Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

FREE SPEECH

free speech.jpg

 

0 Kudos
457 Views
94
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


Why don't you explain how some one could support Bernie and then vote for Trump, or Jill Stein. Bernie who wanted to help people, and Trump who wants to hurt and kill people, and Jill who sold out to Russia so Trump could be elected.


If I recall one has the right to support anyone they want, unlike those in countries where there is only one APPROVED candidate.  But I would like for you or anyone show me who I voted for in the 2016 general election.

 

None of you was at my desk when I marked my absentee ballot.  WHO DID ANY OF YOU VOTE FOR??  Also Texas had 13 write-in candidates listed on the ballot.

 

Besides who won the election...that is what matters.  Your candidate didn't and now she is going all over the world crying in her beer.  Hillary is exactly where she belongs...out of the government.

 


You were the one who told everyone in here what you did. Go read your posts of that time. Now when asked why you did what you told us you did you want to dodge, run, escape form answering the question. If you did what you say you did and think you were correct stand up for what you told us. If you now feel you made a mistake tell us that. All people make mistakes, but many people do not have the guts to say that. Just look at your leader Trump. He has told us if he is wrong about NK he will lie to us. That seems to be the far right enablers and leaders path which you seem  to say you are following. Thanks for telling me you are part of the far right.

Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


You were the one who told everyone in here what you did.


Quote where I posted who I voted for.  But the question is why should it concern you or anyone here? 

 

Posters here are worse than our nosy neighbor who sits at her dining room window watching our house all the time.  So much so that we finally had a wood fence installed to block her view.

0 Kudos
286 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


You were the one who told everyone in here what you did.


Quote where I posted who I voted for.  But the question is why should it concern you or anyone here? 

 

Posters here are worse than our nosy neighbor who sits at her dining room window watching our house all the time.  So much so that we finally had a wood fence installed to block her view.


Typical answer from the far right enablers. When caught try and deflect. No one in here would know anything about what you did unless you told told them so we night say there is nothing worse that a person who put out information and then when asked about is says they have a nosy neighbor. The fact is the poster is the problem not the neighbor.

Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:


Typical answer from the far right enablers. When caught try and deflect. No one in here would know anything about what you did unless you told told them so we night say there is nothing worse that a person who put out information and then when asked about is says they have a nosy neighbor. The fact is the poster is the problem not the neighbor.


Have a good day John.

0 Kudos
411 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

What we need to worry about is the loss of the most valuable form of speech and American has - the ability to VOTE. Red States are using their lies about vote fraud and the fascist 5 of SCOTUS to "purge" the voting rolls and doing everything possible to make it impossible for poor people to even register - putting the source for the absurd "State Photo ID" in locations open only during normal working hours, so the voter has to lose time/pay on the job and putting them off any public transportation routes so they can't get there without a car of someone to drive them.

 

Then those who can get the necessary papers to vote are being bombarded with the never ending lies from, FOX and the Russian developed PsyOps warfare spreading outrageous conspiracy theories believed by the loosly wraped in the lo rent district and the nincompoop in the White House.

 

Last chance America - VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN 2016, or forget about having a meaningful vote by 2020.

 

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly

‎06-12-2018 12:07 PM
Wonder if continuously posting animated graphics of Judge Judy is free speech? Or is it a form of spamming? @Tx...........I have found it mind boggling that AARP allows some of the stuff that happens here. I hate to see a new person come to the group with good intentions and then because the group only wants the LOL silly stuff with the pat on the back posted, they are cruel enough to run someone off. I would think that seniors would have a mutual respect for one another. One of my fears is that at some point in my life, I become so hardened, callous, and hate filled that I turn on my own group (meaning seniors.) There is so much good and worthwhile things that seniors could do. Such a waste of time and potential. The thing many can't seem to realize, is it is a personal problem, but one that could be changed. No one has to live with hatred eating them up. I have been on these sites for a lot of years. I have seen some erosion and it comes mostly from allowing one's mind to dwell in the hate zone. Can't accept one's own problem, so they throw darts at someone else. Guess it is the only way one knows to keep from dealing with a needed self fix.

0 Kudos
239 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Soosie wrote:

‎06-12-2018 12:07 PM
hate

hate 

hatred

hate zone


In such a short post, the same word or variation thereof appears so many times.

 

Please reference my post, TRUMP SUPPORTERS EXHIBIT MORE AND MORE CULT BEHAVIOR, posted yesterday, 6/11/18 at 8:31am to maybe understand why.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly


@Soosie wrote:

‎06-12-2018 12:07 PM
@Tx...........I have found it mind boggling that AARP allows some of the stuff that happens here. I hate to see a new person come to the group with good intentions and then because the group only wants the LOL silly stuff with the pat on the back posted, they are cruel enough to run someone off.


Yes there have been several new posters who come on board with decent posts are met by the several who welcomes them but then they disappear after being subject to the caustic sarcasm by the few.  If we didn't know better [ maybe we don't? ] we'd think we were invaded by a teenagers since they sound like something we'd hear on the street instead a group of seniors using LOL, etc, and off-topic animated cartoons and expressions by youngsters.

 

One friend I had 'met' here on a previous version of this forum said that he had been posting here since before 2000, and that back then it was a civil and friendly place to post.   But around 2001, it started to become caustic, pretty well like it is today.  After 2010, newer posters started to take over and made it like it is today. 

0 Kudos
242 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


I'm sorry you would rather read how some react to your rantings.....some just prefer an image; most understand what it's conveying.
It is interesting to note that you used to always criticize memes and cartoons....now they're your best friend.
Image result for hypocrisy

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
234 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


I'm sorry you would rather read how some react to your rantings.....some just prefer an image; most understand what it's conveying.
It is interesting to note that you used to always criticize memes and cartoons....now they're your best friend.

Deleted the nonsensical graphic.  And that some is apparently confined to several who can't stand free speech from others.  The hypocrisy is those who thinks the sun rises and sets on them and constantly goes after others.

 

Why don't you just have a nice evening?  Ok?

0 Kudos
227 Views
0
Report
Bronze Conversationalist


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Conservatives only support their kind of free speech; not anyone else's.  Free speech includes the national anthem.


No kidding?  The national anthem is free speech?  Wait a minute, I bet you're talking about kneeling during the national anthem.  That's free speech alright.  It's also just plain stupid unless you can define what you hope to accomplish by it.

Honored Social Butterfly


@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Conservatives only support their kind of free speech; not anyone else's.  Free speech includes the national anthem.


No kidding?  The national anthem is free speech?  Wait a minute, I bet you're talking about kneeling during the national anthem.  That's free speech alright.  It's also just plain stupid unless you can define what you hope to accomplish by it.


Employers have a right to define what is and what is not acceptable free speech/expression/action while you are working for them. Some require you to wear a uniform rather than your own street clothes. Some restrict the number of earrings or quantity of necklaces or visible piercings you can display while working. Some will not allow you to wear a beard; others will not allow you to wear neon-hued hair. And some require you to stand during the national anthem.

 

If you do not accept the work conditions, --and the incumbent limitations on your free speech-- find another job. 

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Conservatives only support their kind of free speech; not anyone else's.  Free speech includes the national anthem.


No kidding?  The national anthem is free speech?  Wait a minute, I bet you're talking about kneeling during the national anthem.  That's free speech alright.  It's also just plain stupid unless you can define what you hope to accomplish by it.


Employers have a right to define what is and what is not acceptable free speech/expression/action while you are working for them. Some require you to wear a uniform rather than your own street clothes. Some restrict the number of earrings or quantity of necklaces or visible piercings you can display while working. Some will not allow you to wear a beard; others will not allow you to wear neon-hued hair. And some require you to stand during the national anthem.

 

If you do not accept the work conditions, --and the incumbent limitations on your free speech-- find another job. 

 

I agree with you, Epster.  It appears several of your Conservatives do not.  Maybe that's where the Libertarian moves left of the Conservative.

 

 


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
307 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@CS402050 wrote:


I bet you're talking about kneeling during the national anthem.  That's free speech alright.  It's also just plain stupid unless you can define what you hope to accomplish by it.


@CS402050,

 

Is kneeling during the National Anthem to protest POLICE BRUTALITY and RACIAL INEQUALITY any different than say;

 

The 1964 school boycotts in CLEVELAND, OHIO to protest segregation? 

 

The 1914 march in CLEVELAND, OHIO for women's suffrage?

 

The April 15, 1967 mass demonstration, led by CLEVELAND resident Dr. Benjamin Spock, and held in CLEVELAND, OHIO to protest the Vietnam War?

 

Of course not!!!!

 

They are all peaceful protests conducted by those that have a strong conviction to be heard.

 

Calling these protests STUPID  indicates your RACIAL ANIMUS to these PARTICULAR protests because they are being conducted by BLACK ATHLETES.

 

But I guess directing your RACIAL ANIMUS toward BLACK ATHLETES is your right of free speech; so have at it!!!!!

 

 

 

 

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

so,  you believe in Free Speech?  good, in that case, you will have to allow me to tell you that you are constanttly posting silly posts. in this message board..




So wouldn't those posts be 'silly' only perhaps in the eye of the beholder?


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


So we should be afraid to express our opinions because there are some, especially here, are sure to attack.  Wouldn't you think that they attack primarily to shut down those they disagree with? 

 

If one doesn't speak up, then they have won.

Honored Social Butterfly

So the GOPer position is NFL employers can restrict free speech - no change there.

 

Very reminicent of the Jim Crow mindset that required blacks to keep their heads down and mouths shut if they wanted to keep their jobs.

 

Where is this all going -Will we become more United when everyone WORKS for an employer who shares their political views, or more divided?

Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

So the GOPer position is NFL employers can restrict free speech - no change there.

 

Very reminicent of the Jim Crow mindset that required blacks to keep their heads down and mouths shut if they wanted to keep their jobs.

 

 


Did the NFL owners hire (signup) the football players to display their political views at games or win football games for them?  Did the viewers buy tickets or watch on TV to see them show their political views or to be entertained by watching a football game?  What about a cashier in a business demontrating their political views rather that taking care of the customer's purchase?

 

What gives these players the right to do what they want on the playing field instead of giving the owner fair return for what he is paying them?  If you had a plumbing company would you want your employees to express their political views instead of repairing a customer's leaky faucet?

Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!


I agree as well and that includes how they wish to address the national anthem.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
307 Views
13
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!


I agree as well and that includes how they wish to address the national anthem.


Don't forget that they are employed by the team/NFL and THEY make the rules (not individual dissenters). As long as they are receiving a paycheck from the "employer", they MUST follow their rules! You can practice free speech ONLY on your own time.

0 Kudos
239 Views
12
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!


I agree as well and that includes how they wish to address the national anthem.


Don't forget that they are employed by the team/NFL and THEY make the rules (not individual dissenters). Of course they do; like most employers.  As long as they are receiving a paycheck from the "employer", they MUST follow their rules! Within the rules or latitude provided by the employer. You can practice free speech ONLY on your own time. WRONG!  Many employers allow their employees full free speech.  For example, the NFL allows employees to express their free speech in the locker room as it applies to kneeling during the national anthem.  Many editorials allow for free speech....even Fox can spew the vitriol if they like.


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!


I agree as well and that includes how they wish to address the national anthem.


Don't forget that they are employed by the team/NFL and THEY make the rules (not individual dissenters). Of course they do; like most employers.  As long as they are receiving a paycheck from the "employer", they MUST follow their rules! Within the rules or latitude provided by the employer. You can practice free speech ONLY on your own time. WRONG!  Many employers allow their employees full free speech. 

You are quite wrong again. Most employers (and ALL fortune 500 employers) have written directives what is appropriate speech at work and when representing work (even away from work). If you worked in a garage, maybe the circumstances were different.

For example, the NFL allows employees to express their free speech in the locker room as it applies to kneeling during the national anthem.  Many editorials allow for free speech....even Fox can spew the vitriol if they like.


 


 

0 Kudos
256 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!


I agree as well and that includes how they wish to address the national anthem.


Don't forget that they are employed by the team/NFL and THEY make the rules (not individual dissenters). Of course they do; like most employers.  As long as they are receiving a paycheck from the "employer", they MUST follow their rules! Within the rules or latitude provided by the employer. You can practice free speech ONLY on your own time. WRONG!  Many employers allow their employees full free speech. 

You are quite wrong again. Really? Can you prove it?  I doubt it.  Most employers (and ALL fortune 500 employers) have written directives what is appropriate speech at work and when representing work (even away from work). You are confusing "free speech" and being terminated for something inappropriate.  Employees are free to say want they want and employers are free to terminate employees if they so choose; again, you confuse the issue. 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
257 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:


Thank God for free speech - the ability to post silly things and not be reprimanded for it.


I agree with you Nothappening  but what worries me is the aftermath. of some of the free speech and the attacks that follow afterwards.


I agree with Epster's post regarding free speech. Your employer makes the rules when it is on his/her dime (speech, actions, dress, looks)!


I agree as well and that includes how they wish to address the national anthem.


Don't forget that they are employed by the team/NFL and THEY make the rules (not individual dissenters). Of course they do; like most employers.  As long as they are receiving a paycheck from the "employer", they MUST follow their rules! Within the rules or latitude provided by the employer. You can practice free speech ONLY on your own time. WRONG!  Many employers allow their employees full free speech. 

You are quite wrong again. Really? Can you prove it?  I doubt it.  Most employers (and ALL fortune 500 employers) have written directives what is appropriate speech at work and when representing work (even away from work). You are confusing "free speech" and being terminated for something inappropriate.  Employees are free to say want they want and employers are free to terminate employees if they so choose; again, you confuse the issue. 


I didn't confuse the issue, you did when you said employees have freedom of speech. Nice to see that you agree with me that if you want to exercise your freedom of speech at work, your employment will end! No freedom of speech while at work!

0 Kudos
254 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


I didn't confuse the issue, you did when you said employees have freedom of speech. They dmployed.....the Constitution isn't put on hold when you become employed.....again, you're confused.  Nice to see that you agree with me that if you want to exercise your freedom of speech at work, your employment will end! Wrong again......it could end if your employer decidese.  The person still has a right, and they have the right to get themselves fired.  The employer has rights as well; they aren't mutually exclusive.  No freedom of speech while at work!  Is that what you're advocating?

 

Over 70% of workers are unaware that the First Amendment doesn't protect them from getting fired ove...


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
258 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Over 70% of workers are unaware that the First Amendment doesn't protect them from getting fired ove...

 No freedom of speech while at work!  Is that what you're advocating?

It's not what I'm advocating but just the facts of life - take it or leave it!

0 Kudos
295 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Over 70% of workers are unaware that the First Amendment doesn't protect them from getting fired ove...

 No freedom of speech while at work!  Is that what you're advocating?

It's not what I'm advocating but just the facts of life - take it or leave it!


You're still mistaken....though I don't expect you to read the link to understand how or why you're wrong.  It's not what those who are obstinately devoted to their view or predjudices are interested in.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Over 70% of workers are unaware that the First Amendment doesn't protect them from getting fired ove...

 No freedom of speech while at work!  Is that what you're advocating?

It's not what I'm advocating but just the facts of life - take it or leave it!


You're still mistaken....though I don't expect you to read the link to understand how or why you're wrong.  It's not what those who are obstinately devoted to their view or predjudices are interested in.


You are always welcome to your biased opinion.

2
Kudos
181
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png