Honored Social Butterfly

Former Pence staffer and covid task force member now voting for Biden.

Olivia Troye says Trump has a "flat out disregard for life," during the pandemic.

The president’s rhetoric and his own attacks against people in his administration trying to do the work, as well as the promulgation of false narratives and incorrect information of the virus have made this ongoing response a failure,” she said.

Troye also condemned Trump in a video released by the group Republican Voters Against Trump, saying Trump once mused that the coronavirus was a good thing because he wouldn’t have to shake hands with as many people.

“I don’t like shaking hands with people,” Troye recalled the president saying. “I don’t have to shake hands with these disgusting people.” 

Troye says in the video that she’s a lifelong Republican but would “come home at night and look myself in the mirror and say, ‘Are you really making a difference?’”

But the biggest reason she is supporting Biden:

“I am voting for Joe Biden because I truly believe we are at a time of constitutional crisis. At this point it’s country over party,” she concluded.

Wow! Now that, is the definition of a Patriot!

Former Pence staffer and covid task force member now supports Biden. 

Honored Social Butterfly

More Republicans jumping ship !   Their sanity is returning, more will follow.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Social Butterfly

She will probably be accused of "sedition" a new term for people who disagree with Trump

Honored Social Butterfly

I am glad that this former Pence staffer found her way back to humanity.  And I am equally happy that she will be adding her vote for the Democratic team come November.

It is my hope that more and more Republican Americans will wake up and rise up to choose country over party so we can get this dangerous megalomaniac, Trump, out of office.  And while we're at it, we need to expel the vast majority of the current Republican cabal who have stood by and/or actively supported this man who should have never been president in the first place.  

BIDEN/HARRIS 2020

Honored Social Butterfly

Well Tom, as you say “Oops”!

Looks like more decent beans escaping the foul contents of the trump pence pot of all that is evil and UnAmerican. 
Is this the start of a bigger escape by trump administration officials who will speak out on who trump really is!...

Let’s hope so, there is a trend taking place. 

Honored Social Butterfly

William said, "Let’s hope so, there is a trend taking place. "
Sure seems to be from former staff members, to former top officials within the TRump Admin. They are all coming to their senses that we need to correct the situation, and to do that, we need to elect Joe Biden!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 wrote:
William said, "Let’s hope so, there is a trend taking place. "
Sure seems to be from former staff members, to former top officials within the TRump Admin. They are all coming to their senses that we need to correct the situation, and to do that, we need to elect Joe Biden!

The Trumptanic is sinking fast and its crew are leaving in life boats while the Trump supporting passengers are sitting in deck chairs .... denying that they're getting wet!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

you forgot to mention myexp, they are IGNORING and DENYING getting wet, LOL!
Esteemed Social Butterfly

I read about Olivia Troye in the Washington Post

So why did Troye stay?

Troye said she expects sharp denunciations from former colleagues in the administration and also expects to be denigrated by the White House and the president on Twitter.

“Honestly, I am scared,” she said. “I have never done anything like this.”

Troye has long had an obscure profile in Washington — working behind the scenes at the Pentagon as a political appointee during the George W. Bush administration and then as a career official at the Homeland Security and Energy departments during the Obama administration before joining the vice president’s office in 2018 as an employee detailed from DHS.

Troye said she was disturbed by the president’s handling of myriad issues over two years — most notably his “military dictator, false prophet-like” march to St. John’s Episcopal Church for a photo with the Bible this summer after protesters were cleared from Lafayette Square.

Thoughts during her tenure of leaving gave way to other considerations, she said. Troye held a key role on the coronavirus task force but also carried out an array of other duties for the vice president, advising him on mass shootings, immigration, hurricanes and some foreign affairs issues, she said. The vice president would sometimes dial her cellphone, Troye said.

“I was the 24-hours-on-call person for major events for two years for him in the role,” Troye said.

In private, she said, Pence would say the “right things” in calls to governors and “was in an impossible situation with the president.” Troye also praised a number of the administration’s top health officials.

Troye said she and other advisers regularly encountered a desire on the part of the president and his political advisers, along with some senior members of the vice president’s team, to move on from the coronavirus even as thousands were dying and to focus on the economy or the campaign. She was asked by senior Pence aides, she said, to help on an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal that minimized the fears of a second coronavirus wave and touted the administration’s work on the virus as a success story.

“It was ludicrous,” she said of the piece, which ran in June. Troye, however, said she helped write it.

There regularly were suggestions from Pence’s top political advisers for his coronavirus remarks “that I could just not support, and it became harder and harder to push back,” Troye said.

These advisers, Troye said, wanted to wind down the task force at the end of April. “In the middle of a pandemic, how could you do that?” she said.

She declined to name these Pence aides publicly but said there was consistent pressure from Pence’s senior officials to focus more on the economy and the reelection campaign. She added that she felt Pence’s top officials often showed derision toward the administration’s medical experts.

Asked about her own regrets, Troye said that she wished she had spoken out internally more often and that she had wrestled with many “sleepless nights” about her actions and time in the administration.

“I wished I had been more aggressive in fighting internal forces that were working against the CDC and other policies for the president’s personal agenda,” she said. “I wish I would have been more aggressive with the staff on the vice president’s team and some of the president’s staff.”

If Troye had been more "aggressive in fighting internal forces", I think we all know that her role with the task force would have been immediately terminated.

Honored Social Butterfly

What is unfortunate, is that the folks, like this young Woman, that have left the trump administration and Our Government, are exactly the decent, moral folks that we need to oversee our Government...but that appears to be what trump is doing, weeding out the “deep state”...those that disagree with him!
May I re-inject an old term to describe trump and his administration...”white trash”...they hate minorities, they have no morals or value system. Let’s term them who they really are...they are not Patriotic Americans. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png