Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: FACT CHECK: ARE THERE MORE AMERICANS ON FOOD STAMPS THAN THERE ARE PEOPLE IN CANADA?

Message 61 of 67

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

http://checkyourfact.com/2018/12/09/fact-check-food-stamps-canada/

Oh my goodness.

Now we are purposely "hiding" the source of material.

It seems that the source noted above is really THE DAILY CALLER.

You know..... the media outlet operated by TUCKER CARLSON.

You know.....The media outlet funded by FOSTER FRIESS, the man that said that women should practice birth control by clamping an aspirin between their knees.

You know.....The media outlet that published a HOW-TO video of how to kill a liberal protester with your car..... of course, until it actually happened.

You know.....The media outlet that published article after article written by Jason Kessler, THE WHITE SUPREMACIST, who organized the deadly Charlottesville rally.

It is a shame that one now must cloak their REAL SOURCE in mystery.

What does that tell you about the content???????

Well stated, NC.  It is indeed, odd....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: FACT CHECK: ARE THERE MORE AMERICANS ON FOOD STAMPS THAN THERE ARE PEOPLE IN CANADA?

Message 62 of 67

Too funny.....

Two years of trump and 8 years of GOP control of the House and Senate and people STILL need food stamps to survive.  Way to go, Repubs!!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 67

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

Oh my goodness.

You know.....The media outlet funded by FOSTER FRIESS, the man that said that women should practice birth control by clamping an aspirin between their knees.

You know.....The media outlet that published a HOW-TO video of how to kill a liberal protester with your car..... of course, until it actually happened.

You know.....The media outlet that published article after article written by Jason Kessler, THE WHITE SUPREMACIST, who organized the deadly Charlottesville rally.

Why do you bother to come to this forum?  

Do you have any real thoughts on the topic?  If so please share them if, not spare me your childish rants...

Good Grief!

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 67

@jimc91 wrote:

Oh my goodness.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 67

"The House bill would have expanded the work requirements to include people up to age 59 and parents with children ages 6 and older,"

So we want parents to leave 6-year-olds home alone? I know I don't. Does that make me a person who believes in free handouts? That's certainly the lie about the lieft that I see here over and over, and which I suspect is the point of this post.

I have no problem with work requirements if there are jobs available. I do NOT support using food stamp recipients as slave labor for the state if there aren't.

For those who aren't qualified for available jobs, I also support job training. Of course, Ronnie R. killed a successful job training program back in the 1980s. Oh well, there go your partisan talking points.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 67
Food stamps become a way of life for many in the US and the way of life is passed to the next generation. I have seen this so many times. No incentive for some to ever move beyond this because it is made easy for them.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

FACT CHECK: ARE THERE MORE AMERICANS ON FOOD STAMPS THAN THERE ARE PEOPLE IN CANADA?

Message 67 of 67

Republican Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio claimed Thursday that there are more Americans on food stamps than there are people in Canada.

More Americans on Food Stamps than the entire population of Canada. Yet Democrats won’t support work requirements for able-bodied adults receiving your tax dollars.https://t.co/7CCMUOGhfR

— Rep. Jim Jordan (@Jim_Jordan) December 6, 2018

More Americans on Food Stamps than the entire population of Canada. Yet Democrats won’t support work requirements for able-bodied adults receiving your tax dollars,” he tweeted.

Verdict: True

Canada has an estimated total population of 37 million, while 40.3 million Americans used food stamps in fiscal year 2018.

Fact Check:

Jordan’s tweet linked to an article discussing the debate over the new farm bill, which includes funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps.

In FY 2018, 40.3 million people living in 20.1 million households participated in SNAP, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The average SNAP household received about $250 per month. The Census Bureau estimates there are currently 329 million people living in the U.S.

Canada had a population of 37.1 million as of July, according to Statistics Canada, an agency of the Canadian government.

The number of SNAP participants had been increasing steadily since the start of the 21st century, rising from an average of 17.2 million in FY 2000 to 28.2 million in FY 2008. It spiked to a high of 47.6 million in FY 2013 in the years following the Great Recession, followed by a decline as the economy continued to recover.

In its report for FY 2016, the USDA found that 82 percent of SNAP households live in or near large cities. Eighteen percent of households had gross incomes above the poverty line.

Jordan referenced a conflict over the new farm bill that centered around the House’s decision to craft legislation that would have intensified work requirements for SNAP recipients. Currently, non-disabled adults between the ages of 18 and 49 who do not have dependents are required to work in order to be eligible for SNAP for an extended period of time.

The House bill would have expanded the work requirements to include people up to age 59 and parents with children ages 6 and older, which House Democrats unanimously opposed. In a bipartisan vote, the Senate passed its own farm bill without major changes to work requirements. Lawmakers in both chambers reached a tentative deal in November that excluded the House provisions.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors