Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: FACTS VS OPINIONS

Message 21 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

But regardless of what the statement is, you can tell by its construction whether it's a fact or an opinion statement.  

And that's the whole point.  Many Democrats CAN'T tell the difference when they think the statement was made by Fox.  Sadly, they are so brainwashed that they automatically argue against a FACT if it comes from Fox.

That's not what the study showed.  It said that attributing statements to specific news sources had "limited" impact on both Democrats and Republicans.  But when it came to Fox News, "Republicans (77%) were modestly more likely than Democrats (69%) to accurately classify the three factual statements in this second set when they were attributed to Fox News – and correspondingly, Democrats were modestly less likely than Republicans to do so."   The bias works both ways.  Republicans are more likely to trust Fox, and Democrats are more likely not to.   

http://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-ne...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 34

@ManicProgressive wrote:

But regardless of what the statement is, you can tell by its construction whether it's a fact or an opinion statement.  

And that's the whole point.  Many Democrats CAN'T tell the difference when they think the statement was made by Fox.  Sadly, they are so brainwashed that they automatically argue against a FACT if it comes from Fox.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 34

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I find it more interesting that there is an association between placing high level of trust in the news media and scoring correctly. 

Right you are, TemperMental!  Just because a sentence is a factual statement, doesn't make it an accurate fact.  It's the norm from the newer poster who proves each day they are "obstinately devoted to their bias and prejudices" and wants to attack those who disagree.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 34

I find it more interesting that there is an association between placing high level of trust in the news media and scoring correctly. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I guess you already knew by prior responses....

Maybe you also knew I color outside the lines....as reflected above!!!

As I said this was for personal growth.  Since there is no way to verify the results (for example, what you posted could be from the tenth time you took it after writing down your errors nine times) I only expected people to post their results when they thought it would fool someone.

@CS402050's post touches upon a very interesting possibility - that it might take a trump supporter nine attempts to correctly distinguish the difference between fact and opinion in the PEW test...

Centristsin2010 successfully distinguished the differences between fact and opinion.

My results revealed that in each of the examples, I did successfuly distinguish the difference between fact and opinion.

That forever disqualifies me from being able to become a a good and faithful trump foolower and supporter, doesn't it? 

@CS402050hasn't truthfully posted what the results are of his first attempt to distinguish the difference between fact and opinion in the PEW test - which brings up the distinct possibility that trump supporters cannot be trusted to be any more truthful than trump...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 34

Per the liberal credo, first option when they have no facts is to call someone a name.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 34

Oh, but I do....like the fact a poster made a very bigoted claim that racism is caused by crime.

Enjoy....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 34

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

The JOKES on you, CS....as always.

Perhaps you should devote your time to finding and using some FACTS instead of all the meaningless nonsense.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 34

Not mine darling mine are as new as th first summer day.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 34

The JOKES on you, CS....as always.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors