Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
426
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

426 Views
Message 21 of 73

I recall Trump claiming he saved American jobs at Carrier, gave them huge tax breaks to do so, and sure enough, Carrier is eliminating the jobs they're not moving to Mexico.

 

It happens regardless of who is president. Carrier just proved how easily Trump can be played.

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
426
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
428
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

428 Views
Message 22 of 73

@aruzinsky wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:




 

But, I submit that Obama is partially responsible for his initial increase in unemployment.  Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects, especially when the psychological cause is anticipation.  I believe that corporate leaders found Obama's socialist behaviour so repugnant that it caused a nearly instantaneous increase in unemployment.  Similarly, corporate leaders found Trump's pro-capitalism behaviour so agreeable, that unemployment declined nearly instantaneously.

 

 


So, you are actually stating that owners of profitable businesses who were making money immediately decided they needed to let workers go and make less money?


No. You immorally edited out the part of my quote that addressed that:

 

"The logic is that owners of profitable businesses, who were making money, immediately decided they needed to let American workers go to save money, and, in some cases, move operations to another country."

 

"Save money" means make more money than they would have, otherwise.    


Exactly which of your posts has that phrase in it. 

It is obvious you are either very naive, or have no clue how a business works.  A business does not decide to simply shut down domestics operations today and open up in a foreign country tomorrow.  There is a lead time involved.  If, as you say, they moved overseas to "save money", they would have moved or will move anyway regardless of who is President.  No profitable business is going to do what you said. 

You have to explain your " Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects" statement in relation to business decisions.  Business owners who practice this type of business usually have other adjectives in front of their total like "ex" or "bankrupt"."


"Exactly which of your posts has that phrase in it."  -  What phrase? 

What you are accusing me of "immorally editing out".

 

"There is a lead time involved." Give me your estimate of the average lead time. 

It depends on whether or not they were exploring it before or, simply decide today we are going. There are discussions to be had with overseas manufacturers, possibly a factory to be built, supply chains and distribution chains to coordinate, tooling to be completed, workers to be trained, etc.  You are looking at over a year from your initial decision to go overseas, unless you started the process already, then it is much shorter.

 

"If, as you say, they moved overseas to "save money", they would have moved or will move anyway regardless of who is President. "  - Huh?

That should be an obvious statement to respond to.  We have had businesses off-shoring for years.

 


 

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
428
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
418
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

418 Views
Message 23 of 73

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:




 

But, I submit that Obama is partially responsible for his initial increase in unemployment.  Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects, especially when the psychological cause is anticipation.  I believe that corporate leaders found Obama's socialist behaviour so repugnant that it caused a nearly instantaneous increase in unemployment.  Similarly, corporate leaders found Trump's pro-capitalism behaviour so agreeable, that unemployment declined nearly instantaneously.

 

 


So, you are actually stating that owners of profitable businesses who were making money immediately decided they needed to let workers go and make less money?


No. You immorally edited out the part of my quote that addressed that:

 

"The logic is that owners of profitable businesses, who were making money, immediately decided they needed to let American workers go to save money, and, in some cases, move operations to another country."

 

"Save money" means make more money than they would have, otherwise.    


Exactly which of your posts has that phrase in it. 

It is obvious you are either very naive, or have no clue how a business works.  A business does not decide to simply shut down domestics operations today and open up in a foreign country tomorrow.  There is a lead time involved.  If, as you say, they moved overseas to "save money", they would have moved or will move anyway regardless of who is President.  No profitable business is going to do what you said. 

You have to explain your " Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects" statement in relation to business decisions.  Business owners who practice this type of business usually have other adjectives in front of their total like "ex" or "bankrupt"."


"Exactly which of your posts has that phrase in it."  -  What phrase?

 

"There is a lead time involved." Give me your estimate of the average lead time.

 

"If, as you say, they moved overseas to "save money", they would have moved or will move anyway regardless of who is President. "  - Huh?

 

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
418
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
406
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

406 Views
Message 24 of 73

@aruzinsky wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:




 

But, I submit that Obama is partially responsible for his initial increase in unemployment.  Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects, especially when the psychological cause is anticipation.  I believe that corporate leaders found Obama's socialist behaviour so repugnant that it caused a nearly instantaneous increase in unemployment.  Similarly, corporate leaders found Trump's pro-capitalism behaviour so agreeable, that unemployment declined nearly instantaneously.

 

 


So, you are actually stating that owners of profitable businesses who were making money immediately decided they needed to let workers go and make less money?


No. You immorally edited out the part of my quote that addressed that:

 

"The logic is that owners of profitable businesses, who were making money, immediately decided they needed to let American workers go to save money, and, in some cases, move operations to another country."

 

"Save money" means make more money than they would have, otherwise.    


Exactly which of your posts has that phrase in it. 

It is obvious you are either very naive, or have no clue how a business works.  A business does not decide to simply shut down domestics operations today and open up in a foreign country tomorrow.  There is a lead time involved.  If, as you say, they moved overseas to "save money", they would have moved or will move anyway regardless of who is President.  No profitable business is going to do what you said. 

You have to explain your " Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects" statement in relation to business decisions.  Business owners who practice this type of business usually have other adjectives in front of their total like "ex" or "bankrupt".

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
406
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
407
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

407 Views
Message 25 of 73

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

No, it doesn't assume white employment will decline "lock-step."  It assumes everybody gets what they deserve instead of what they want.  Historical occasions where this has happened 0, especially under Democrats.  Ha, ha. 

 


 Given this very faulty, simplistic and error riddled logic:

 

 People who aren’t hired because of their color deserve it 

 

 People who lose their jobs due to company shut downs deserve it 

 

 People who could never afford to go to college and have had to take minimum-wage jobs in order to support themselves and their families deserve it 

 

people who are murdered deserve it,

 

people who are raped deserve it

 

people who get cancer deserve it

 

People who die horrible pain reading deaths deserve it

 

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!


"People" is an ambiguous bare plural.  The usage of many bare plurals is a rhetorical device used by most people incapable of clear thought. The fact that you have used eight bare plurals shows that you have very faulty, simplistic and error riddled logic.  As proof, I defy you to paraphrase all of your above statements without using any bare plurals.  See http://www.glottopedia.org/index.php/Bare_plural .


Going by the basis of your accusation (not by the actual definition), isn't "everyone gets what they deserve" a "bare plural" ?????  Ha ha


No, "everyone" = "all people" and "all" is a quantifier.  Besides, I never implied that I never use any bare plurals, but, instead, suggested that I can always paraphrase myself without using any bare plurals. The only legitimate usage of a bare plural is brevity of speech, but, not at the cost of clarity.  


You used the word "everybody", no different than "people", either can be taken as meaning "all". So in using that logic either you both used "bare plurals' or you both didn't. Take your pick, you just can't have it both ways.


Yes, either can be inferred to mean all.  The difference is "everybody" implies all and "people" does not imply all.  It takes intelligence to understand the difference between "infer" and "imply."     


I takes intelligence to understand how you screwed up accusing someone of using a bare plural and then using one yourself without even realizing it. Yes, "people" does imply all in the circumstance it was used in. Trying to act all intellectual isn't workin' to well for ya'.


Then, is the following how you would paraphrase phyllisc6781 without using any bare plurals?:

 

"Given this very faulty, simplistic and error riddled logic:

 

 Everyone who isn’t hired because of their color deserves it 

 

 Everyone who loses their job due to a company shut down deserves it 

 

 Everyone who could never afford to go to college and have had to take a minimum-wage job in order to support themselves and their familiy deserves it 

 

everyone who is murdered deserves it,

 

everyone who is raped deserves it

 

everyone who is cancer deserves it

 

everyone who dies a horrible pain reading death deserves it"

 

Is that how you (ChasKy53) would parpahrase phyllisc6781's quote without using any bare plurals?

And, if "yes," does everyone else who reads this agree with ChasKy53?

 

 

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
407
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
423
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

423 Views
Message 26 of 73

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:




 

But, I submit that Obama is partially responsible for his initial increase in unemployment.  Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects, especially when the psychological cause is anticipation.  I believe that corporate leaders found Obama's socialist behaviour so repugnant that it caused a nearly instantaneous increase in unemployment.  Similarly, corporate leaders found Trump's pro-capitalism behaviour so agreeable, that unemployment declined nearly instantaneously.

 

 


So, you are actually stating that owners of profitable businesses who were making money immediately decided they needed to let workers go and make less money?


No. You immorally edited out the part of my quote that addressed that:

 

"The logic is that owners of profitable businesses, who were making money, immediately decided they needed to let American workers go to save money, and, in some cases, move operations to another country."

 

"Save money" means make more money than they would have, otherwise.    

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
423
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
432
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

432 Views
Message 27 of 73

@aruzinsky wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

No, it doesn't assume white employment will decline "lock-step."  It assumes everybody gets what they deserve instead of what they want.  Historical occasions where this has happened 0, especially under Democrats.  Ha, ha. 

 


 Given this very faulty, simplistic and error riddled logic:

 

 People who aren’t hired because of their color deserve it 

 

 People who lose their jobs due to company shut downs deserve it 

 

 People who could never afford to go to college and have had to take minimum-wage jobs in order to support themselves and their families deserve it 

 

people who are murdered deserve it,

 

people who are raped deserve it

 

people who get cancer deserve it

 

People who die horrible pain reading deaths deserve it

 

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!


"People" is an ambiguous bare plural.  The usage of many bare plurals is a rhetorical device used by most people incapable of clear thought. The fact that you have used eight bare plurals shows that you have very faulty, simplistic and error riddled logic.  As proof, I defy you to paraphrase all of your above statements without using any bare plurals.  See http://www.glottopedia.org/index.php/Bare_plural .


Going by the basis of your accusation (not by the actual definition), isn't "everyone gets what they deserve" a "bare plural" ?????  Ha ha


No, "everyone" = "all people" and "all" is a quantifier.  Besides, I never implied that I never use any bare plurals, but, instead, suggested that I can always paraphrase myself without using any bare plurals. The only legitimate usage of a bare plural is brevity of speech, but, not at the cost of clarity.  


You used the word "everybody", no different than "people", either can be taken as meaning "all". So in using that logic either you both used "bare plurals' or you both didn't. Take your pick, you just can't have it both ways.


Yes, either can be inferred to mean all.  The difference is "everybody" implies all and "people" does not imply all.  It takes intelligence to understand the difference between "infer" and "imply."     


I takes intelligence to understand how you screwed up accusing someone of using a bare plural and then using one yourself without even realizing it. Yes, "people" does imply all in the circumstance it was used in. Trying to act all intellectual isn't workin' to well for ya'.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
432
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
431
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

431 Views
Message 28 of 73

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

 


Chas—“Bare plurals’ a ridiculous senseless  diversionary attempt—totally irrelevant—don’t get sucked into the ridiculousness of this “shiny” deflection! 


It isn't even "shiny", it's dull and incorrect. That poster tries to act intellectual and trips over himself.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
431
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
427
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

427 Views
Message 29 of 73

   BLS Janualry data:   Unemployment rate for Black Americans....7.7%, an increase of 0.9%.    

 

   "Clean Coal" employment rate continues to sink - regarding Perry and Donald: There was a modest rise in coal mining employment starting in autumn 2016 -- the product mainly of strong global demand for the hot-burning metallurgical coal used in steel manufacturing, which accounts for less than 10 percent of U.S. coal production -- but it seems to have petered out.   But those who fail to read will never know - which is just how they like it - STUPID    .https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-02-02/the-great-coal-mining-jobs-boom-has-been-postpone...   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
1
Kudos
427
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
426
Views

Re: Fact Checking Trump's State Of The Union Address

426 Views
Message 30 of 73

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:




 

But, I submit that Obama is partially responsible for his initial increase in unemployment.  Psychological causes have nearly instantaneous effects, especially when the psychological cause is anticipation.  I believe that corporate leaders found Obama's socialist behaviour so repugnant that it caused a nearly instantaneous increase in unemployment.  Similarly, corporate leaders found Trump's pro-capitalism behaviour so agreeable, that unemployment declined nearly instantaneously.

 

 


So, you are actually stating that owners of profitable businesses who were making money immediately decided they needed to let workers go and make less money?


No.


So what logic are using when you say "I believe that corporate leaders found Obama's socialist behaviour so repugnant that it caused a nearly instantaneous increase in unemployment."?

 

I don't care what "logic" you use, it makes no sense.  If a business owner is making money, they are not going to reduce their business.


The logic is that owners of profitable businesses, who were making money, immediately decided they needed to let American workers go to save money, and, in some cases, move operations to another country.  I thought the Labor Union faction of Democrats agreed with me.  Meanwhile, some liberal approves of American washing machines being made in foriegn countries here, http://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/Just-plain-STUPID/m-p/1960228/highlight/false#M... .  

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
426
Views