Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

Message 31 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

NH said, "You are wrong.  Being part of the Paris Accord makes you pay carbon taxes based upon the amount of CO2 generated in the production of that product."

OK, if that's such a bad idea for a country, why has virtually every country on the planet signed the agreement except for the U.S. Syria, and Venezuela?

• Trump said the U.S. would be exposed to “massive legal liability if we stay in” the Paris Agreement. But there is no liability mechanism in the Paris Agreement. International environmental law experts tell us that pulling out of the agreement won’t reduce U.S. exposure to liability claims and, in fact, may increase it.
  • Michael Burger, executive director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia University, told us Trump is wrong. He said the U.S. actually may be more exposed to lawsuits if it withdraws from the agreement.

“Withdrawal may actually create a greater likelihood of success in lawsuits challenging government inaction,” Burger told us. “So not only is he wrong, he actually has it backwards.”

We also asked James Salzman, a professor of environmental law at the UCLA School of Law and at UC Santa Barbara, if it is true that the U.S. would be exposed to “massive legal liability” if it remained in the Paris Agreement.

"Every Country" does not have immediate compliance or even hard quotas!  In my opinion, Trump made the right call (for me).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

Message 32 of 93

NH said, "You are wrong.  Being part of the Paris Accord makes you pay carbon taxes based upon the amount of CO2 generated in the production of that product."

OK, if that's such a bad idea for a country, why has virtually every country on the planet signed the agreement except for the U.S. Syria, and Venezuela?

• Trump said the U.S. would be exposed to “massive legal liability if we stay in” the Paris Agreement. But there is no liability mechanism in the Paris Agreement. International environmental law experts tell us that pulling out of the agreement won’t reduce U.S. exposure to liability claims and, in fact, may increase it.
  • Michael Burger, executive director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia University, told us Trump is wrong. He said the U.S. actually may be more exposed to lawsuits if it withdraws from the agreement.

“Withdrawal may actually create a greater likelihood of success in lawsuits challenging government inaction,” Burger told us. “So not only is he wrong, he actually has it backwards.”

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

NH said, "It will also be bad for you and I and my neighbors.   They don't want to be saddled with more taxes."

NH has it backwards. Being part of the Paris Accord shields us from those dreaded taxes. If we are not members, Paris Accord signatories could impose a tax on American products with significant carbon footprints. Such a consequence, he said, “would be shameful.”

You are wrong.  Being part of the Paris Accord makes you pay carbon taxes based upon the amount of CO2 generated in the production of that product.  The incentive is to have no CO2 which at the present time is impossible.  We as consumers will pay that tax each time we buy a product.

No Paris Accord, NO CARBON TAX!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 93

NH said, "It will also be bad for you and I and my neighbors.   They don't want to be saddled with more taxes."

NH has it backwards. Being part of the Paris Accord shields us from those dreaded taxes. If we are not members, Paris Accord signatories could impose a tax on American products with significant carbon footprints. Such a consequence, he said, “would be shameful.”

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 93

@pc6063 wrote:

CRIT--You are absolutely right that this ridiculous decision will impact international trade.  For one thing, these coumtries have goals with regard to pollution standards, and they are not going to purchase goods from a country that is not in keeping with these standards.  trump's decision was shortsighted and based on misinformation and lies.  He's unfit to be in the WH and proves it everyday.

They have poor standards for working conditions in many countries yet we buy clothes that are made in the most dire conditions.  Your argument does NOT hold water.  You will buy quality products regardless of where they are made and no matter who signed what agreement!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 93

CRIT--You are absolutely right that this ridiculous decision will impact international trade.  For one thing, these coumtries have goals with regard to pollution standards, and they are not going to purchase goods from a country that is not in keeping with these standards.  trump's decision was shortsighted and based on misinformation and lies.  He's unfit to be in the WH and proves it everyday.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

NH, I think you're missing the point that the Paris Accord is good for business. When Trump says it's bad for business, he's lying (what else is new?) That's why among many others, the Paris Accord is supported by 

Exxon-Mobil

Concoco-Phillips

Shell Oil

Disney

Apple

Facebook

GE

Google

Here's one more example out of many:

Salesforce CEOMarc Benioff tweeted Wednesday an image of an earlier joint open letter from over 20 top companies based in the U.S. or having business stateside, in which they made a business case that the U.S. should remain a part of the accord.

If you read my prior post, you would see that I agree that it is good for those companies buying in.  I showed you why - greed.  They will make more money!!!!!!!!  It will be bad for other companies and that's why you don't have every company on your list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will also be bad for you and I and my neighbors.   They don't want to be saddled with more taxes.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 93

NH, I think you're missing the point that the Paris Accord is good for business. When Trump says it's bad for business, he's lying (what else is new?) That's why among many others, the Paris Accord is supported by 

Exxon-Mobil

Concoco-Phillips

Shell Oil

Disney

Goldman Sachs

Apple

Facebook

GE

Google

Here's one more example out of many:

Salesforce CEOMarc Benioff tweeted Wednesday an image of an earlier joint open letter from over 20 top companies based in the U.S. or having business stateside, in which they made a business case that the U.S. should remain a part of the accord.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Glad to hear that NH,

Trump's argument for leaving the Paris Accord is a bogus claim it's bad for business. Please explain why the overwhelming majority of American Companies, who are in business to make money, support the Paris Accord.

The support from businesses (for the most part) has to do with money.  I can't speak to every company, but here are some reasons: In Exxon-Mobils case, they are big natural gas sellers for commercial use (utilities) as well as home use.  With a huge carbon tax, it would encourage use of natural gas over coal or oil.  With Tesla (electric cars), they are producing batteries which have a carbon footprint of the amount of fossil fuel consumed to recharge them but certainly less than a gasoline engine.  They also receive government assistance via several methods.  Again, the carbon tax makes both Tesla cars and their batteries  more attractive.

So, what's bad?  The carbon tax that rewards certain companies comes out of our pockets and then is redistributed to poorer countries.  How high is this tax?  Will it stop growing?  The tax punishes Americans and rewards others.

American Corporation GREED is the best motivator to corporations to support or reject rules, treaties, laws.

Google any of the above to verify.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 93

Glad to hear that NH,

Trump's argument for leaving the Paris Accord is a bogus claim it's bad for business. Please explain why the overwhelming majority of American Companies, who are in business to make money, support the Paris Accord.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors