Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fox News Sued for Faux Conspiracy Story

Message 1 of 109

@sp362wrote:

@Richvawrote:

@sp362wrote:
There is a difference in looking at the past and trying to predict the future, although the future will give you an indication of how effective, or ineffective policies will be, but nothing is really carved in stone.  The Smoot-Hawley Act in the opinion of many, was a bad idea to put forth at the start of a recession.  There is also a school out there that will blame policy mistakes with the money supply as the final straw that pushed the US over the edge.  I think Capitalism is a good system, but there are issues with it that need to be controlled.  I do think Trump's tariffs on raw materials is an incredibly bad idea.  What is also worrisome is having Kudlow as the Director of the National Economic Council since Kudlow was one of the Economists who kept insisting the crash was not coming and continued to deny how bad the economy was getting.  From what you wrote do you think I agree with Trump's Supply Side Economics plan, because I do not.

AND, the accepted definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. Another example of the past not being a predictor of the future?  We may have discovered why Trump cannot govern then. 

Supply side has never worked in the past and I am not holding my breath that it will work now or in the future.  However, there MAY be a set of circumstances that it would work in.  I would hope that a President would have advisers on both sides of an issue so it can be properly presented, but that's not happening with Trump.

The supply side economics theory was presented in a bar on a napkin, it's a fallacy.

Demand creates the need for jobs, period. History is our best teacher.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 109

Trump still thought Obama golfed too much !

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 109

@donnaw574413wrote:
this is a person on the total left speaking as anyone with any sense knows that as soon as he became President everything started to change as people felt different, confidence soared, unemployment started to go down do to all the jobs he was creating, he is a hard worker and is keeping to all his promises like no other President.

Do you realize you just described Obama’s Presidency?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 109

@donnaw574413wrote:
So its ok that Clinton raped a woman and you support that, as that is while he was President, Hillary kept having to cover for all the woman he abused in office. He was a rapist and an abuser of woman. Weiner was special also! There are many more and still coming out. I never liked Clinton as was another bad President, so who would want thatl rapist/abuser in the White House again with Hillary Pres. None of us!!

I thought you only believed in proven facts not unproven allegations. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 109

@donnaw574413wrote:
If they have the Lord on their side they don't have to worry , he put Trump in the White House and he can do anything. Why do you think that was such a crushing election, it was actually unbelievable that he won as she had it all on her side, none of us could believe what happened. Amazing!!

Don’t blame God for the stupidity of those who selected Trump unless you really think God hates this country.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 109

@donnaw574413wrote:
Trump is doing an excellent job of governing in my opinion as he is a strong leader, says what he wants to say in stead of this political correctness which has gotten out of hand and leads in front then behind which was 8 years of that. He is doing something about keeping illegals out of our country from hurting us that are bad, getting rid of the bad ones that are here which is great. Back to Fox News being sued, there are flaws everywhere and people do things a lot of times out of hatred which I believe is the case here. I believe in Hannity as he is a good man and heard of a lot of great things about him, never anything bad, so I feel if this story is false, Hannity would never have put it out there as that is how he believes and you look into him and you will not find anything that he has done wrong as he prides himself in telling the truth, that is why Obama hated him so much as all Obama did was lie to the American people all the time and Hannity would call him out every time and he hated that, so he would keep telling everyone they shouldn't watch Fox News but meant really Hannity. This will come ok for him I am sure of it.

Thank you for attempting to bring this back on topic.  There are plenty of other topics about trump if you wish to post your blind admiration.

Propaganda is an appropriate term here.  If all you've heard is great things about Hannity, that should indicate to you that your surround yourself with like-minded people.  Try searching the internet on Hannity Lies....you may see a different view; if you are willing.

The Seth Rich Family’s Lawsuit Contains Brutal Claims against Fox News

"But as Fox grew into the dominant conservative media outlet — the place where conservative careers were made — something else began to happen. It started to attract a constellation of cranks and grifters, people desperate for Fox hits that could turn into contributor contracts. Contributor contracts could turn into book deals. The fortunate few could even host a show. A person who was Fox News famous could be a kingmaker, a celebrity to Fox’s vast and loyal audience.

While Fox has always had its critics — and it’s never been perfect (no media outlet ever is) — by 2016 and 2017 the dark underbelly was starting to show. Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly went down in the face of serial sexual-harassment claims, and a series of additional allegations gave Fox its own #MeToo movement before even Hollywood. But it was the single-minded, sensationalistic defense of Donald Trump that brought out the worst of the network on-air.

And that brings me to Seth Rich.

Last summer all too many conservatives began promoting one of the more bizarre conspiracy theories in modern American political culture, a conspiracy just as bizarre — in its own way — as Pizzagate or Trump’s questions about Ted Cruz’s father. The Seth Rich conspiracy theory goes something like this:

The Russian hacking story is bogus. The true story is that the DNC email leak was an inside job. Possibly disgruntled at the DNC’s anti-Bernie bias, Rich contacted WikiLeaks himself and uploaded tens of thousands of emails. Someone then assassinated Rich to cover their tracks — he was murdered in the early morning hours of July 10, 2016 — and the D.C. police, the FBI, and federal intelligence agencies are slow-walking the investigation while (at the federal level) still pushing a Russian-hacking story they know to be false.

Believe it or not, this crazy theory was given media life on Fox, went viral thanks to Fox, and was pumped day after day on Fox through comments by some of its biggest names, including Sean Hannity and Newt Gingrich. Eventually, Fox retracted the story that launched the theory, but immense damage was done.

Yesterday, Seth Rich’s family filed a lawsuit against Fox; Malia Zimmerman, the reporter responsible for the retracted story; and Ed Butowsky, an occasional Fox guest who worked with Zimmerman and heavily promoted the story internally at Fox. The suit makes for depressing reading.

According to the complaint, Butowsky ingratiated himself with the Rich family, coaxed them into letting him hire a Fox contributor named Rod Wheeler to help them solve their son’s murder, and then proceeded to work closely with Zimmerman and Wheeler for a very different purpose — to attempt to debunk the Russian-hacking narrative.

The Rich family claims that Butowsky assured them that Wheeler would provide information only to Joel and Mary, Seth’s parents, and that he would work at their direction. Instead, the family alleges, Wheeler worked closely with Zimmerman and Butowsky.

Days later, Wheeler and Butowsky even reportedly met with Sean Spicer to provide him details on their “investigation.” Zimmerman then drafted an article containing an explosive claim — that she had an FBI source “supposedly confirming that emails were sent between Seth and WikiLeaks.” The complaint also claims that Zimmerman reached out to them for comment on the alleged “fact” that Zimmerman “had been in communication with a federal agent who reviewed an FBI report completed last July that showed Seth had been in communication with [WikiLeaks] and that [Seth] had in fact transferred emails from the DNC to WikiLeaks.”

The suit claims that these statements were all lies.

Fox published Zimmerman’s story on May 16, 2017, the day after a local Fox affiliate published a similar story. Butowsky promoted it relentlessly, writing to multiple Fox producers and on-air personalities that “one of the big conclusions that we need to draw from this is that the Russians did not hack our computer systems and steal emails and there was no collusion like Trump with the Russians.”

Sean Hannity ran with the story, tweeting and talking about it extensively. Lou Dobbs discussed it. So did Newt Gingrich and Steve Doocy. Gingrich’s comment was particularly egregious. He said Seth “apparently was assassinated at four in the morning having given WikiLeaks something like 23,000 — I’m sorry 53,000 emails with 17,000 attachments. Nobody is investigating that. And what does that tell you about what was going on? Because it turns out, it wasn’t the Russians.”

On May 23, 2017, Fox News retracted the article — after Wheeler confirmed he’d never examined Rich’s laptop, after Wheeler said he had not gotten his information from FBI sources, and after the FBI said that it had played no part in the investigation of Rich’s murder and had not been given Seth’s laptop. Wheeler later sued Fox, claiming that Zimmerman made up his quotes. Seth’s parents wrote in the Washington Post last year that “Seth’s personal email and his personal computer were both inspected by detectives early in the investigation and that the inspection revealed no evidence of any communications with anyone at WikiLeaks or anyone associated with WikiLeaks.”

News organizations make mistakes all the time. Journalism is difficult, especially when trying to extract information from individuals, corporations, or government agencies who are trying to keep secrets or spin out their own false narratives. Retractions are, sadly, part of the business — even when reporters operate in good faith.

It’s hard to look at the Seth Rich case and see much evidence at all of good faith, or even an attempt at "good faith"

The above, written by a Conservative, for a Conservative publication.  Ya see, some Conservatives can actually be open-minded and reflective and not be bullied to believe everything they're told is factual or reflective of reality.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 109

@ChasKy53wrote:

@donnaw574413wrote:
I can back up plenty just not enough time to write all down and you are not interested anyway. Take a break!

Quite simply ................ I don't believe a word of it.

And the poster STILL hasn't....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 109

@donnaw574413wrote:
So its ok that Clinton raped a woman and you support that, as that is while he was President, Hillary kept having to cover for all the woman he abused in office. He was a rapist and an abuser of woman. Weiner was special also! There are many more and still coming out. I never liked Clinton as was another bad President, so who would want thatl rapist/abuser in the White House again with Hillary Pres. None of us!!

Yet you elected one anyways.....  Quite telling!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 109

@sp362wrote:

@donnaw574413wrote:
Butterfly thanks for your wisdom, it is so factual, you are judging Roy Moore and you don't know, we all don't know, he knows and the Lord would not be on his side, maybe that is why he lost, who are we to judge. I chose Trump when he was coming down the elevated that day to announce he was running so where are getting this nonsense as so many people have said the same thing as me as we were sick of both sides and he was an outsider, did you see any of the other 16 he went against win, no, Trump the outsider, I would think you and everyone would feel the same way, he really didn't want to be labeled a Republican or Democrat but had to choose the Rep.. He was as sick of Washington as all of us. He did not need this job and had a wonderful life but he was sick of it all and became President and a great one at that.

He won by hate, divisiveness and schoolyard bullying tactics.  I didn't vote for him because of his "maturity", his multiple failures, his total lack of experience and his unwillingness to be open about his businesses.

A thoughtful and open-minded Republican!!!  I KNEW you were "out there".  Thanks you for your thoughtful and intelligent contributions to this forum.  It's a much better forum with you posting here.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 109

@donnaw574413wrote:
Schiff is a liar and on everyday lying about everything, such an evil guy, Nunes is great and doing a great job, closing in on the corruption, why don't you like that, we need the swamp cleaned out, Dems and Rep alike.

The post above is a clear illustration of the dangers of propaganda televison.  Many loose the ability to think and reason objectively.  I'm reminded of the effect and impact Joseph Goebbels had on common Germans.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22