Honored Social Butterfly

FOLKS, AREN'T WE GETTING TIRED OF THE SAME OLD EXCUSE....

...................IT'S PART OF OUR HISTORY.

There is a groundswell from the right that the removal of monuments and statues that HONOR deeds such as the perpetuation of slavery, treason against the United States of America, and other unsavory behaviors is wrong because these monuments and statues depict part of our history. They say it is erasing history. It is not. These statues can be moved to a museum or other venue where they can be seen in the context of what they actually are.

The same excuse(ie. "it's part of our history") was used to:

(1) Deny women the right to vote

(2) Force Blacks to eat at separate facilities

(3) Force Blacks into separate schools

(4) Slavery

(5) Keep Jews from joining certain organizations

(6) Imprison Japanese American Citizens

(7) Keep Irish born immigrants from gainful employment

and so on and so forth.

Aren't you tired of people saying "IT'S PART OF OUR HISTORY".

I am.

For the most part 1-7 no longer exist except in museums and history books.

It is time for statues and monuments, HONORING the misdeeds of the confederacy, join 1-7 in museums and/or history books.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump will be another unfortunate "part of our history"!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This is a different slant on the subject. In 2015 my sister and I were back east when they stopped the making of the confederate flag.We were outraged that a part of our history was being put away as if it never happened. Being a westerner I have never felt a part of the north-south ideology . I am of the mind that we are who we are by the mistakes and the good that we have done together they hopefully make us stronger and better to move toward a future that holds all men and women the right to be human and to remember our history but to move forward to creat a better world
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

LynneS:  We were outraged that a part of our history was being put away as if it never happened. 

Our history isn't going anywhere, it's part of our past and is there for all to learn about and always will be. But perpetuating the ugly symbols of that past serves no useful purpose whatsoever. Germany teaches about the Hitler era, but they don't allow monuments to his hateful legacy.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum   Actually, what you are saying  makes a lot of sense, is not forgetting our past, that will alsways be part of the US hisotry, is the glorificaitgon of those individuals and their symbols that should not  exist. Germany    encountered the same problem and has been able to deal with it  in a better manner.

no name
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png