Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Equifax hacked

Message 21 of 32

@rker321 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...Boy, this is getting to be a real PIA...".

Worse than that, but I can't use the expletives on this site as to what I think about a credit company getting hacked. We have to monitor our cards constantly, which is a PIA, since we use them for everything. 

We have financial protections on credit cards which makes it somewhat better for the consumer in one regards - but on the other hand- crime makes cost go up for everybody. 

Have you frozen your credit so that no one can open an account without your knowledge - at least the ones where they do check your credit before issuing a credit card - store card may not check.

You mean for example Amex and Discover?  Gail I need to PM you with a question. let me know if it is ok

Not sure exactly what you are talking about with Amex and Discover - both of them require a credit check to open an account or even adding another one of their cards to the mix of which one may already have.  Freezing your credit prevents them or any other credit issuer which checks your credit report before issuing from access to your credit file unless it is "unthawed".

I do not use PM on this site - sorry.  I am sure you can post your concern on this site without any specific personal info and I or even somebody else can give feedback.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 32

Now for some humor:   I am SOOOOOOOO old that when I was in the military, we were given an ID number that was not one's social security number.

also:     I lost my SS card somewhere back in the 80's and never bothered to replace it, NO one ever asked me to prove it was accurate.    I did get a new card after I retired.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 32

"....Have you frozen your credit so that no one can open an account without your knowledge - at least the ones where they do check your credit before issuing a credit card - store card may not check....".

We're on it this morning. My understanding is that we must freeze our credit on all three sites to be covered.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 32

@GailL1 wrote:

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Worse than that, but I can't use the expletives on this site as to what I think about a credit company getting hacked. We have to monitor our cards constantly, which is a PIA, since we use them for everything. 

We have financial protections on credit cards which makes it somewhat better for the consumer in one regards - but on the other hand- crime makes cost go up for everybody. 

Have you frozen your credit so that no one can open an account without your knowledge - at least the ones where they do check your credit before issuing a credit card - store card may not check.

You mean for example Amex and Discover?  Gail I need to PM you with a question. let me know if it is ok

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 32

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 32

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Boy, this is getting to be a real PIA.  Maybe we should go back to using cash, then the merchants can give us the cash back right at time of purchase.

WE NEED TO STOP USING THE SS# AS AN IDENTIFIER - Are you listening in Washington.  Would be nice if AARP and other organizations would promote this.

The SS # is now being removed from Medicare cards - we should all get a new Medicare number next year.

It should not be used for credit reporting or anything other than reporting taxes and the actual benefit.

Actually, we should just stop pretending the SS number is confidential when we have to give it to everyone including our doctors. Assume it is public knowledge 

The only reason doctors or anybody else needs it is because we don't pay them at the time of service.  Doctors use it, just like other medical providers or anybody else, that is, extending you services without payment when the service is performed.

Once the Medicare numbers are changed and some other government provided healthcare, the only reason for medical providers to have a SS # is for possible collections.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 32

@retiredtraveler

I hear your suffering potty mouth with an AARP cuss filter.

worked for those DOD people and identity leaked/hacked. 

Just no joy in bugtussle.

Ex just told me she had been approved by her bank for a new $80k second in New York. Trouble being she hadn't applied and only the local bank, noticed the loan and listed address discrepancy.

And in lighter news if you've visited MX Mexico lately, your passport and Credit Card info seems to have been hacked as well, through a security oppose.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 32
Only the best for me..first my stuff was hacked from the federal govt, now this lol.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 32

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 32

@GailL1 wrote:

Boy, this is getting to be a real PIA.  Maybe we should go back to using cash, then the merchants can give us the cash back right at time of purchase.

WE NEED TO STOP USING THE SS# AS AN IDENTIFIER - Are you listening in Washington.  Would be nice if AARP and other organizations would promote this.

The SS # is now being removed from Medicare cards - we should all get a new Medicare number next year.

It should not be used for credit reporting or anything other than reporting taxes and the actual benefit.

Actually, we should just stop pretending the SS number is confidential when we have to give it to everyone including our doctors. Assume it is public knowledge 

Kudos
Views