Honored Social Butterfly

FAR RIGHT OR LIBERAL - NO MIDDLE GROUND

I was watching Meet The Press today where brilliant host Chuck Todd pointed something out that struck a nerve . He showed a graph regarding the House of Representatives . In 2002 there were 137 members with ideological overlap ( moderates ) but by 2013 , there were only 4 members who compromised and voted towards the middle !

Just like discussing issues on this AARP site , If you're not Far Right , than you're automatically called a liberal , no room for middle ground !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Weirdly, because no one has bothered to define any of the positions, then they actually appear to want to continue with the divide or increase it.    Are those people WASP - are they pushing for excluive) White Nationalism?    Do they agree that anyone who is considered low income unworthy individuals and that helping them or any member of their family to succeed should not happen?

And part of the divide is people thinking the above about others.

As the number of individuals who are dying as a result of mine accidents this year something that should be a concern, or is this good news as it makes room for other people to obtain a job?

More harsh thinking about other people.

Sometimes people need ot reflect on what a reporter / commentator is doing and ask:  is that valuable information or is it misleading.    

Some of Todd's statements are purposedly provocative:    I recently saw him talk to a "panel" that were discussing the approach of current Admin.    A person on the panel presented a POV to which Todd  intervened to say something to the effect:   But that also happened under a Dem Admin....not that I am comparing the action between that and current Admin - which is exactly what he just did.    And then went to an ad - so there was not follow-up.  

When people talk without any definition - we should all be smart enough to know you are being played.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Weirdly, because no one has bothered to define any of the positions, then they actually appear to want to continue with the divide or increase it.    Are those people WASP - are they pushing for excluive) White Nationalism?    Do they agree that anyone who is considered low income unworthy individuals and that helping them or any member of their family to succeed should not happen?

As the number of individuals who are dying as a result of mine accidents this year something that should be a concern, or is this good news as it makes room for other people to obtain a job?

Sometimes people need ot reflect on what a reporter / commentator is doing and ask:  is that valuable information or is it misleading.    

Some of Todd's statements are purposedly provocative:    I recently saw him talk to a "panel" that were discussing the approach of current Admin.    A person on the panel presented a POV to which Todd  intervened to say something to the effect:   But that also happened under a Dem Admin....not that I am comparing the action between that and current Admin - which is exactly what he just did.    And then went to an ad - so there was not follow-up.  

When people talk without any definition - we should all be smart enough to know you are being played.   

DARN, we almost had an example of people who appear to debate from both sides of the "political divide"   agreed on AFGAN...and then, possibly because there are no current new issues, that people reverted to sillyness...because they can.    sigh.     READ A BOOK!  🙂

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@mandm84 wrote:

Just like discussing issues on this AARP site , If you're not Far Right , than you're automatically called a liberal , no room for middle ground !!!

Actually overall it is the opposite.  Either one is a liberal, or they are conservative, no middle ground.  And liberalism runs extreme here.

Honored Social Butterfly

Is the glass half full or empty Tex ?

Honored Social Butterfly

@mandm84 wrote:

Is the glass half full or empty Tex ?

Neither.  Just that some are independent and chose not to follow the crowd.

Honored Social Butterfly

Extremists is what  exists today. whether you are a Republican, Democrat or even an Independent

Being in the center of any issue, is practically obsolete.

You can't talk to anyone here or anywhere that if you are not an extremist you simply don't fit.

Pity, because we won't be able to really run a country in this manner.

something has to give. hoping it does happen soon.

no name
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png