Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Federal E-Verify Law Would Mean Major Changes for U.S. Employers

Message 1 of 13

@afisher wrote:

It is bizarre, that those who argue against legislation that they don't like will say that the FED is encroaching on their rights.    But when it is something that they agree with, they turn on a dime and demand that every State do as they say.    Is that hypocrisy?   

No Fisher, is  Alternative facts,  is convenience and justification of what they  want, is Fake News, is whatever they want to call it as long as it is , what they wamt to do

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

It is bizarre, that those who argue against legislation that they don't like will say that the FED is encroaching on their rights.    But when it is something that they agree with, they turn on a dime and demand that every State do as they say.    Is that hypocrisy?   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

@GailL1 wrote:

Let's add a bit more to fire to this pot; at least until I can secure enough time to answer some of these recent  (WOW) post.

PRI Reuters 12/31/2018 - Mexican President Hopes Tax Cuts Will Deter Migration to U.S.

An executive order in the government's official gazette granted lower rates for both value-added and income taxes in more than 40 municipalities bordering the United States, an area that has become a flashpoint over US President Donald Trump's policies to deter immigrants, including building a wall.

Lopez Obrador's tax cuts could reduce government tax income during 2019, when he will implement a budget that seeks to use spending cuts to help fund new social welfare and infrastructure projects.

At an event in Monterrey in the northern state of Nuevo Leon on Saturday, Lopez Obrador said the minimum wage in the northern strip of municipalities would rise to 177 pesos ($9.00), nearly double the national level, starting Jan. 1, and that fuel prices would be set on a par with US prices.

"This is a very important project to boost investment and job creation," Lopez Obrador told business leaders.

The decree seeks to give an edge to northern Mexican businesses, which compete with US-based companies across the border.

Maybe it won't be all that long before Mexico will consider that "Third Safe Country" Alliance like we have with Canada.  Then they can build the walls.

If they want to stop or slow migrants coming from the Latin Northern Triangle -

they build the wall at their Southern border.

If they want to keep these migrants in Mexico - they build the wall at the northern border.

OR simpler yet, sign a "Third Safe Country" Alliance with us 

Remember folks - Don't buy "Made in China" but DO buy "Made in Mexico" - let's help them out and ourselves and these migrants at the same time.

Hopefully what you are saying comes to pass.  b ut, we this new Administration , I don't see real relations between the US and Mexico flourishing.      

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

Let's add a bit more to fire to this pot; at least until I can secure enough time to answer some of these recent  (WOW) post.

PRI Reuters 12/31/2018 - Mexican President Hopes Tax Cuts Will Deter Migration to U.S.

An executive order in the government's official gazette granted lower rates for both value-added and income taxes in more than 40 municipalities bordering the United States, an area that has become a flashpoint over US President Donald Trump's policies to deter immigrants, including building a wall.

Lopez Obrador's tax cuts could reduce government tax income during 2019, when he will implement a budget that seeks to use spending cuts to help fund new social welfare and infrastructure projects.

At an event in Monterrey in the northern state of Nuevo Leon on Saturday, Lopez Obrador said the minimum wage in the northern strip of municipalities would rise to 177 pesos ($9.00), nearly double the national level, starting Jan. 1, and that fuel prices would be set on a par with US prices.

"This is a very important project to boost investment and job creation," Lopez Obrador told business leaders.

The decree seeks to give an edge to northern Mexican businesses, which compete with US-based companies across the border.

Maybe it won't be all that long before Mexico will consider that "Third Safe Country" Alliance like we have with Canada.  Then they can build the walls.

If they want to stop or slow migrants coming from the Latin Northern Triangle -

they build the wall at their Southern border.

If they want to keep these migrants in Mexico - they build the wall at the northern border.

OR simpler yet, sign a "Third Safe Country" Alliance with us 

Remember folks - Don't buy "Made in China" but DO buy "Made in Mexico" - let's help them out and ourselves and these migrants at the same time.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@retiredtraveler wrote:

As always, complex issue. From your link:

".....Pro-immigration activists say they oppose a national E-Verify mandate unless it includes some kind of help for the unauthorized workers who are already here.

“There are millions and millions of people in that situation and millions of employers who depend on their labor”......".

From what I know, anecdotally, all over the country, it's largely the same. Illegals take jobs that white folks won't do, but white folks complain.

Yes, I'm hugely stereotyping, but I've seen this first hand also having worked on a factory floor and DW having worked for manufacturing facilities (as a white collar), and showing me around. As I have gazed over the factory area, it's a sea of black and brown faces. 

E-verify might help keeping illegals out, but whose going to work in these manufacturing facilities? 

Give everybody already here (about 11 Million they say) a Green Card UNLESS they have some conviction for a violent crime. Give their kids a chance to take and pass the Immigration/Natuarization exam and become citizens when they turn 18 UNLESS they have some conviction for a violent crime.

THEN seize the assests of any employer who hires anyone WITHOUT proof of citizenship or a green card and sell the assets at auction to pay for border security.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Are we supposed to believe that employers have a terribly hard time identifying documented workers? If it's that darned hard, then how come ICE always knows where to raid.

Simplest solution - if a business is found to have undocumented workers, they forfeit all the business' assets. It's the same thing the legal system already does to criminals - e.g. someone gets busted with drugs in their car, they forfeit their car.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@GailL1 wrote:

So do you think E-Verify would ever be part of the solution to cutting down on the numbers of undocumented aliens coming here for work?   Yes, when is done consistently. and all employers are mandated to do so.

Mexico would be building a wall (their own) if we could get them to take a "safe third nation"  agreement like we have with Canada. Perhaps we should do away with our agreement with Canada so folks can travel freely with no rules or barriers through our country. I will again forgive your naivete regarding Mexico relations with the US. and their lack of doing anything to benefit the US. I do believe that you need to understand the idiosincracy of this nation and their culture.

Perhaps years down the road as Mexico does improve as a nation, they will think they should be such a nation class -  or maybe not since they would have all this to deal with -  In today's economy, Mexioo for a long time now, has been quite a rich country and thanks to the US Companies that have moved there, you really don't have the Mexican immigration that it used to exist. 

Trump didn't start this problem - it has been going on in previous Administrations.  Immigration especially asylum seekers have been giving many of our last Presidents their own headaches ( from running into these brick walls).  Trump is the 1st one causing this much controversy over it. I wouldn't mind the controversy if he only told Congress and the Senate to simply come up with a comprehensive immigration law and he still  can use his Executive orders to do something about it hat would be useful like for example, deploy hundered of immigration judges to deal with the backlog and deport people that don't qualify  inmediately.

What is it gonna take for Congress to fix it?  How can they fix it? Their love for their jobs. and the fact that they have always been to scare to do anything for thier country instead  for themselves. they only count the votes that they will not have and whoare the ones that will not like the idea.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

As always, complex issue. From your link:

".....Pro-immigration activists say they oppose a national E-Verify mandate unless it includes some kind of help for the unauthorized workers who are already here.

“There are millions and millions of people in that situation and millions of employers who depend on their labor”......".

Without legal work status for those already here, .....E-Verify means “shifting people into the underground economy where they’re not paying taxes and they’re more vulnerable to abuse.”

However, some longtime opponents of E-Verify recently have changed sides. Some business groups, for example, now say they would prefer a national standard to rules that vary by state and are hard to enforce.....".

I've posted in the past that I have several inlaws in the Chicago area who work for companies with large factories. They know they have a lot of illegals working for them. The inlaws would like to have good, enforced, immigration laws too. But, they can't get people to work in these factories. It's repetitive, hard work. White folks don't apply. Few Black folks apply or stay.The illegals show up, on time, sober, no drugs, and do these crappy jobs day in/day out. They start at least 30% over min wage, have 'regular' benes, and make a living at these jobs.

From what I know, anecdotally, all over the country, it's largely the same. Illegals take jobs that white folks won't do, but white folks complain.

Yes, I'm hugely stereotyping, but I've seen this first hand also having worked on a factory floor and DW having worked for manufacturing facilities (as a white collar), and showing me around. As I have gazed over the factory area, it's a sea of black and brown faces. 

E-verify might help keeping illegals out, but whose going to work in these manufacturing facilities? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@GailL1 wrote:

Yep, such a messed up system - 

Pew Charitable Trust - Stateline 09/14/2017 - Federal E-Verify Law Would Mean Major Changes for U.S....

So if you think it is Important for employers to know the work status of their employees and thus help the country get a handle on undocumented workers - how would you fix this?

Seems verifying an individual's work status would be a very hard angle to use to deter undocumented workers - 

Rights, Freedoms and Having A Say sometimes gets in the way of government control legislation done for some supposedly worthwhile national good.

Requiring people or employers to do something in this country is akin to herding chicken - so perhaps building a border wall all around us is the simpliest solution - because we seem to already be hitting our heads against brick walls such as this.

In my mind one thing that makes this entire problem even worse are State Governors and City Mayors that work to subvert current Federal laws.  Sanctuary Cities and now States come to mind...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

@GailL1 wrote:

Trump didn't start this problem - it has been going on in previous Administrations.  Immigration especially asylum seekers have been giving many of our last Presidents their own headaches ( from running into these brick walls).  Trump is the 1st one causing this much controversy over it.

What is it gonna take for Congress to fix it?  How can they fix it?

I think you are confusing problems. Immigration reform will require serious discussions about the needs of our country and the advantages of having a steady influx of individuals willing to sacrifice almost everything in order to live and prosper here. 

Building a wall will require one moron with a bumper sticker slogan who has a following of morons who do not realize he keeps changing the terms of the deal to fit his extremely limited abilities to deliver. 

Kudos
Views