From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: FACTS VS OPINIONS

Message 11 of 34

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

The JOKES on you, CS....as always.

Perhaps you should devote your time to finding and using some FACTS instead of all the meaningless nonsense.

Thank you for the advice "@CS402050".  Fact is......their are differences between facts and opinions, some "get it"!

I'm really curious, what in the world would motivate you to spend the time to look back thru threads for months until you found one by my brother and then go thru that thread until you found something you could take out of context and then post a response that makes little sense.  Let me take a guess.  The only reason I can think of why YOU would do that is because I posted that he stopped coming to this site due to the lack of intelligent discussion so you thought it would be safe to make a meaningless, off-topic, false comment without him correcting you.  Is that it?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Perhaps you should devote your time to finding and using some FACTS instead of all the meaningless nonsense.

Thank you for the advice "@CS402050".  Fact is......their are differences between facts and opinions, some "get it"!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

But regardless of what the statement is, you can tell by its construction whether it's a fact or an opinion statement.  

And that's the whole point.  Many Democrats CAN'T tell the difference when they think the statement was made by Fox.  Sadly, they are so brainwashed that they automatically argue against a FACT if it comes from Fox.

THIS.  I see this every day here. I've seen it already this morning and I've read about 10 posts.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

Per the liberal credo, first option when they have no facts is to call someone a name.

Per the far right conservative credo, the first option when they have no facts about others is to accuse them of not being able to score well on a test they present.

Ho Hum ...........

By the way, I missed one question, an opinion question.  How did you do?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

What would you like to discuss and I will help you find the facts. I find most Conservatives to be allergic to facts which is why they post opinions as facts. They itch less.  Your post is a good example.  You listed the overall totals for Americans but did not bother to mention the part about " Nearly nine-in-ten Democrats (89%) correctly identified it as a factual statement, compared with 63% of Republicans." It went on and was not a flattering comparison for Republicans. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 34

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

But regardless of what the statement is, you can tell by its construction whether it's a fact or an opinion statement.  

And that's the whole point.  Many Democrats CAN'T tell the difference when they think the statement was made by Fox.  Sadly, they are so brainwashed that they automatically argue against a FACT if it comes from Fox.

That's not what the study showed.  It said that attributing statements to specific news sources had "limited" impact on both Democrats and Republicans.  But when it came to Fox News, "Republicans (77%) were modestly more likely than Democrats (69%) to accurately classify the three factual statements in this second set when they were attributed to Fox News – and correspondingly, Democrats were modestly less likely than Republicans to do so."   The bias works both ways.  Republicans are more likely to trust Fox, and Democrats are more likely not to.   

http://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-ne...

Let me say this a different way and see if you can understand.  The study had nothing to do with trust.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nothing.  The study had nothing to do with bias.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nothing.  The study, as you quoted above, was to determine if a person could "accurately classify" a statement as factual.   That's it.  That's what the study determined.

The result of the study is that Democrats perform worse when they think a statement came from Fox.  Trust or not, an intelligent person determines the truth based on the statement not where it came from.  On the bright side, Republicans' scores went up when the question came from Fox.  If they blindly believed everything Fox said, their scores would have gone down because they would have been wrong on questions that were not factual.  Their scores going up, compared to their scores on questions from other media, means they were more careful in their evaluation of statements from Fox.  To me, that would indicate they have heard the false narrative about Fox and want to make sure they don't give credence to it.

You can't claim Democrats are "brainwashed" in one sentence and then argue that this study has nothing to do with bias.  

Fox News has an impact on both Democrats and Republicans.  There is correlation here, but there is no way to determine causation.   So any conjecture on their thought processes is just that -- conjecture. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 34

CS402050 posted..

I mentioned there was a new PEW study out that showed that only 26% of adults in this country can distinguish facts from opinions and that I would start a new thread on the subject.

===========================

I see that every time I read posts from left wing posters..
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 34

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

That's not what the study showed.  It said that attributing statements to specific news sources had "limited" impact on both Democrats and Republicans.  But when it came to Fox News, "Republicans (77%) were modestly more likely than Democrats (69%) to accurately classify the three factual statements in this second set when they were attributed to Fox News – and correspondingly, Democrats were modestly less likely than Republicans to do so."   The bias works both ways.  Republicans are more likely to trust Fox, and Democrats are more likely not to.   

http://www.journalism.org/2018/06/18/distinguishing-between-factual-and-opinion-statements-in-the-ne...

Let me say this a different way and see if you can understand.  The study had nothing to do with trust.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nothing.  The study had nothing to do with bias.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nothing.  The study, as you quoted above, was to determine if a person could "accurately classify" a statement as factual.   That's it.  That's what the study determined.

The result of the study is that Democrats perform worse when they think a statement came from Fox.  Trust or not, an intelligent person determines the truth based on the statement not where it came from.  On the bright side, Republicans' scores went up when the question came from Fox.  If they blindly believed everything Fox said, their scores would have gone down because they would have been wrong on questions that were not factual.  Their scores going up, compared to their scores on questions from other media, means they were more careful in their evaluation of statements from Fox.  To me, that would indicate they have heard the false narrative about Fox and want to make sure they don't give credence to it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 34

Alas, I keep forgetting that LBJ and Reagan added stuff to conceal the real deficits their dirty little war and filthy-rich taxscam were creating in "the budget". Somehow including programs that are "self-financing" (and currently running a surplus) seems a tad disingenuous - anyone else share that thought?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 34

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

LOL.....someone is having difficulty today (as most days) trying to trash others they disagree with...funny!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors