Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

FCC may halt U.S. operations of three state-controlled Chinese telecom firms

BY:  David Shepardson

 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Friday said it may shut down the U.S. operations of three state-controlled Chinese telecommunications companies, citing national security risks.

 

The FCC issued so-called show cause orders to China Telecom Americas, China Unicom Americas, Pacific Networks Corp and its wholly owned subsidiary ComNet (USA) LLC, directing them to explain why it should not start the process of revoking authorizations enabling their U.S. operations.

The FCC’s action represents the latest sign of President Donald Trump’s administration taking a hard line toward China.

 

“We simply cannot take a risk and hope for the best when it comes to the security of our networks,” FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement.

 

The FCC granted its approvals to the firms more than a decade ago. Since then, it said, “the national security and law enforcement risks linked to the Chinese government’s activities have grown significantly.”

 

The agency’s show cause orders referred to the “sophistication and resulting damage of the Chinese government’s involvement in computer intrusions and attacks against the United States,” but did not elaborate.

 

The U.S. Justice Department and other federal agencies this month called on the FCC to revoke China Telecom’s ability to operate in the United States.

 

In May 2019, the FCC voted unanimously to deny another state-owned Chinese telecommunications company, China Mobile Ltd, the right to provide services in the United States, citing risks that the Chinese government could use the approval to conduct espionage against the U.S. government.

China Telecom Americas is the U.S. subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned telecommunications company. A spokesman for China Telecom said on Friday the company “has been operating in good standing in the United States for nearly 20 years. We look forward, in the coming weeks, to sharing information with the FCC that speaks to our role as a responsible telecom company.”

 

The other companies named in the show cause orders did not respond to requests for comment.

Pacific Networks resells international voice and data to U.S. operators on a wholesale basis and ComNet provides international termination service, global SIM card service and international calling card service and interexchange service, the FCC said.

 

Senator Tom Cotton, a Republican and ally of Trump, praised the review and said the firms’ “operation in the United States will continue to pose a threat to our critical networks as long as it continues.”

 

China’s telecommunications networks and companies have come under heightened scrutiny by U.S. agencies. The FCC this month agreed to allow Alphabet Inc unit Google to use part of an U.S.-Asia undersea telecommunications cable but not a part that connected with Hong Kong.

Google agreed to operate only a portion of the 8,000-mile (12,875-km) Pacific Light Cable Network System between the United States and Taiwan. Google and Facebook Inc helped pay for construction of the now completed telecommunications link but U.S. regulators have blocked its use.

 

 

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

All this cheap talk about the Chinese.  I haven't heard one trump supporter, not even one, criticize tRump and/or his daughter Ivanka for having their products manufactured in China.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

All this cheap talk about the Chinese.  I haven't heard one trump supporter, not even one, criticize tRump and/or his daughter Ivanka for having their products manufactured in China.


I would like to see the Trump businesses that can switch to the good ole USA do so. To criticise would means to add virtually every aspect of business on the list. Criticism should be vented at a system that promotes over seas manufacturing over American manufacturing. 

 

If were gonna start picking on companies... we've lots to choose from, but to your point, if president Trump divested himself of everything china I'd be happy with that move... and encourage it. 

 

If china want to make clothing,souvenirs and trinkets... I'm OK with that. 

 

What does the Trump organization manufacturer in china besides textiles? 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
438 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Looks like Trump is getting his little you know what whipped by the Chinese. I thought he was going to negotiate such great deals.  If this is winning, I am REALLY tired of it. ITYS

Honored Social Butterfly

Ten years ago permission was granted....  Better late than never to make security adjustments for communication systems, deal with the science of it all.  China's presence/ownership in the US is yuge.  A further example of dt's "hard line with China", this is not.  He certainly does have China issues though.

 

Persons with intelligence far, far beyond don's reach are doing what they can.  It's just too bad they also have to spend the energy they do should dt happen to... change his mind...  make stuff up... exaggerate... argue... LIE.  Our high maintenance president's ride is almost over.  Left and Right we'll keep seeing leaders emerging.  From the ashes as it were.

Honored Social Butterfly

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly


@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

 

 


So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

 

 


So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Freedom of speech does not protect behavior that crosses the line into targeted harassment or threats .... as Fox has done with their commentators such as Tucker Carlson who openly advocated the killing of American Muslims.

 

The rabid hate mongers on Fox have actually commited hate crimes.

Per Wikipedia:

A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime) is a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of their membership (or perceived membership) of a certain social group or race.

Examples of such groups can include, and are almost exclusively limited to: sex, ethnicity, disability, language, nationality, physical appearance, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation

 

Any News Network that targets a religious group for execution should have their broadcasting license taken away and their commentators, who advocated murder of such religious groups, arrested for hate crimes!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly


@myexper wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

 

 


So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Freedom of speech does not protect behavior that crosses the line into targeted harassment or threats .... as Fox has done with their commentators such as Tucker Carlson who openly advocated the killing of American Muslims.

 

The rabid hate mongers on Fox have actually commited hate crimes.

Per Wikipedia:

A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime) is a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of their membership (or perceived membership) of a certain social group or race.

Examples of such groups can include, and are almost exclusively limited to: sex, ethnicity, disability, language, nationality, physical appearance, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation

 

Any News Network that targets a religious group for execution should have their broadcasting license taken away and their commentators, who advocated murder of such religious groups, arrested for hate crimes!

 

 


I've read those culled and fabricated excerpts pieced together from the Independent too.  Of course y'all believe it... after all it must be believed, has  to be believed,  since the cult behavior of orange man bad, is hate based. 

Multiple posters right HERE have stated the hate president Trump and wish him dead. 

 

I want murdering terrorists dead too... regardless of their ideology. 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

 

 


So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Freedom of speech does not protect behavior that crosses the line into targeted harassment or threats .... as Fox has done with their commentators such as Tucker Carlson who openly advocated the killing of American Muslims.

 

The rabid hate mongers on Fox have actually commited hate crimes.

Per Wikipedia:

A hate crime (also known as a bias-motivated crime or bias crime) is a prejudice-motivated crime which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of their membership (or perceived membership) of a certain social group or race.

Examples of such groups can include, and are almost exclusively limited to: sex, ethnicity, disability, language, nationality, physical appearance, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation

 

Any News Network that targets a religious group for execution should have their broadcasting license taken away and their commentators, who advocated murder of such religious groups, arrested for hate crimes!

 

 


I've read those culled and fabricated excerpts pieced together from the Independent too. 

They were FACTS from Wikipedia as I clearly referenced.

Please read posts before attempting to criticize them with false accusations!

 

 

Of course y'all believe it... after all it must be believed, has  to be believed, 

Yup .... that's what facts demand!

 

 

since the cult behavior of orange man bad, is hate based. 

The dislike of Trump is FACT based!

 

Multiple posters right HERE have stated the hate president Trump and wish him dead. 

Nothing to do with the topic nor my reply. But that evasion clearly indicates your inability to counter my reply with anything factual or meaningful!

 

I want murdering terrorists dead too... regardless of their ideology. 

What you conveniently fail to mention is that Fox News's Tucker Carlson wants ALL AMERICAN MUSLIMS DEAD. And when he states that on a News Network, he has committed a hate crime and that network should have its broadcasting license taken away for promoting hate crimes!!!


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
549 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

We don't shut down news outlets because WE don't like the news... you change the channel.

You made this about Fox news when I ask your position on free speech and you accuse me of diversion? that's ludicrous. That's bizarre

So your position on free speech is ... you decide what's OK or the constitution? or the FCC ? Stay on track with the OP.


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

We don't shut down news outlets because WE don't like the news... you change the channel.

You made this about Fox news when I ask your position on free speech and you accuse me of diversion? that's ludicrous. That's bizarre

So your position on free speech is ... you decide what's OK or the constitution? or the FCC ? Stay on track with the OP.


Don't you just love it when someone can't put down a complete thought in a paragraph or two in order to reply to your post?  

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly


@jimc91 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

We don't shut down news outlets because WE don't like the news... you change the channel.

You made this about Fox news when I ask your position on free speech and you accuse me of diversion? that's ludicrous. That's bizarre

So your position on free speech is ... you decide what's OK or the constitution? or the FCC ? Stay on track with the OP.


Don't you just love it when someone can't put down a complete thought in a paragraph or two in order to reply to your post?  

 

 

 


I love it. You were all for the first drug Trump was pushing but have yet to answer any questions by people to you on that. Will try. Are you still for that drug, and do you support Trump drinking cleaner for the virus?

Honored Social Butterfly

Lol... now we just found another rabbit hole. This is becoming bizarro world around here. Incredible. Some are just better at it than others.


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
519 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Lol... now we just found another rabbit hole. This is becoming bizarro world around here. Incredible. Some are just better at it than others.


Not true. Trump is the cause of all of these problems. To end the problems you have to end Trump.

0 Kudos
489 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

We don't shut down news outlets because WE don't like the news... you change the channel.

We should shut down news outlets when they promote the killing of all American Muslims.

A deranged Trump supporter could have seen that promotion and take it upon themselves to exercise it ..... rendering simply "changing the channel" useless!

You made this about Fox news when I ask your position on free speech and you accuse me of diversion?

Wrong ..... I introduced Fox News in my very first post ....BEFORE you asked my position.

So once again, please read posts before making accusations!

 

that's ludicrous. That's bizarre

All false accusations as thoroughly debunked above!

So your position on free speech is ... you decide what's OK or the constitution? or the FCC ?

Nope .... those are ALL more false accusations in ludicrous accusatory questions.

Again, read posts before attempting to criticize them.  I clearly stated "Freedom of speech does not protect behavior that crosses the line into targeted harassment or threats".

 

 

Stay on track with the OP.

Please recall that YOU evaded the topic when you introduced the usual Trump supporter "go to" ....... the irrelevant "hatred for Trump"!


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
544 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

 

 


So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Now that's a great question...

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
504 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@jimc91 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Now that's a great question...  Here's the great answer:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

 


Honored Social Butterfly


@oceanedge2 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

I'd rather see the FCC close down Fox News ..... a greater security risk to America with all their lying bull manure and brainwashing of the gullible!

So what's your position on free speech and freedom of the press? or is that something you see as 'flexible'? What criteria would you use and would there be equal application? 


Now that's a great question...  Here's the great answer:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

 



Yes !  That indeed is a "great answer" !!!!


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
508 Views
0
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png