Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Five reasons ranked-choice voting will improve American democracy

Message 1 of 7

@ManicProgressive wrote:

We had like 10 people run for County Executive on the primary ticket here last year. The winner won by 300 votes or something ridiculous like that.  I would love to figure out how ranked choice voting would have impacted this race.  Yes, that would have been interesting.  The two top candidates were actually two of the worst, in my opinion.  "Best and worse" are kind of relative, aren't they?  But,I guess, maybe I’m a minority holding that opinion. Possibly....how was turnout?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

The only thing better than ranked choice voting would be to end Gerrymanders, but with a neoRepublican SCOTUS, perhaps ranked choice is better because it's obtainable.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Would certainly look like a really good option, especially since we now have a system for the presidential elections that a less popular candidate can get elected when losing the popular vote by 3 million 

ballots...that’s not right!

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

We had like 10 people run for County Executive on the primary ticket here last year. The winner won by 300 votes or something ridiculous like that.  I would love to figure out how ranked choice voting would have impacted this race.  The two top candidates were actually two of the worst, in my opinion.  But,I guess, maybe I’m a minority holding that opinion.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Cool!  Wasn't aware of that. Sure prevents a horrible candidate from getting elected when there are two other good candidates that split the vote.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

We will be using ranked choice in New Mexico this year.  Should be interesting but much more effective. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Five reasons ranked-choice voting will improve American democracy

Message 7 of 7

Five reasons ranked-choice voting will improve American democracy

Harvard economist Eric Maskin says the system, just used in Maine, doesn’t faze voters, eliminates the problem of “spoiler” candidates, and better reflects what voters want.

Now that Maine has become the first state in the nation to use ranked-choice voting for congressional elections, what’s next? Will we see this voting method gather more steam? Or will the status quo win out? Already, cities such as Memphis, Amherst, and Las Cruces, New Mexico, are planning to change their municipal elections to let voters rank candidates, following big cities such as San Francisco and Minneapolis, and smaller ones such as Cambridge and Telluride, Colorado. I am involved in an effort to get Massachusetts to follow Maine’s lead at the state level.

There are good reasons for the growing interest in ranked-choice voting. Under the plurality rule voting system predominant in the United States, each citizen votes for a single candidate, and the candidate with the most votes wins, even if far short of a majority. Thus, this year in Massachusetts, Lori Trahan won the Democratic primary in the Third District despite getting only 22 percent of the vote. Back in 2016, Donald Trump won the Republican primary in Arkansas with only 33 percent of the vote; two-thirds of Republicans preferred someone else. In fact, at least one poll at the time found Trump would have lost to either Marco Rubio or Ted Cruzin a one-on-one contest. Instead, they split the anti-Trump vote, handing him victory.

ranked-choice voting system remedies these flaws by allowing a voter to rank candidates in order of preference. If a candidate gets a majority of the first-place votes, she is elected. Otherwise, the candidate ranked first by the fewest voters is dropped, with that person’s ballots going to the second-place choices of her voters. The process repeats until a majority winner emerges — no candidate can win with a mere third of the vote. Moreover, the danger of vote splitting is greatly reduced.

more at:  Five reasons ranked-choice voting will improve American democracy

Time for us to quit living in the 1700's and moderize our political processes....

Kudos
Views
Replies