Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
426
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

426 Views
Message 1 of 25

@gruffstuffwrote:
Cliches and talking points won't address that problem, the only thing that address poverty is giving children what they need to succeed and addressing the main driver of poverty in women, unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.

You don't mention that this would be far more economical than paying for the consequences of NOT doing so.  I suppose a system that could manage that is 'possible'....but it would not be a human society with human ethics.   Something else would make the determination of what was  good and what was bad. 

 

What you propose is good for the country and its people too.  Without a conduit into the minds of those who can't or won't see the logic in this....I don't suppose I ever will.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
426
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
459
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

459 Views
Message 2 of 25

I agree Gruff , that the vast majority of programs are and should be assisting our Senior's , Disabled and young children. I was pointing out that only 2% of our population is the stereo type " welfare case " that the Far Right always complain is killing our budget and Nation. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
459
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
465
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

465 Views
Message 3 of 25

  Where is your facts and figures? 

 

http://federalsafetynet.com/us-poverty-statistics.html

 

https://poverty.ucdavis.edu/faq/who-are-working-poor-america

 

40.6 million in poverty

 

13.3 million children

 

4.6 million 65 or older

 

4.1 million disabled

 

22.8 million adults 18 to 64 for which 51.8 % worked part of the year and 25,2 % worked 50 weeks or more.

 

Children, elderly, disabled and the working poor adults add up to 33.8 million or 83.25% of Americans living in poverty

 

Children, elderly, disabled and the full time working poor adults add up to 27.7 million or 68.3% of Americans living in poverty.

 

Uncle Sugar is a combination of Uncle Sam & Sugar Daddy, combined to refer to the generosity of the United States federal government in bestowing money and benefits on citizens. The usage of the term was reported widely when Mike Huckabee said it during a prominent meeting in January 2014, and his comments received widespread condemnation.
 
"And if the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing for them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it, let us take that discussion all across America because women are far more than the Democrats have played them to be." - Mike Huckabee, speaking at the Republican National Committee winter meeting, January 23, 2014.
 
Mike Huckabee and yourself might consider poverty a joke or a paid vacation for the poor but poverty affects us all. The days of lint pickers, oakum pickers, and coal slag pickers, child farm labor and  child sweatshop labor are over, those jobs don't exist anymore.
 
Machines do that work now, and that trend to use machines to reduce the cost of labor will continue and accelerate, the path out of poverty is education, and the bar is raised every year.
 
Cliches and talking points won't address that problem, the only thing that address poverty is giving children what they need to succeed and addressing the main driver of poverty in women, unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
465
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
479
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

479 Views
Message 4 of 25

That is close to $60 Billion per year and that wasn't FICA contributed ?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
479
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
486
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

486 Views
Message 5 of 25

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/whos-on-welfare-9-shocking-stats-about-public-assistance.htm...

 

Unless I'm missing something ? The above shows that in 2015 , 8.3 million people were not working and receiving Gov. assistance ( SSI avg. $698 per month ). So what's that - 2 or 3% of our total population ?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
486
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
511
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

511 Views
Message 6 of 25

@nctarheelwrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@nctarheel

 

Suggest you do more unbiased historical research on the time period. 

 

Suggest you engage studies with more depth of the thinking of the public at that time. 


I am a scholar on the period and take offense at your intimation that I need more knowledge in the area.

 

From your previous posts, it is clear your view of history has its own biased taint. ......

...... as well as an Anti-Semite  "taint"!


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
511
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
555
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

555 Views
Message 7 of 25

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@gruffstuffwrote:

Why work when Uncle Sugar will provide for all your wants

 

Most of the poor are very young, very old, or disabled.

 

So saying stuff like that is just ignorant, stupid, or mean.


Not necessarily.  It is making a blanket statement that most of the poor are very young, very old or disabled that is as you say. 

That was no "blanket statement" Tex... But your comment regarding "uncle sugar" and "ALL your wants" certainly was a "blanket statement"!

 

Call it whatever you want, but can you back your statement up?  Where is your facts and figures? 

YOU made the initial comment Tex .... without any facts, figures or back up!

 

So Tex ..... where are YOUR facts, figures and back up?


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
555
Views
Moderator
0
Kudos
576
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

576 Views
Message 8 of 25

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
576
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
579
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

579 Views
Message 9 of 25

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@nctarheel

 

Suggest you do more unbiased historical research on the time period. 

 

Suggest you engage studies with more depth of the thinking of the public at that time. 


I am a scholar on the period and take offense at your intimation that I need more knowledge in the area.

 

From your previous posts, it is clear your view of history has its own biased taint.

Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
579
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
582
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

582 Views
Message 10 of 25

@nctarheel

 

Suggest you do more unbiased historical research on the time period.  Of course we didn't want to get involved in an European war.  It wasn't our place to get into wars that we wasn't a part of, and after the First World War the country didn't want to get into another.

 

Further at the time we didn't go getting into wars that included religions, nor would it had been received by the American people.  I can accept that premise based on the non-support that the military received from the public with our involvement in Vietnam. 

 

Roosevelt already had his hands full dealing with Congress at the time, and it would have been difficult to persuade them to go to war with a country that had not attacked us.  And basically there was no reason to do so.  I sometimes believe that we should adopt that policy more now.

 

If you will note, this country had accepted refugees from religious persecution, including as you once posted your ancestors from Eastern Europe around the end of the 19th century.

 

Suggest you engage studies with more depth of the thinking of the public at that time. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
582
Views