AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Florida tightens gun laws in defiance of NRA

Message 11 of 26

@GailL1wrote:

@Richvawrote:

I think you have three situations to address:

1. He was totally bat-pucky crazy and should never have been allowed near any firearm and especially one as effective as the AR 15. 
  2. He was too immature to be trusted with a firearm as effective as the AR 15.
  3. Nobody without 6 months of firearms training should be allowed to possess a firearm as effective as an AR 15. 

You pick

I didn't know we were talking about "him" here rather I thought we were discussing if gun control laws should allow an 18 year old to buy a long gun of whatever type.

We already have on the books restrictions for those who are criminal and the ones that have been adjudicated for mental illness.  I would agree that this type of review needs to be strengthened - states have to report.  But those are things which have no age limit.

Maturity or Immaturity can't really be measured by an age especially when an 18 year old has some adult benefits bestowed on them already but not others.

Like I said, perhaps we need to classify semi-automatic guns in a separate category and add even more restriction for that category of guns.

I agree with your last statement. A complete and total ban of semi automatic rifles would be a good first step. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 26

@Richvawrote:

1. He was totally bat-pucky crazy and should never have been allowed near any firearm and especially one as effective as the AR 15. 
  3. Nobody without 6 months of firearms training should be allowed to possess a firearm as effective as an AR 15. 

You pick

I didn't know we were talking about "him" here rather I thought we were discussing if gun control laws should allow an 18 year old to buy a long gun of whatever type.

We already have on the books restrictions for those who are criminal and the ones that have been adjudicated for mental illness.  I would agree that this type of review needs to be strengthened - states have to report.  But those are things which have no age limit.

Maturity or Immaturity can't really be measured by an age especially when an 18 year old has some adult benefits bestowed on them already but not others.

Like I said, perhaps we need to classify semi-automatic guns in a separate category and add even more restriction for that category of guns.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 26

@Richvawrote:

@GailL1wrote:

@mickstuder

Yep, that is the Federal law and it is the long gun age that a lot of states have set at 18.  They can vote, they can go to war, they can drive legally, get a loan if they have income, they can get married and they can become a parent - some think that they should be able to buy a long gun.  I believe you can get a hunting license at 18 too.

It probably wouldn't even be an issue except that these type of semi's are considered in the long gun category.

Maybe they should make a separate classification for semi automatics - long guns and hand guns.

So is an 18 year old an adult?

You pick

All three in that particular case.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 26

@GailL1wrote:

@mickstuder

Yep, that is the Federal law and it is the long gun age that a lot of states have set at 18.  They can vote, they can go to war, they can drive legally, get a loan if they have income, they can get married and they can become a parent - some think that they should be able to buy a long gun.  I believe you can get a hunting license at 18 too.

It probably wouldn't even be an issue except that these type of semi's are considered in the long gun category.

Maybe they should make a separate classification for semi automatics - long guns and hand guns.

You pick

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 26

@mickstuder

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 26

@GailL1wrote:

@rker321wrote:

Gail   and where do you stand on this issue?  and do you think that the NRA will actually win this suit?  where in the world does the Constitution say anything about age and how any of this will be interpreted by the people that don't want to see any kind of restraints on the gun issue? 

Just IMO, no I don't think they will win 

I think it is just a (response) suit by the FL grande NRA leader - you know, the appearance of doing something to protect the 2nd amendment rights of 18 year olds to buy a rifle as their right of passage into hunting.

But it maybe a court case that needs to be decided - probably from the higher up legal minds in stages.

When does a person become an adult?  We seem to just wishy-wash along those lines depending upon political motivation.

Guess they could also compromise more and let that 18 year old have access to the ole single shot rifle; maybe the kind where the user has to insert the powder and the projectile.

We seem to be good at adding exceptions to our law and order.

I don't see how they can win - they are arguing the change in age from 18 to 21 is an infringement of this age groups 2nd ammendment rights

Here is the Federal Law as it stands right now - & from a Good Resouce - Gifford Law Center

Federal gun law .png

Source - http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/minimum-age/

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 26

@GailL1wrote:

Guess they could also compromise more and let that 18 year old have access to the ole single shot rifle; maybe the kind where the user has to insert the powder and the projectile.

Is restrictions the answer or education and training?  I was firing .22s at age 8 but with supervision and training.   When I retired from the military, I instructed my children using an air rifle since I didn't own guns.  I did so at that age so if in the future they were around firearms they had learned proper safety.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 26

@GailL1wrote:

Yep, we made a major exception by allowing this bullying, narcissistic, self serving cad into the White House!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 26

@rker321wrote:

Gail   and where do you stand on this issue?  and do you think that the NRA will actually win this suit?  where in the world does the Constitution say anything about age and how any of this will be interpreted by the people that don't want to see any kind of restraints on the gun issue? 

Just IMO, no I don't think they will win 

I think it is just a (response) suit by the FL grande NRA leader - you know, the appearance of doing something to protect the 2nd amendment rights of 18 year olds to buy a rifle as their right of passage into hunting.

But it maybe a court case that needs to be decided - probably from the higher up legal minds in stages.

When does a person become an adult?  We seem to just wishy-wash along those lines depending upon political motivation.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 26

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors