Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Equifax hacked

Message 11 of 32

Yes, a little off topic but states' rights has led to state's wanting to retain discriminatory practices against minorites, continue to allow pollution of  a river  that may run on into the neighboring state, etc.  Can you imagine if each state got to decide the guage of railroad tracks ---  so the railroad is going through Nevada with 5 feet between tracks and hits the Utah border where they are 6 feet apart.    How about having 52 different motor vehicle offices all doing things differently --- provides jobs but overall very inefficient.

On the Equifax thing, the internet is international so makes much more sense for the Federal government to regulate the protections companies and governmental bodies are keeping in place to protect people.

Burnhaven
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 32

Well Randy, I am glad that you have already realize that. The dream that a central government is bad for the country is ridiculous. You cannot have a country of over 300 M  people living in 50 different States with different rules and regulations. The country needs consistency and stability or we will have 50 different countries and no longer be the US of America.
Corporations may not like a Federal government telling them what to do, the they need the oversight of a Federal Government to see that abuses of power do not happen. 
There is no doubt that a Centralized government has many defects but no system is completely devoided of errors or faults but is better that not having one.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 32

This is another example of how viewing government regulation as "nanny government" gets us all into trouble.  Corporate managers are always going to be looking for the cheap way out -- be it installing proper security controls, pollution controls, hiring illegal aliens, making loans to those who can't afford them and on and on and on.

Level the playing field.  If ALL companies have to have the latest anti-virus / anti-hacking tools installed ( with semi-annual verifications by a regulatory body )  then the cost of doing business is leveled.  If you leave it up to the goodness of their hearts to do it, company A will dump toxics in the river and skimp on internet security to save money and undercut the competition.

If all companies must toe the line in all of these areas ( or have their license to do business revoked ) , the cost is the same to all.   And this needs to be a federal government function -- states rights has it's place in some areas but I don't see this as one of them.

The only ones who can view government regulation as over-reach/nanny government are the wealthy who live on their own island.

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 32

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@umbarch64 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

More than likely they needed the manager to approve the correction and override what the computer said. 

Almost sounds like the store was trying to cheat and was hoping that you would not catch the 'error'.

I don't think either the cashiers or the managers had anything of the sort in mind in these instances...not unless they had a scam going that involved getting into the credit card computer system with them getting the kick-back.

The upper echelon policy makers and bean counters might have a system that would...that's a bit paranoid.  Considering the national examples presented to us daily, though, "just because you're feeling paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.". I'm being facetious.

More likely 'they' thought inconveniece for cash users would push people to use both plastic and 'conveniences' more.  I bet that came up at board meetings.

Complexity enables dishonesty.  Makes it far easier to point the finger at someone or somthing other that that guy in the mirror when things do go sideways.

Our society is changing.  Skills and abilities nearly everyone once had have been lost.  In these instances, something did not work right within the technical system.  Once a person directly involved could 'put it right'.  No longer.  The system set up for your convenience now controls you.   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 32

@umbarch64 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Boy, this is getting to be a real PIA.  Maybe we should go back to using cash, then the merchants can give us the cash back right at time of purchase.

That won't work either.

Friend went to a DAIRY QUEEN and ordered ice cream for his wife and himself. They assembled his order and put it on the counter; and he gave them correct change.

They said, "We are not accepting cash today."

Now, they may have been having a register problem or ran out of receipt paper but to not accept legal tender of the United States????

He left the ice cream on the counter and went elsewhere.

Interesting bit of social change going on here.  More and more retailers are getting away from 'cash' transactions.....reason I say that is that a few I deal with regularly now 'discorage' payment by cash or check and prefer 'on-line' transfers from your personal account.  You must have come across it.  Hard to avoid. 

As a side note to your DQ story.....in three different stores with different people involved, I made a fairly big purchase and paid with cash....the paper bill kind. In each case.  The 'change' handed me was wrong. The amount shown as tendered on the screen was right'.  'Change due back' was wrong. The cashier[s], she/he/he, had to call the 'manager' to 'check the transaction' and get it right.

I took that to mean the cashier either did not have enough confidence in their own arithmetic to 'do it right' OR the authority to 'fix' the error.  It MIGHT have been store policy.  But enough of that stuff and you might find it way easier to just plug in the card and go home.  Hey....whatever works....right?

Convenience counts, so I'm told.  Feeds the bottom line too.  

But....what about that cashier...what was it she/he/he learned in school?  And what about the store who put a person who apparently was shaky on subtraction in charge of customer payment? 

More than likely they needed the manager to approve the correction and override what the computer said. Almost sounds like the store was trying to cheat and was hoping that you would not catch the 'error'.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 32

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Boy, this is getting to be a real PIA.  Maybe we should go back to using cash, then the merchants can give us the cash back right at time of purchase.

WE NEED TO STOP USING THE SS# AS AN IDENTIFIER - Are you listening in Washington.  Would be nice if AARP and other organizations would promote this.

The SS # is now being removed from Medicare cards - we should all get a new Medicare number next year.

It should not be used for credit reporting or anything other than reporting taxes and the actual benefit.

Actually, we should just stop pretending the SS number is confidential when we have to give it to everyone including our doctors. Assume it is public knowledge 

The only reason doctors or anybody else needs it is because we don't pay them at the time of service.  Doctors use it, just like other medical providers or anybody else, that is, extending you services without payment when the service is performed.

Once the Medicare numbers are changed and some other government provided healthcare, the only reason for medical providers to have a SS # is for possible collections.

Right. the govt assigns that number at birth now so corporations can find you if you skip a bill.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 32

@nctarheel wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

That won't work either.

Friend went to a DAIRY QUEEN and ordered ice cream for his wife and himself. They assembled his order and put it on the counter; and he gave them correct change.

Now, they may have been having a register problem or ran out of receipt paper but to not accept legal tender of the United States????

Interesting bit of social change going on here.  More and more retailers are getting away from 'cash' transactions.....reason I say that is that a few I deal with regularly now 'discorage' payment by cash or check and prefer 'on-line' transfers from your personal account.  You must have come across it.  Hard to avoid. 

As a side note to your DQ story.....in three different stores with different people involved, I made a fairly big purchase and paid with cash....the paper bill kind. In each case.  The 'change' handed me was wrong. The amount shown as tendered on the screen was right'.  'Change due back' was wrong. The cashier[s], she/he/he, had to call the 'manager' to 'check the transaction' and get it right.

I took that to mean the cashier either did not have enough confidence in their own arithmetic to 'do it right' OR the authority to 'fix' the error.  It MIGHT have been store policy.  But enough of that stuff and you might find it way easier to just plug in the card and go home.  Hey....whatever works....right?

Convenience counts, so I'm told.  Feeds the bottom line too.  

But....what about that cashier...what was it she/he/he learned in school?  And what about the store who put a person who apparently was shaky on subtraction in charge of customer payment? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 32

This is for Gail only.
Gail I now have an Advantage plan but seriously considering a suplemental because the Advantages are not providing the benefits that they used to. I am considering a plan F and also a prescription medicine insurance.
Am I making sense? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 32

@GailL1 wrote:

That won't work either.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 32

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"....Have you frozen your credit so that no one can open an account without your knowledge - at least the ones where they do check your credit before issuing a credit card - store card may not check....".

We're on it this morning. My understanding is that we must freeze our credit on all three sites to be covered.

Yes, that is right - each will give you a confirmation and a password for you to use to "unthaw" your credit if the need arises - the "thaw" can be time limited also.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views