Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: FAR RIGHT OR LIBERAL - NO MIDDLE GROUND

Message 131 of 153

@Richva wrote:
  • I want a balanced budget but I feel everyone should pay their fair share of taxes to do this. If you have 80% of the wealth, you should pay 80% of the taxes.

Wealth is not currently taxed but income IS.  If wealth WAS taxed, would you put such a punitive tax on a working farm that is in the Northeast with a property value of $100 million dollars?  If you did, they would be forced to sell the farm and much of our meat, vegetables, and dairy come from such farms.  If you gave a pass to those farms, you would supply an incentive to become a gentlemen farmer to escape those punitive taxes.

Talk about hidden money here and overseas - this plan would certainly make most of the wealth DISAPPEAR.

That is some (not all) the reasons why we don't and probably never will have a wealth tax.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 153

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I suppose it depends on where you are standing. I consider my positions to be very middle of the road.

• I want everyone eligible to be able to vote.
  • I want affordable healthcare for every citizen and legal resident. I don't care how that is provided but I want it to be cost and outcome effective.  
  • I want a balanced budget but I feel everyone should pay their fair share of taxes to do this. If you have 80% of the wealth, you should pay 80% of the taxes.
  • I was a strong military but only to project our diplomacy and not to make points.
  • I want to see our infrastructure systems, education systems, and research systems to be the best in the world and I am willing to pay my share.
  • I want every citizen to be able to have the same opportunities regardless of race, creed, gender, or income level.
  • I want competent leadership regardless of which party.

Seems logical to me but some would say I am a liberal  

I agree with all that you have listed and don't consider it to be "liberal". I have to wonder if the extreme right considers the Welfare Clause in the Constitution to be liberal.

Won't be surprised to hear that a whackadoodle RWNJ  or one of Dolt45's doltettes starts to falsely claim that the Welfare Clause was not part of the intent of the Founding Fathers...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 153

@Richva wrote:

I suppose it depends on where you are standing. I consider my positions to be very middle of the road.

• I want affordable healthcare for every citizen and legal resident. I don't care how that is provided but I want it to be cost and outcome effective.  
  • I was a strong military but only to project our diplomacy and not to make points.
  • I want to see our infrastructure systems, education systems, and research systems to be the best in the world and I am willing to pay my share.
  • I want every citizen to be able to have the same opportunities regardless of race, creed, gender, or income level.

I wholly agree with every aspect and implication of everything you've posted there.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 153

@GailL1 wrote:

It is not the goals but the getting there that needs a middle ground

One extreme looks to the individual to the leg work - to follow the path that has been provided.

The other extreme wants to pick them up and carry them because Inassume they think the path is to hard to travel

What is an "Inassume"? Please explain.

And there is nothing extreme about the list that was posted nor my agreeing with it.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 153

It is not the goals but the getting there that needs a middle ground

One extreme looks to the individual to the leg work - to follow the path that has been provided.

The other extreme wants to pick them up and carry them because, I assume, they think the path is too hard to travel

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 153

@Richva wrote:

I agree with all that you have listed and don't consider it to be "liberal". I have to wonder if the extreme right considers the Welfare Clause in the Constitution to be liberal.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 153

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 153

@rk9152 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

IMHO " Citizen's United " has Corrupted OUR Democracy. This shift away from a Compromising Congress happened under the Citizen's United  Push , which was endorsed by 5 Far Right Supreme Court Justices !!! The other 4 Justices saw more $$$ in politics as a corrupting influence and voted against the decision.  I'm sure I'm gonna hear from our far right posters , but facts are facts !!!

Remember, Citizens United is a direct result of McCain-Feingold which was going to take the money out of politics. So, if you want to attribute it to the "FAR RIGHT" don't forget to include the originators.

You are right - facts ARE facts.

Now the extreme Right is claiming a bi-partisan agreement to STOP the growing influence of money in politics somehow CAUSED the fascist five to remove all restrictions on money influencing politics?

Facts ARE Facts, but THAT bit of RW logic has no relation to any "fact", and lunacy is still lunacy. Or should we just understand that any attempt to restrict the Republicans favorite weapon - money - will result in the end of ALL restrictions? That seems likely - its the GOPer approach to birth control AND gun control, why not bribe control?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 153

In politics, it has ALWAYS been the teabaggers of the far right who will never compromise. Progressives compromised to get PPACA, hoping the problems caused by the teabaggers like allowing all those healthy young freeloaders the baggers hoped would kill the entire program. But baggers never give in, so all we got for 7 years was repeal Obamacare, and now when those baggers are in charge, suddenly they discover depriving 34 Million Americans of their health insurance may not be as popular a stance as it was when they couldn't actually do it and everybody knew they couldn't.

The same with the anti-women Republicans - they are slowly making sure we go back to pre-Roe v Wade and make sure no poor women can get an abortion OR effective birthcontrol (except for the Republican method - never have sex with your spouse or significant other which only works if you have enough money to always have something ELSE interesting and fun to do)

Why exactly would anyone who is NOT an anti-women, anti-poor, homophobic xenophobe want to accept the terms acceptable to the teabaggers running the GOP?

Seems the Fundie neocons got what they wanted, and Kentucky is still losing coal jobs while their ninny in the Whitehouse is making sure there's no green jobs to replace work in the mines. Yeah, President Obama's policies are still moving us out of the jrbush Depression, but those new jobs pay less then the old ones Republicans sent to Commie slaves, and elected GOPers are dedicated to keeping it that way.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 153

@mandm84 wrote:

IMHO " Citizen's United " has Corrupted OUR Democracy. This shift away from a Compromising Congress happened under the Citizen's United  Push , which was endorsed by 5 Far Right Supreme Court Justices !!! The other 4 Justices saw more $$$ in politics as a corrupting influence and voted against the decision.  I'm sure I'm gonna hear from our far right posters , but facts are facts !!!

Remember, Citizens United is a direct result of McCain-Feingold which was going to take the money out of politics. So, if you want to attribute it to the "FAR RIGHT" don't forget to include the originators.

You are right - facts ARE facts.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors