Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 21 of 25

And then some folks prefer to deny what is happening before their very eyes...

Exactly! If the Trump right wing conspiracy theories about Flynn, which Jim keeps uploading everyday, were true, the FBI would have dropped the charges by now. But guess what? Please open your eyes, they are still charging Flynn with LYING TO THE FBI.

Could you ever imagine that our National Security Advisor would LIE to the FBI?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

And then some folks prefer to deny what is happening before their very eyes...

As I stated today in the column, the Flynn material discloses additional evidence of a hostile intent to target key Trump aides, including the use of a law that is notoriously and presumptively unconstitutional.  The material reflects a wild search for any ground upon which Flynn could be entrapped.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

Another conspiracy theory! (Yawn) I mean, wow!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

And then there is reality.

Mr. Flynn dissembled about the call, and his lies were made public, exposing him to potential blackmail by Russia. He then lied to the F.B.I. about it, was indicted and ultimately entered a guilty plea in December 2017 for those false statements. He is now seeking to withdraw that plea, resulting in the release of this new material.

Three of the pages of new material released this week show the F.B.I. discussing at what time in their conversation with Mr. Flynn they should warn him that lying is a crime. They are balancing his rights with the need to learn the truth and assessing how to do so without rattling him. Far from entrapment, that is standard operating procedure.

The fourth page of the documents consists of notes debating precisely the issues that Mr. Trump accuses the F.B.I. of barreling past. The notes include the question of “What’s our goal” and query whether it is “Truth/admission or get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired?”

Given the gravity of the situation, it would have been malpractice not to at least ask those questions as they prepared. The F.B.I. agents were confronted with a senior national security official who had already had a conversation with Russia that raised serious legal issues and had already lied about it. The notes are examining the two basic options in the situation: Mr. Flynn can tell the truth or lie, with consequences flowing accordingly.

When the F.B.I. has serious evidence of wrongdoing, it is normal to put targets in this bind. Law enforcement seldom puts all its cards on the table when questioning a suspect. This is not “entrapment,” where one is induced to commit a crime. Rather, the F.B.I. was trying to elicit the truth of whether a crime had already been committed. The alternative would be to lay out all the evidence (which the notes also discuss). But that would have put accountability and our national security at risk by possibly discouraging Mr. Flynn from talking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/opinion/trump-flynn-fbi.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytopinion

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

“Far More Troubling”

Message 25 of 25

“Far More Troubling”: Flynn Document Release Could Foreshadow Blockbuster Report

BY:  Jonathan Turley

Last night, many of us were digesting the highly disturbing documents released in the case of former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.  As I discussed this morning in a Hill column, the documents reveal an effort to entrap Flynn, including the use of a blatantly unconstitutional statute to achieve that “goal.” However, there appears far more than has not been released, according to various sources. 

The release of the Flynn documents highlight what  Attorney General William Barr said on “The Ingraham Angle” on April 10th and stated that “far more troubling” material will be released as a result of the investigation of U.S. Attorney John Durham. I believe it is a mistake for Barr to give such foreshadowing interviews before the release of the Durham report.

While I agree with Barr ordering these reviews (and his view of the evidence so far), these interviews only undermine the credibility and that of the eventual report. (For full disclosure, I testified in favor of Barr’s confirmation before the Senate Judiciary Committee). 

Putting that aside, the evidence strongly supports Barr’s effort to force the disclosure of material that has been buried despite the claims of full investigations by Congress and the Inspector General.  Bizarrely, the media and many liberal commentators are struggling to ignore these troubling disclosu...and the obvious abuses that they reflect within the Justice Department.

Barr stated that “My own view is that the evidence shows that we’re not dealing with just the mistakes or sloppiness.”  He added “there was something far more troubling here. We’re going to get to the bottom of it. And if people broke the law and we can establish that with the evidence, they will be prosecuted.”  Referring to the Russian investigation as “one of the greatest travesties in American history — without any basis,” he stated that the evidence shows “a whole pattern of events while he was president … to sabotage the presidency … or at least have the effect of sabotaging the presidency.”

Once again, I agree with Barr on the damning character of this evidence and what is emerging as the likely political purpose or bias behind decisions at the Justice Department at the start of the Trump Administration.  Despite the rationalizations of media experts, this is one of the most thuggish records I have seen as a criminal defense attorney.  This was not an effort to investigate a crime, it was an effort to create a crime.  Flynn had not committed any crime in meeting with the Russian and the Logan Act is universally denounced as unenforceable and unconstitutional.  So these top Justice officials were planning to create a crime for which Flynn might be prosecuted solely out of the desire to prosecute him or force him out of office.

The remarks do indicate that the Durham investigation is at an advanced stage. Many of us have heard that Durham was not satisfied with the Inspector General’s report and has found potentially criminal conduct.

As I stated today in the column, the Flynn material discloses additional evidence of a hostile intent to target key Trump aides, including the use of a law that is notoriously and presumptively unconstitutional.  The material reflects a wild search for any ground upon which Flynn could be entrapped.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors