Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Favorite President

Message 1 of 5

Thinking about who my favorite president were led me to a startling conclusion.  For me, most of the front runners were democrats, which is somewhat startling.  But the really startling part is they would all be republicans today.  For example, I voted for and liked JFK a lot.  I think he had the potential to be our greatest president had he lived to achieve his potential.  But what democrat today believes that you should "ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."  Today it's "Vote for us and we'll give you stuff." 

What democrat today would dare propose putting the unemployed to work but sending their pay to their family?  That's what FDR did when he created the CCC and, while not my favorite, was probably the greatest president we ever had.

But my personal favorite was Truman.  He was my kind of guy.  He once wrote to a reporter: "Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!"   If Twitter had been available we would undoubtedly have heard more from him than we do from Trump.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5
Yep its hard to point to one. Divisiveness is not leadership... so recent presidents that have been divisive can be ruled out... D and R. i have to go with FDR, since Obama and Carter were not far enough to the left for me. Clinton was a right winger in sheeps clothing. Maybe Obama could have done more if he had had a slavish congress.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@BeBa789wrote:

It is a toss up, Jimmy Carter was my first election and I still love him as a person today. Obama is probably really is my all time favorite. He gave class back to the office, both he and his wife. NEVER a scandal like this boy child we have in there now. Trump is either mentally ill or morally corrupt or just not a smart man. I think it is alot of all three.

I am 99% in agreement.

Obama was faced with a decimated auto industry, a banking disaster that almost ruined the country, and a terrorist that had evaded justice for years. He "righted" the sinking auto industry and sinking financial industry, and had bin Laden tracked down and eliminated.

The only other President I would possibly rate higher than Obama was FDR as he pulled us through the depression and guided the country during World War II.

Carter is the best ex-President we have ever had. He has created several charitable organizations in his retirement that have made the world a better place.

You 100% correct as to our present occupant of the White House. His personality is so perverted that I can say with confidence he will resign prior to completion of his first term.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@BeBa789wrote:

It is a toss up, Jimmy Carter was my first election and I still love him as a person today. Obama is probably really is my all time favorite. He gave class back to the office, both he and his wife. NEVER a scandal like this boy child we have in there now. Trump is either mentally ill or morally corrupt or just not a smart man. I think it is a lot of all three.

I see your point.  'The donald' meets more than one criteria professionals set for sociopaths and psychopaths.  He falls high on the scale sometimes used for evaluation.  That's an observation.  I have never met the man or spoken to him.  I have to say that as a qualification. 

Compared to rational ethical standards accepted by 'most' people 'the donald' is morally and ethically corrupt.  Those standards are historical and documented, occurring in most cultures. He violates those standards daily, in public and without visible concern. I don't necessarily think 'the donald' is immoral so much as he is amoral by choice.  He knows the difference between right and wrong....he just doesn't allow that to get in his way. His supporters seem to share that characteristic and he exploits it.  So does the Republican Party leadership.  

'The donald's' mental capacity is often questioned.  He's not 'smart' in the way most people might see it.. 'Cunning' might be more accurate. Different kind of smarts.  Read Machiavelli's "The Prince" and you will better see what I mean.

My favorite president....well, I don't know that I have just one, truth be told.  More than one President qualified as a 'statemen'. That does count a lot with me.  We have had no woman POTUS...yet. We have had 'stateswomen'. I have never agreed with ALL of what ANY of them said or did. None ever said or did things 'the donald' says and does regularly.    

IF you don't like what 'the donald' does or represents, you do need to do whatever you can to make sure the power structure that supports this kind of thing changes in November.  Your vote alone may not be enough.  That means you have a job cut out for you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Favorite President

Message 5 of 5

It is a toss up, Jimmy Carter was my first election and I still love him as a person today. Obama is probably really is my all time favorite. He gave class back to the office, both he and his wife. NEVER a scandal like this boy child we have in there now. Trump is either mentally ill or morally corrupt or just not a smart man. I think it is alot of all three.

Kudos
Views
Replies