Honored Social Butterfly

Fox News Sued for Faux Conspiracy Story

Fox News sued for conspiracy story on slain DNC staffer Rich

(WJLA/CNN) - The family of slain 27-year-old Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich is suing Fox News.

In the lawsuit filed Tuesday, the family said Fox News contacted them under false pretenses to support a story it published tying Rich's unsolved murder to a false conspiracy theory that he was killed because he gave DNC emails to WikiLeaks.

The suit also names Fox News reporter Malia Zimmerman and Texas businessman Ed Butowsky and said they worked together to develop a "sham" story about Rich's death.

Rich's family is seeking compensation for "mental anguish and emotional distress, emotional pain and suffering, and any other physical and mental injuries."

Rich was shot in the back as he was headed home one night in Washington, DC, in July 2016. His killing has not been solved.

The story connecting the conspiracy to his death stayed on Fox News' website for several days and was talked about on the air.

Fox said when it finally retracted the story that it would carry out an investigation into its reporting but no updates or comments about the story have been announced.

Neither a Fox News spokesperson nor Zimmerman immediately responded to a request for comment.

Butowsky told CNN on Tuesday night that the lawsuit didn't make sense to him.  (LOL.  Slander is illegal, Dude.)

Fox News sued for conspiracy story on slain DNC staffer Rich

If Fox had any journalistic credibility, or ethics (it has neither), they would have fired Hannity for perpetuating these lies, even after he was told they were lies.  Fox News.....The REAL Fake NEWS!!!!

@donnaw574413  Donna, you're welcome to join this discussion if you'd like, but please be aware of the TOS

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Regular Contributor

ok
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:
I will wait until all the facts come out as you should.

The FACTS are out. Hannity lied about the death of a young man causing his parents much emotional distress. Murdock was sued to the point he had to close his lying British paper because they lied about the death of a young girl - it's what all the Murdock enterprises do - lie to titilate the neofascists their lies attract.

Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:

The "fact" is that Fox is being sued, correct?

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Regular Contributor

Chasky 53, Everyone sues today don't you know that, you could say the sky is blue and someone out there will sue, I don't care if they are being sued, I will wait for the facts. CNN gets sued all the time because all they do is lie about everything did you know that? At least Hannity doesn't lie, all this will come out fine, I am sure. He strives for the truth like no other.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:
Chasky 53, Everyone sues today don't you know that,  Not true!  "Everyone doesn't sue today".  Are you suing someone now?  I'm not.
 you could say the sky is blue and someone out there will sue, Again, not true!  "The sky is blue"!  No one has sued me yet.  I'll keep you posted.
I don't care if they are being sued, I will wait for the facts. Facts to what?  Supposedly, Hannity gave you facts.  What more do you need?  The DC Police said it was a robbery and that there is zero evidence to suggest any of Hannity's conspiracy story is true.  
CNN gets sued all the time because all they do is lie.  Really?  Any evidence of that?  about everything did you know that? No.  But I do think those beholden to a propaganda machine like Fox would know a fact if it hit them between the eyes.  
At least Hannity doesn't lie, Again.....REALLY???
If you click here   Sean Hannity's file   you can see MANY of Hannity's more significant lies, and even a few he got right.  I'm being, you know, "fair and balanced" and all.

all this will come out fine, I am sure. He strives for the truth ONLY when it serves him, his Cult Leader and his extremely polically bigot views.......like no other.   Indeed.
IMO, it's scary when some are so beholden to  a known liar, like Hannity and trump, and make statements like "At least he doesn't lie" and "He strives for the truth like no other".  How can they be objective?

Regular Contributor

Trump will end up being the greatest President of all times as he has done more good in 1 year then Obama did in 8 and had to eliminate all the mess that Obama did and now we are dealing with all his corruption, looks like he is coming down along with all the rest, have you heard all about it, of course not you watch CNN and they don't want you to know.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:  but it's unclear who she was responding to.....just prefers to spew her rhetoric to anyone reading I guess.....

You are a bigot ...you know, making an offensive claim without providing any supporting facts, reference, etc. is rather weak....otherwise, it's just childish "name-calling".  What's the point?  and unable to reason with someone like you,  again, not sure who you were addressing, but I'm willing to be they are able to reason with themselves......just saying.

Trump will end up being the greatest President of all times LOL....as he has done more good in 1 year then Obama did in 8.....so, in your mind, all he has to do is to perform better than Obama in your eye's and he magically becomes the greatest of all times?  Really?  That's bizarre.  By the way, trump is currently rated as the worse President of all times, so he's got a LOT of work to do.... and had to eliminate all the mess that Obama did and now we are dealing with all his corruption, wanna share what in the world your talking about or should folks just assume it's Fox speak?  looks like he is coming down along with all the rest, have you heard all about it, of course not you watch CNN and they don't want you to know. You've ranted on and on and have never said what your talking about.....just wild innuendo's.  Talk about hateful!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Hating lies does NOT one a bigot make.

Supporting one who currys favor from the American Nazi Party, KKK and White Supremacists DOES one a bigot make.

Fox has a tiny audience compared with legitimate news media, and an even smaller aucience for their Hate-a-thons run by Hannity and the rest of the Fox luminaries.

If you like Nazi's, you'll love Der Trumper.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66wrote:

Hating lies does NOT one a bigot make.

Right you are, Scout.  Neither does inviting one's opinion or asking for facts and additional information.

Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:
You are a bigot and unable to reason with someone like you, Trump will end up being the greatest President of all times as he has done more good in 1 year then Obama did in 8 and had to eliminate all the mess that Obama did and now we are dealing with all his corruption, looks like he is coming down along with all the rest, have you heard all about it, of course not you watch CNN and they don't want you to know.

"you are a bigot"  Hmm ............ I have to ask if you have read the TOS?

Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:

The facts HAVE come out.  Fox, Hannity specifically, was perpetuating FAKE NEWS.  So, they're being sued.  What facts do you think are left to be learned?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Facts, Facts, wait and see and stop jumping to conclusions as I do believe in Hannity, an honest man, would never make up anything, thats why his show is the most watched show on TV, CNN has lost its ratings from all their lies, they are no longer the most trusted.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I will wait for the facts as that is how I am, but you jump right in and know it all apparently, but you don't, go to bed and take a rest. All you want to do is fight about something you know nothing about.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@donnaw574413wrote:
I will wait for the facts as that is how I am, but you jump right in and know it all apparently, but you don't, go to bed and take a rest. All you want to do is fight about something you know nothing about.

Foxs is being sued. Why defend something that you know nothing about?

Honored Social Butterfly

sadly, some of our posters here showed their intelligence by following Hannity's lead. It is in a way representative of all of their posts.
So it begins.
Esteemed Social Butterfly

And if I was the guy who owns that pizza place that the dude with an AR-15 came and shot up, because he believed the right wing fake news about the joint being a front for a child sex ring and he was gonna make himself the hero, I'd file suit, too.

I hope Rich's family sues them all into bankruptcy. These idiotic radical right wing cranks are costing people their lives.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly

The American Nazi Party was sued into bankruptcy because of a lie they told about the Holocaust. the NRAGOP encouraged the growth of replacements, but it was still a great victory for decency.

I think its time Fox and the rest of the Republican Propaganda Machine gets sued every time they lie about innocent people. This needs to become a priority for Progressives - take from the neoFascists the one thing they value above all others - MONEY.

Regular Contributor

Paleezzzzzzz stop, its all going to be ok, just stop!
Honored Social Butterfly

@BigLibwrote:

And if I was the guy who owns that pizza place that the dude with an AR-15 came and shot up, because he believed the right wing fake news about the joint being a front for a child sex ring and he was gonna make himself the hero, I'd file suit, too.

I hope Rich's family sues them all into bankruptcy. These idiotic radical right wing cranks are costing people their lives.

I agree, BigLib.  I think they should sue Hannity specifically as well.  He was told to stand down on his rhetoric AND he was told he was working with FAKE NEWS, yet he continued for his own selfish and mean-spirited purposes. He would do anything possible to attack Hillary.  He's a loathsome individual.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png