Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
384
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

384 Views
Message 21 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Final comment:

 

NH said, "We part ways on this one.  There is no carbon tax without the Paris Accord.  My vote is with Donald."

 

I am betting a large sum of money that eventually NH will regret that vote.


You will lose!

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
384
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
381
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

381 Views
Message 22 of 93

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Glad to hear that NH,

 

Trump's argument for leaving the Paris Accord is a bogus claim it's bad for business. Please explain why the overwhelming majority of American Companies, who are in business to make money, support the Paris Accord.


The support from businesses (for the most part) has to do with money.  I can't speak to every company, but here are some reasons: In Exxon-Mobils case, they are big natural gas sellers for commercial use (utilities) as well as home use.  With a huge carbon tax, it would encourage use of natural gas over coal or oil.  With Tesla (electric cars), they are producing batteries which have a carbon footprint of the amount of fossil fuel consumed to recharge them but certainly less than a gasoline engine.  They also receive government assistance via several methods.  Again, the carbon tax makes both Tesla cars and their batteries  more attractive.

 

So, what's bad?  The carbon tax that rewards certain companies comes out of our pockets and then is redistributed to poorer countries.  How high is this tax?  Will it stop growing?  The tax punishes Americans and rewards others.

 

American Corporation GREED is the best motivator to corporations to support or reject rules, treaties, laws.

 

Google any of the above to verify.


Not, you just proved trump was lying....AGAIN!!!  As you've illustrated, it's good for business.


It's good for SOME businesses and BAD for ALL consumers!

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
381
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
382
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

382 Views
Message 23 of 93

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 


The taxes are voluntary.....didn't you realize that?  and.....

Carbon taxes are NOT voluntary.  If your country collects them, it comes from YOU and ME!

 

The only thing that's voluntary is donations.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
382
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
380
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

380 Views
Message 24 of 93

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

NH said, "You are wrong.  Being part of the Paris Accord makes you pay carbon taxes based upon the amount of CO2 generated in the production of that product."

 

OK, if that's such a bad idea for a country, why has virtually every country on the planet signed the agreement except for the U.S. Syria, and Venezuela?

 

  • Trump said the U.S. would be exposed to “massive legal liability if we stay in” the Paris Agreement. But there is no liability mechanism in the Paris Agreement. International environmental law experts tell us that pulling out of the agreement won’t reduce U.S. exposure to liability claims and, in fact, may increase it.
  • Michael Burger, executive director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law at Columbia University, told us Trump is wrong. He said the U.S. actually may be more exposed to lawsuits if it withdraws from the agreement.

    “Withdrawal may actually create a greater likelihood of success in lawsuits challenging government inaction,” Burger told us. “So not only is he wrong, he actually has it backwards.”

    We also asked James Salzman, a professor of environmental law at the UCLA School of Law and at UC Santa Barbara, if it is true that the U.S. would be exposed to “massive legal liability” if it remained in the Paris Agreement.


"Every Country" does not have immediate compliance or even hard quotas!  In my opinion, Trump made the right call (for me).


The taxes are voluntary.....didn't you realize that?  and.....

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
380
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
381
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

381 Views
Message 25 of 93

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Glad to hear that NH,

 

Trump's argument for leaving the Paris Accord is a bogus claim it's bad for business. Please explain why the overwhelming majority of American Companies, who are in business to make money, support the Paris Accord.


The support from businesses (for the most part) has to do with money.  I can't speak to every company, but here are some reasons: In Exxon-Mobils case, they are big natural gas sellers for commercial use (utilities) as well as home use.  With a huge carbon tax, it would encourage use of natural gas over coal or oil.  With Tesla (electric cars), they are producing batteries which have a carbon footprint of the amount of fossil fuel consumed to recharge them but certainly less than a gasoline engine.  They also receive government assistance via several methods.  Again, the carbon tax makes both Tesla cars and their batteries  more attractive.

 

So, what's bad?  The carbon tax that rewards certain companies comes out of our pockets and then is redistributed to poorer countries.  How high is this tax?  Will it stop growing?  The tax punishes Americans and rewards others.

 

American Corporation GREED is the best motivator to corporations to support or reject rules, treaties, laws.

 

Google any of the above to verify.


Not, you just proved trump was lying....AGAIN!!!  As you've illustrated, it's good for business.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
381
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
374
Views

Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

374 Views
Message 26 of 93

Final comment:

 

NH said, "We part ways on this one.  There is no carbon tax without the Paris Accord.  My vote is with Donald."

 

I am betting a large sum of money that eventually NH will regret that vote.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
374
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
377
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

377 Views
Message 27 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

1. That proposed $4 Trillion carbon tax is NOT part of the Paris Accord

2. NH, you can put your faith in Eric Worrall (whoever he is) and Donald Trump, but when it comes to money and economics, I'm putting my trust in the CEOs of Goldman Sachs, GE, Exxon, Shell, Disney, etc.

 

We will have to agree to disagree. But I've learned that putting one's faith in a pathological liar like Donald Trump, who doesn't understand history, could be very costly for America.


We part ways on this one.  There is no carbon tax without the Paris Accord.  My vote is with Donald.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
377
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
373
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

373 Views
Message 28 of 93

1. That proposed $4 Trillion carbon tax is NOT part of the Paris Accord

2. NH, you can put your faith in Eric Worrall (whoever he is) and Donald Trump, but when it comes to money and economics, I'm putting my trust in the CEOs of Goldman Sachs, GE, Exxon, Shell, Disney, etc.

 

We will have to agree to disagree. But I've learned that putting one's faith in a pathological liar like Donald Trump, who doesn't understand history, could be very costly for America.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
373
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
377
Views

Re: Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

377 Views
Message 29 of 93

@CriticalThinking wrote:

NH, your argument fails the logic test. Major U.S. Corporations like Goldman Sachs, GE, Exxon, Shell, and Disney are not going to sign onto an international deal which costs them money. Those companies are arguing the following:

 

Being a Member of the Paris Accord is better for U. S. Businesses. NH, that means if we are not members of the Paris Accord, it will cost Americans companies more money in terms of taxes and lost revenue. Guess what that means for the American Consumer? That's right, HIGHER PRICES


You are wrong my friend.

 

And if you think that isn't true, just this month, a new report by 13 economists, all global warming true believers, called for a $4 trillion global carbon tax "to avoid dangerous climate change," as Britain's Independent reported.

Let's be clear: There is no evidence that a carbon tax of that magnitude will do anything other than crush the world economy, making billions of people poorer.

That's not all. At a global warming conference earlier in May in Bonn, Germany, conferees called for $400 billion to be handed over each year to poor countries to help them deal with the effects of warming. This has nothing to do with global warming science; it's a massive income-transfer scheme from rich nations to poor nations cooked up by socialist climate planners.

This is another reason why Donald Trump's election has been so fortunate; had all this taken place under President Hillary Clinton, the U.S. would today be saddled with economy-killing regulations that would have destroyed our prosperity and cost us hundreds of billions of dollars a year for nothing in return.

If the reports are true and Trump is indeed planning on leaving the Paris Agreement, we applaud him. He's keeping a promise, and doing the right thing, both economically and scientifically. Some day, people will understand the global warming "crisis" for what it is: One of the greatest political frauds ever perpetrated.

 

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/by-leaving-paris-climate-change-deal-trump-will-do-u-s-...

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
377
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
376
Views

Fact Check trump's Claims on Paris Accord

376 Views
Message 30 of 93

NH, your argument fails the logic test. Major U.S. Corporations like Goldman Sachs, GE, Exxon, Shell, and Disney are not going to sign onto an international deal which costs them money. Those companies are arguing the following:

 

Being a Member of the Paris Accord is better for U. S. Businesses. NH, that means if we are not members of the Paris Accord, it will cost Americans companies more money in terms of taxes and lost revenue. Guess what that means for the American Consumer? That's right, HIGHER PRICES

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
376
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report


city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors