From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: FAR RIGHT OR LIBERAL - NO MIDDLE GROUND

Message 141 of 153

@afisher wrote:

Weirdly, because no one has bothered to define any of the positions, then they actually appear to want to continue with the divide or increase it.    Are those people WASP - are they pushing for excluive) White Nationalism?    Do they agree that anyone who is considered low income unworthy individuals and that helping them or any member of their family to succeed should not happen?

And part of the divide is people thinking the above about others.

As the number of individuals who are dying as a result of mine accidents this year something that should be a concern, or is this good news as it makes room for other people to obtain a job?

More harsh thinking about other people.

Sometimes people need ot reflect on what a reporter / commentator is doing and ask:  is that valuable information or is it misleading.    

Some of Todd's statements are purposedly provocative:    I recently saw him talk to a "panel" that were discussing the approach of current Admin.    A person on the panel presented a POV to which Todd  intervened to say something to the effect:   But that also happened under a Dem Admin....not that I am comparing the action between that and current Admin - which is exactly what he just did.    And then went to an ad - so there was not follow-up.  

When people talk without any definition - we should all be smart enough to know you are being played.   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 142 of 153

@mandm84 wrote:

I was watching Meet The Press today where brilliant host Chuck Todd pointed something out that struck a nerve . He showed a graph regarding the House of Representatives . In 2002 there were 137 members with ideological overlap ( moderates ) but by 2013 , there were only 4 members who compromised and voted towards the middle !

Just like discussing issues on this AARP site , If you're not Far Right , than you're automatically called a liberal , no room for middle ground !!!

Not exactly. If one side is "far right" logic would indicate that the antithesis is "far left". Or, if you prefer, "Conservative" and "Progressive".

And it is true, our politics has evolved to where there is little middle ground. That is laid at the feet of both sides of the ideological divide (to fair minded individuals).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 143 of 153

@afisher wrote:

Weirdly, because no one has bothered to define any of the positions, then they actually appear to want to continue with the divide or increase it.    Are those people WASP - are they pushing for excluive) White Nationalism?    Do they agree that anyone who is considered low income unworthy individuals and that helping them or any member of their family to succeed should not happen?

As the number of individuals who are dying as a result of mine accidents this year something that should be a concern, or is this good news as it makes room for other people to obtain a job?

Sometimes people need ot reflect on what a reporter / commentator is doing and ask:  is that valuable information or is it misleading.    

Some of Todd's statements are purposedly provocative:    I recently saw him talk to a "panel" that were discussing the approach of current Admin.    A person on the panel presented a POV to which Todd  intervened to say something to the effect:   But that also happened under a Dem Admin....not that I am comparing the action between that and current Admin - which is exactly what he just did.    And then went to an ad - so there was not follow-up.  

When people talk without any definition - we should all be smart enough to know you are being played.   

DARN, we almost had an example of people who appear to debate from both sides of the "political divide"   agreed on AFGAN...and then, possibly because there are no current new issues, that people reverted to sillyness...because they can.    sigh.     READ A BOOK!  :-)

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 144 of 153

IMHO " Citizen's United " has Corrupted OUR Democracy. This shift away from a Compromising Congress happened under the Citizen's United  Push , which was endorsed by 5 Far Right Supreme Court Justices !!! The other 4 Justices saw more $$$ in politics as a corrupting influence and voted against the decision.  I'm sure I'm gonna hear from our far right posters , but facts are facts !!!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 145 of 153

@mandm84 wrote:

Is the glass half full or empty Tex ?

Neither.  Just that some are independent and chose not to follow the crowd.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 146 of 153

@Fishslayer666 wrote:
@mandm84

Is it possible that the extremism of ideology started on the left? Was Clinton's impeachment in the 90's for his improprieties, the seed? If the "change" happened in 2002 was it Bush's fault? Were the lines drawn because of him ? or against him? Is this attitude of extremism more of a "vendetta" then political opposition? Was the presidential loss of Al Gore the loss that created the "great divide"? and did Obama reinforced that by telling republicans to get to the back of the bus? Was voting for Trump the "backlash" of middle America? and the middle class?

Throughout history conservatives of both parties have been the rock of our nation. Traditional Judeo/Christian values are the bedrock of this nation. The respect of life in the womb, the right to speak freely, bear arms, seeking opportunity where none existed, .... this is the strength of conservatism.

I am a registered democrat, but I vote independently, but I'm called a right wing nut job. This is how I'm referred to on AARP, or is it because I just happen to have my own thoughts? and I openly express them through the prism of Christianity? and my freedom of thought offends the liberals?

Consider that.

Well,  you are probably correct that many may call you a right wing nut job. and whether you are a Democrat, Republican or an Independent is really not the issue here.
I happen to be a Republican and I happen to be pro choice. and I also vote with my brains instead of my party.
We both have a very different view in how a country should be governed You are naming the Judeo Christian values, and I believe that Religion should be left at church on Sundays or Fridays. whichever you prefer.
I don't approve of any religion interfering with government, and I consider religion and government extremely bad bedfellows.
I am also a Catholic. but I don't bring my religious views into governement. and will not accept the interference of any religion in governement.
So as you can see, there are Liberals and Conservatives and then there are Liberals and Conservatives. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 147 of 153

Is the glass half full or empty Tex ?

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 148 of 153
@mandm84

Is it possible that the extremism of ideology started on the left? Was Clinton's impeachment in the 90's for his improprieties, the seed? If the "change" happened in 2002 was it Bush's fault? Were the lines drawn because of him ? or against him? Is this attitude of extremism more of a "vendetta" then political opposition? Was the presidential loss of Al Gore the loss that created the "great divide"? and did Obama reinforced that by telling republicans to get to the back of the bus? Was voting for Trump the "backlash" of middle America? and the middle class?

Throughout history conservatives of both parties have been the rock of our nation. Traditional Judeo/Christian values are the bedrock of this nation. The respect of life in the womb, the right to speak freely, bear arms, seeking opportunity where none existed, .... this is the strength of conservatism.

I am a registered democrat, but I vote independently, but I'm called a right wing nut job. This is how I'm referred to on AARP, or is it because I just happen to have my own thoughts? and I openly express them through the prism of Christianity? and my freedom of thought offends the liberals?

Consider that.

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 149 of 153

Gerrymandering. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 150 of 153

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors