AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Female Physicians Do Not Work Hard

Message 1 of 10

The good doctor Tigges did seem to think it was acceptable, that it would mean something to someone and accomplish something of worth to someone or something.  Can't think why he'd run his mouth that way otherwise.

He apparently didn't think it would go public.  He later apologized.  If he didn't think 'that way' I don't think he would have said it 'that way'.   Didn't have to , y'know? I'd almost bet he never thought anyone in Texas would see things differently.  

He apparently blames Ambien for his faux pas.  His field is internal medicine...he knows the side effects.  One has to wonder if he ever takes Ambien before seeing patients. Just sayin'.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

And then it gets worse - when his explanation / excuse for his misogynistic egotism was that he didn't do that his statements were going to be made public.

HUH, he was being interviewed by the Dallas Morning News.    What a jerk.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Not that long ago Tigges' sexist comment would've gone unchallenged. Good this is no longer the case, but the fact he felt he could and should say this in a public forum is proof we have a long way to go.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

Most of the time, their priority is something else. Family, social, whatever."

One of my doctors is a woman, and she is the most skilled, hardest working, most intelligent,  and most compassionate doctor I've ever had.

She is head and shoulders above the men.

She does all of that while also being a wife and a mother,  when her husband didn't want to be married anymore and they went though a nasty divorce that didn't stop her from helping people or harden her heart.

Really just an exceptional person and a great doctor.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

This physician's misogynistic statement proves that education does not make one less a boorish twit. Hope EVERY FEMALE patient he has ever had or those he might have had go to one of his hard working female counterparts.

His words tell us this is a monumental asinine fool.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

It's a dead certainty that when choosing a physician, there will be a number of people in the Plano-Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan region - especially women - who will consult any number of online resources that will retain mention of his words for some time - will consider the nature of what he said - consider that there may well be a probability that he might still retain an unconscious bias that might adversely affect the quality of care they might receive from him - and will as a result seek "any other" physician...

No sense in taking a chance with a physician who would - by saying something like that - reveal that's what and how he thinks...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

This physician’s misogynistic statement proves that education does not make one less a boarish twit. Hope EVERY FEMALE patient he has ever had or those he might have had go to one of his hard working female counterparts.

His words tell us this is a monumental asinine fool.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

Male nurses make more than female nurses, and there is no reason for that other than sexism. Female nurses have been around much longer, in much larger numbers.  And my female doctor friends constant,yo complain that when they are at research conferences, they get introdiced by their first names instead of as Dr. Jones.

Needless to say, this guy’s attitude doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

He should have and glad he did.

I don't know but the couple of female Dr's I have don't rush me, take their time w/ my appointments, and I do hope get paid well.

I have had a couple of male Drs who rushed me w/.my appointment, had me wait 2 hrs for a 15 minute talk w/me. The 2nd appt was an hr, and a longer talk. If my next appt is long I intend to change Dr.'s. HE is NO where near as GOOD a Dr.'s whose place he took when SHE DIED.

I sure hope the female Dr. who did my husbands 10 heart by-passses was good, or else he's in trouble.!!

woman dr.jpg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10
@gordyfl
He should have and glad he did.

I don't know but the couple of female Dr's I have don't rush me, take their time w/ my appointments, and I do hope get paid well.

I have had a couple of male Drs who rushed me w/.my appointment, had me wait 2 hrs for a 15 minute talk w/me. The 2nd appt was an hr, and a longer talk. If my next appt is long I intend to change Dr.'s. HE is NO where near as GOOD a Dr.'s whose place he took when SHE DIED.

I sure hope the female Dr. who did my husbands 10 heart by-passses was good, or else he's in trouble.!!
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Female Physicians Do Not Work Hard

Message 10 of 10

Texas Doctor Gary Tigges said:

"Female physicians do not work as hard and do not see as many patients as male physicians.
This is because they choose to, or they simply don't want to be rushed, or they don't want to work the long hours. Most of the time, their priority is something else. Family, social, whatever."

The comments appeared in the journal's "Women in Medicine Issue."

Dr. Tigges apologizes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/02/texas-doctor-apologizes-saying-women-do-not-work-hard...

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors