I can't find it on the regular networks first.  BUT the minute someone starts interjecting their analyses, whether it's during a break in proceedings or intermission, I'm outta there.  Whether it's Fox, CNN, MSNBC, doesn't matter.  Don't want nor need to hear it.

 

I have been in people's houses where they have one of the news programs on 24/7.  They'll tell me it's just background noise, but I hear the same thing over and over and over even when I try to turn a deaf ear and tune it out.  Very annoying.  I often wonder about the subliminal effect it has on people.

 

Not that I am immune to opinions and analysis, but again, does the author provide proof, back-up to her/his statements?  Very important to me or I dismiss it.  Otherwise, it just the rantings of some bloviated blowhard.  Unfortunately, providing facts and evidence is not necessary according to Fox News nor is it expected!  WTF?!

 

But, silly me, I don't get my news from Facebook or Twitter either.

Honored Social Butterfly

Okay, a simple test:

Do opinions have a basis in truth, or lies? Or can there be factual elements of both. 

MSNBC says that trump may be the worst President of all time...Fox, OAN say that trump may be best President of all time. Is there any truth or factual basis to either argument?

Are there any elements of truth within opinions, especially when specific actions, writings, or events that can be referenced...especially when it falls under what we can see, hear, or read. 

0 Kudos
1,400 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@AzRancher 

So do all news media sites operate on the premise of issuing misinformation?

And would you prefer to be told the truth or be lied to...such as what the carlson defense is saying, it’s okay to lie to the public...if so, that sounds like the trump strategy. 

Conversationalist


@williamb39198 wrote:

@AzRancher 

So do all news media sites operate on the premise of issuing misinformation?

And would you prefer to be told the truth or be lied to...such as what the carlson defense is saying, it’s okay to lie to the public...if so, that sounds like the trump strategy. 


The true correspondents of the past reported the facts, and only the facts. They did not interject their won interpretation's of those facts that was up to the viewer to decide. 

 

"Why was Walter Cronkite the most trusted man in America?

He began his career with a commitment to journalism as well. Cronkite refused to allow his personal beliefs to affect his job of reporting accurate news. It was his integrity and commitment to fair reporting which established him as the most trusted man in America."

 

Who is the most trusted news source today? I thought it was PBS but I'm starting to wonder about that. They appear to be leaning also, but as a whole seem to be better at reporting the FACTS without the commentator interjecting their own interpretation of those facts. 

And name 1 correspondent today who can be called "the most trusted man in America".

 

 According to a new Hollywood Reporter/Morning Consult survey of about 2,200 adults, NBC Nightly News host Lester Holt is the most trusted television news personality in America, trusted "a lot" by 32 percent of respondents and "some" by 30 percent. He's trailed by two ABC News anchors: his evening news competitor David Muir (28 percent trust "a lot") and Good Morning America co-host Robin Roberts (28 percent).

 https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/who-are-americas-trusted-tv-news-anchors-poll-1160597

0 Kudos
1,414 Views
0
Report
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Here is another verrry interesting report: The data is in: Fox News may have kept millions from taking the coronavirus threat seriously

 

A few snippets:

 

"Three serious research efforts have put numerical weight — yes, data-driven evidence — behind what many suspected all along: Americans who relied on Fox News, or similar right-wing sources, were duped as the coronavirus began its deadly spread."

 

And...

 

"Those who relied on mainstream sources — the network evening newscasts or national newspapers that President Trump constantly blasts as “fake news” — got an accurate assessment of the pandemic’s risks. Those were the news consumers who were more likely to respond accordingly, protecting themselves and others against the disease that has now killed more than 123,000 in the United States with no end in sight.

 

Those who relied on Fox or, say, radio personality Rush Limbaugh, came to believe that vitamin C was a possible remedy, that the Chinese government created the virus in a lab, and that government health agencies were exaggerating the dangers in the hopes of damaging Trump politically, a survey showed."

 

And...

 

"The upshot was clear: For too long, many devotees of most right-wing news decided they didn’t need to stay home. Others absorbed the idea that wearing a protective mask was an act of left-leaning partisanship.

 

But disease leaps across the political aisle quite nimbly.

 

And so, it’s tragic — but again not all that surprising — to see the virus spiking now in red states where governors and other public officials joined Trump and his favorite news outlets early on in downplaying the dangers."

 

Interestingly, re: Tucker Carlson, the analysis goes on to say...

 

"To his credit, Fox’s Tucker Carlson was delivering a different, much more reality-based, message, but he was an outlier on the network in those early weeks of the crisis. In fact, one of the studies found that Carlson viewers took protective measures much earlier than Hannity viewers."

 

Bottom line: Mainstream media like the NYT and WaPo consistently rate high and win prizes for factual reporting, although their editorials lean left.  Opinions, not news.

 

Cable news programs run 24/7 and there is only so much news you can run in a endless loop, so the networks fill in the gaps with cheaply produced talking head shows.  Again, opinions, not news.

 

However, it seems that most people (IMPOTUS being the biggest and most obvious example) do not seem to be able to extinguish between what is fact and what is opinion.  The statement that "The network wants the court to throw out the case on the argument that Carlson cannot defame anyone on his show, because his viewers do not expect him to state and verify facts" is rendered laughable as shown by the research data.

 

Shame on those who can't or won't distinguish between facts and opinions.  They are doomed to remain forever dangerously misinformed.

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, the proof is out...now let’s hear from trump supporters as to how fox news only reports the truth, especially as to what trump feeds them.  
And as Lou stated about CNN, any lawsuits against MSNBC...except from trump!

Honored Social Butterfly

That's not what I see every day. When it comes to lies FoxNews/Pravda and Trump are in a league of their own.

 

Notice no one is suing CNN.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

CINCINNATI – The CNN has reached a settlement with Nick Sandmann, a northern Kentucky high school student who had sued the news outlet saying it defamed him.

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/07/nick-sandmann-cnn-confirms-settlement-covingto...

Honored Social Butterfly


@gordyfl wrote:

That's not what I see every day. When it comes to lies FoxNews/Pravda and Trump are in a league of their own.

 

Notice no one is suing CNN.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

CINCINNATI – The CNN has reached a settlement with Nick Sandmann, a northern Kentucky high school student who had sued the news outlet saying it defamed him.

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/07/nick-sandmann-cnn-confirms-settlement-covingto...


....... The Hitler Youth kid that had no respect for others and intimidated a senior veteran and native American.

 

I gotta believe that it was cheaper for CNN to just give the bully brat  "go away money" than stay in court!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
1,218 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I've heared this argument come up in the past. It may even have concerned FOX News.The lawyer is right. Cable news shows like FOX, MSNBC, and CNN "stir the pot". That's what they do. They believe they have a right to spew whatever nonsensical opinions they wish, mix it with news, and it's up to the viewers to distinguish the two, which in my opinion, most viewers fail to do.

The fact that most viewers don't distinguish between news and opinion, Karen McDougal might be right.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png