Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Forget Great - Make America Good Again

Message 21 of 25

@ChasKy53wrote:

The saying "make America great again" prompts me to ask;  when was America "great"?

America was great back when we thought and believed we were great.  We pulled together, accomplished great things and won a war on both sides of the world.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

That's a tough one to answer. From the information I have at hand, it's hard to pin down what he considers 'great'. I can assume, though, that excessive military spending, a zenophobic approach to diplomacy, and the collapse of our social programs are all 'great' in his mind. But AFAIK, there's been no period in US history that really fits the bill. Maybe he wants to go back to end of the 19th century, when robber barons and sweat shops were the norm. Ahhh, the good ol' days...

But If I had to guess what period in US history the donald thinks was 'great', I'd say it was George Orwell's 1984. A true parasite.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

The saying "make America great again" prompts me to ask;  when was America "great"?

An answer to that question would explain to me what they want to go back to.  Unfortunately no one has answered that yet.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

@TappDoubtwrote:

Again, I wake up to hear of yet another shooting tragedy. The word 'senseless' doesn't even apply anymore. For many reasons, this has become the norm. I can't believe I'm saying that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

...Rather than focus on - then forget - this single incident, I needed to step back and look at the

Sign out of Facebook, then open a history book. There's nothing going on today that hasn't happened before in human history. Maybe, just maybe, we all could learn from that fact. Unless you believe that blowhards and corporate benefactors have your interests at heart. As for our president, he could most definitely use a crash course in human history.

Don't get your hopes up, though. Bullies are pretty well set in their ways. Ask around.

From what you say, you may find meaning, and perhaps some comfort, in the Ernie Sheldon lyrics from "BRING ME A ROSE" a song by the Womenfolk (1964) also sung by the Limelighters. You can see and hear it by going to the internet under lyrics.  The verses all end in "......It's so easy to forget." 

It seems the entire right end of the political spectrum, especially 'the donald' is using that characteristic in their strategy to accomplish the "norm" to which you refer.  I'd guess we see things alike in most instances...you and I.  BTW the post on Plutonomy is perceptive.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Forget Great - Make America Good Again

Message 25 of 25

Again, I wake up to hear of yet another shooting tragedy. The word 'senseless' doesn't even apply anymore. For many reasons, this has become the norm. I can't believe I'm saying that.

...Rather than focus on - then forget - this single incident, I needed to step back and look at the problem from a broader perspective. Only my opinion, of course, but I believe that we're under siege by the very leaders we (supposedly) elected. I've never been a partisan, so that doesn't factor into my conclusion. The overall problem is deep-rooted, and any solution will require some significant changes on our part. Sorry folks, no easy fix here. But, there's reason to hope.  

Getting to the root cause of this problem will address many others as well. It's systemic.

The national 'leaders' now control nearly every aspect of our citizen's lives.They're ALL culpable - Dems, GOP - makes no difference. I've seen both parties in and out of power many times, but nothing changes except ongoing erosion of the moral principles that our democratic republic used to represent. I fought for my country, and never could have imagined things becoming so convoluted.

Equal rights and equal opportunity sounds real good on paper, and even better when it's time for pols to choose which false promises they'll campaign with. It's as simple as that. After elected, it's back to business. Republicans or Democrats - there's not a dime's worth of difference. C'mon, folks, aren't you getting tired of having to choose between two sides of the same coin? This is America. Stop settling for the 'lesser of two evils'. Please!

Our nation's decay of justice, equality, safety, and economic responsibility did not happen overnight. I'm sure most folks here realize that. And the fact that this latest version of plutocratic capitalism is causing pain and suffering at an unprecedented rate. Prognosis: It's only going to get worse.

It really doesn't have to be that way, though. If we once again unite and put the needs of our country/fellow citizens ahead of our personal interests, the tide will begin to roll. A simple premise, but apparently much harder to implement than most citizens are willing to accept. Or should we blindly bow to the dictates and propaganda of the politicians we choose to represent us? How's that working out?

My friends, we're running out of time. The federal gov't and it's financiers are in control, and will not give that up easily. Slowly and methodically they've established roadblocks to our individual and national voices, and supplied a steady stream of propaganda to insure we remain divided. No, we're not Nazi Germany, but I see some frightening parallels to what happened in 1933. Ignore history at your own risk. No need for slogans or buzzwords here - it really is time for a change. REAL change.

When most of us begin to actively participate in our own government, we can reverse this process over time. The vote is still the best (perhaps only) weapon we have left to begin this turnaround. I can't do it, and you can't do it. But together we can at least slow down this runaway train - and that's a great start.

It will take time, patience, and a steady resolve. Then, vigilance to insure that things stay on track. Isn't that our responsibility as citizens? We have an awful lot of good people here in the US, and I think we all share enough common ground to band together in this time of need. I think y'all know where I'm going with this.

If you think swapping parties in congress will bring about the changes you want, then go ahead and vote your conscience. In that case, the best we can hope for is curtailing the flood of insane laws and dictates turning my country into a laughingstock. Better than nothing, but it won't be enough.

Sign out of Facebook, then open a history book. There's nothing going on today that hasn't happened before in human history. Maybe, just maybe, we all could learn from that fact. Unless you believe that blowhards and corporate benefactors have your interests at heart. As for our president, he could most definitely use a crash course in human history.

Don't get your hopes up, though. Bullies are pretty well set in their ways. Ask around.

Kudos
Views
Replies