Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fake News (I)

Message 1 of 3

@formerlyFredSmif wrote:

So, headline says "Florida schoolboy arrested after refusing to recite pledge of allegiance". Other sources have similar headlines.

But delve into the article and it's always that the schoolboy was arrested for something other than "refusing to recite pledge of allegiance".

Now, whether or not the arrest was warranted is another story. (I myself think arrest was overkill.)(well, at least they didn't kill him! not unheard of these days.)

But the fact remains that, indeed, he was arrested after "refusing to recite pledge of allegiance". Not before. But after. It might just as well have been arrested for shoplifting "after refusing to recite pledge of allegiance".

Context is very important.

I remember the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago. At that time Chicago had 3 major newspapers, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Daily News, and the Sun-Times. An article in the Daily News quoted someone, I don't recall exactly who or exactly what. But it gave one impression of what was intended by the speaker. The Tribune (with a more conservative stance) gave the same quote...but removed the last couple of words, leading to an impression of what was intended that was 180° opposite of what was actually said (and more to the detriment of the liberal speaker). Why would they do such a thing?

Editing to add: The recent "arrest" headline is from a relatively liberal press group. The misquoted quote is from a conservative press group. The conclusion I intended to put out was that anyone interested in the "news" should seek out several sources and cross-check the reporting. Come to your own conclusions. Don't simply accept what the talking heads on television are saying, or the "news" blips on Facebook, etc. Seek out several trusted, reputable sources. And don't become "siloed"...just hearing news that reinforces your own thinking, be challenged!

You're right, all the headlines I've read said "Arrested after...", not "Arrested for..."  Unfortunately, in this age of texting and shortspeak in Twitter, etc., it is about grabbing the most attention with the least words.  Most people have short attention spans and usually don't read an entire article.  Newpapers use headlines to hook readers, but often people do not go much beyond that headline and they tend to see what they want to see, consciously or not.

I do not watch TV news, especially because of the talking heads.  They're cheap programs to produce, that's why they inundate the 24/7 cable news programs.  Even when watching an event live, it irks me when there is someone analyzing what is happening or what was said, whether it be Fox, MSNBC, or CNN.  I may agree wholeheartedly with what they're saying, but I do not form my opinion based on what they say.

I do tend to seek out news sources that have solid reps.  A few Pulitzers never hurt either.  But I try to look at both sides of the media spectrum, just to get the 'whole' story.

But yes, FredSmif, you make a good point.  Don't always take for gospel the first thing you perceive, good idea to delve a little deeper for details.  Taking a few stats and headlines and spewing them out as facts when they can easily be debunked because they were taken out of context just makes one look and sound stupid and ignorant.  I think we all know a good example of that.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fake News I

Message 2 of 3

@formerlyFredSmif 

Good point. Context is very important, whether in the written or video media. Even here in this forum, comments are taken out of context to make a point, which was not intended by the author of the post. 

On the plus side, it’s good that we have multiple sources to determine when bias 

is placed by taking info or quotes out of context. 

My our press stay free!

Never Forget 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Fake News (I)

Message 3 of 3

So, headline says "Florida schoolboy arrested after refusing to recite pledge of allegiance". Other sources have similar headlines.

But delve into the article and it's always that the schoolboy was arrested for something other than "refusing to recite pledge of allegiance".

Now, whether or not the arrest was warranted is another story. (I myself think arrest was overkill.)(well, at least they didn't kill him! not unheard of these days.)

But the fact remains that, indeed, he was arrested after "refusing to recite pledge of allegiance". Not before. But after. It might just as well have been arrested for shoplifting "after refusing to recite pledge of allegiance".

I remember the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago. At that time Chicago had 3 major newspapers, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Daily News, and the Sun-Times. An article in the Daily News quoted someone, I don't recall exactly who or exactly what. But it gave one impression of what was intended by the speaker. The Tribune (with a more conservative stance) gave the same quote...but removed the last couple of words, leading to an impression of what was intended that was 180° opposite of what was actually said (and more to the detriment of the liberal speaker). Why would they do such a thing?

Editing to add: The recent "arrest" headline is from a relatively liberal press group. The misquoted quote is from a conservative press group. The conclusion I intended to put out was that anyone interested in the "news" should seek out several sources and cross-check the reporting. Come to your own conclusions. Don't simply accept what the talking heads on television are saying, or the "news" blips on Facebook, etc. Seek out several trusted, reputable sources. And don't become "siloed"...just hearing news that reinforces your own thinking, be challenged!

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors