Kudos
Views

Re: FACULTY MAJORITY WANT TO RESCIND TRUMP HONORARY DEGREE

Message 1 of 20

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

I think that, if somebody does something stupid, the government should stop giving them gifts.  NSF funding is a gift, not a right.  Lehigh University is analogous to the tapeworm and NSF funding is analogous to the cookie in this joke:

http://crocjokes.com/dirtyjokes.php?ID=1139

So "does something stupid" by YOUR definition?  Or is saying something negative against a President enough to pull your funding?  That sounds like an Authoritarian form of Government to me.  You do realize that NSF funding is to fund pure research.  This is where all true innovations begin.

Untrue.  Most innovation comes from applied research.  That is why engineers are paid more than scientists.  Not to mention the development of new drugs that keep liberal ingrates alive.

Why do you think applied research is done?  It is because basic research has opened up an entirely new area of study.

I could not but notice you didn't bother to answer my question.  And of course, your last sentence has to be a derogatory comment about a group of people that does nothing to advance a conversation.

Your question, "Why do you think applied research is done?", is unintelligible.  Is that like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"?

In applied research, as in pure research, new things are often discovered by accident.  That alone is enough to sustain new areas of study.

In 1966, I received a $600 NSF stipend to work during the summer in a physics lab at IIT.  My boss had me spend weeks looking through a huge inventory of old electronic tubes to find a certain $15 tube because it was cheaper for him to waste my NSF money than buy a new tube.  Incidentally, back then, you didn't have to pay federal income tax on pay for doing pure research. 

You are getting sleepy.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

@aruzinskywrote:

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

I think that, if somebody does something stupid, the government should stop giving them gifts.  NSF funding is a gift, not a right.  Lehigh University is analogous to the tapeworm and NSF funding is analogous to the cookie in this joke:

So "does something stupid" by YOUR definition?  Or is saying something negative against a President enough to pull your funding?  That sounds like an Authoritarian form of Government to me.  You do realize that NSF funding is to fund pure research.  This is where all true innovations begin.

Untrue.  Most innovation comes from applied research.  That is why engineers are paid more than scientists.  Not to mention the development of new drugs that keep liberal ingrates alive.

Why do you think applied research is done?  It is because basic research has opened up an entirely new area of study.

I could not but notice you didn't bother to answer my question.  And of course, your last sentence has to be a derogatory comment about a group of people that does nothing to advance a conversation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

How does that work?  Is there a microchip embedded in the paper that receives a radio signal from the university that causes the degree to burst into flame?  Otherwise, it's just going to remain framed on his wall, as usual.  If I was Trump, I would withdraw NSF funding from Lehigh University.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So you believe that if somebody does something legal that the Government doesn't like they should be punished?  That doesn't sound very American to me.

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

@aruzinskywrote:

Just to cheer you up.

In 2009, Arizona State University refused to give President Barack Obama an honorary degree, citing a lack of experience and absence of a qualifying body of work.

Double their NSF funding.

So it is the fact that they had the nerve to say they didn't believe in what Trump is doing that incites your wrath?  I am glad to see how much you believe in Democracy and the First Amendment.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

@aruzinskywrote:

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

How does that work?  Is there a microchip embedded in the paper that receives a radio signal from the university that causes the degree to burst into flame?  Otherwise, it's just going to remain framed on his wall, as usual.  If I was Trump, I would withdraw NSF funding from Lehigh University.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So you believe that if somebody does something legal that the Government doesn't like they should be punished?  That doesn't sound very American to me.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Just to cheer you up.

In 2009, Arizona State University refused to give President Barack Obama an honorary degree, citing a lack of experience and absence of a qualifying body of work.

Double their NSF funding.

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

You are getting sleepy.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

@john258wrote:

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

You do realize it looks like we have some new far right commenting on a subject. The question one has to ask when that happens are they BOTS

Some may well be - there are some who are simplistically repeating whatever their Russian Bot with a pseudonym says...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

@john258wrote:

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

You do realize it looks like we have some new far right commenting on a subject. The question one has to ask when that happens are they BOTS

I was wondering that too from some of his other posts, but he has been around a long time and appears to be real, unless somebody stole his identity.  He does seem to use very illogical logic to attempt to prove his points.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

@sp362wrote:

@aruzinskywrote:

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.

Top Authors