Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 11 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

You are correct. It has nothing to do with genealogy, just further proof of the Republicans' hypocrisy.

And of course making remarks that are entirely unrelated to the topic is a sure-fire way of turning others off to the topic they post about. 

Speaking of the negative traits of political opinion one would suppose that your remarks wasn't meant to inform or persuade but to irritate.  And yes, it did turn one more completely off against the poster's message and philosophy.

I think the topic is that in the 1980's, before she conceived of the Consumer Protection Bureau, before she was a Law Professor, before she was a Senator.......all the way back to her early college days she notified officials at the University of Pennsylvania and then Harvard claiming Native American heritage based on stories in her family. There was no proof she ever benefited or applied for any benefits based on these claims. Just that there was no way to prove she actually had Native American heritage. 

Trump then began using the "Pocahontas" slur which was very effective with his base but completely offensive to almost all Native Americans. (I dare you to drive over to the closest reservation and call the first woman you see Pocahontas).

I think that pretty much covers all the facts. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

What he tells you is the truth. It is a non thinking day and that is the far right fault.

Ever ready with the sarcastic comments?  It might be the truth according to you and the poster, but what does it have to with the topic?  Of course instead of being meant to be informative, it was meant more to be inflamatory.

Stop and think for a second. It was you who made the sarcastic comment to him, and then you complain when you get one back. What it has to do with the topic is you made it part of the topic when you replied to him. What he told you was true. I live in Indian country and spend time on the Res., and have friends who live on and off the Res. I have neighbors who are Native American. Why do you always want to start a fight when some one posts to you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 54

@Richva wrote:

You are correct. It has nothing to do with genealogy, just further proof of the Republicans' hypocrisy.

And of course making remarks that are entirely unrelated to the topic is a sure-fire way of turning others off to the topic they post about. 

Speaking of the negative traits of political opinion one would suppose that your remarks wasn't meant to inform or persuade but to irritate.  And yes, it did turn one more completely off against the poster's message and philosophy.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Here in New Mexico, we have the opportunity to drive past the Indian lands and see first hand how concerned the Republican administrations have been for the well being of the native American population. 

Of course that has nothing to do with genealogy but with one's obsession against an opposition political party.  i.e.  it's raining today....it's the Republicans fault.

You are correct. It has nothing to do with genealogy, just further proof of the Republicans' hypocrisy. I am pretty sure controlling everything in government and having to put up a "closed" sign would be the Republicans' fault.  Unless you go with the theory that Republicans are all snowflakes at the mercy of  the stable genius' on the Democratic side?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 54

@MIseker wrote:

so the millions of people that say they are heinz 57.. a very common term in this area, should have NO anecdotal history to share? My wife claimed cherokee heritage..her parents being dustbowl okies to calif..her dad was orphaned at 3, was raised by different family members, and..the court house with the records burned down.

Depends on when he was born.  There are census records of those relatives.   A grandmother was orphaned at a young age.  She was taken in by a relative with a different surname.  I found her in the census records and was able to identify a paper trail of ancestry.

Check through Cherokee records, but of course there were other tribes in Oklahoma besides Cherokee.  Do a google for census records of Indian Territory.  You can even trace him back to later census reports from the 1940 census by name.  Check with a local library.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 54

@john258 wrote:

What he tells you is the truth. It is a non thinking day and that is the far right fault.

Ever ready with the sarcastic comments?  It might be the truth according to you and the poster, but what does it have to with the topic?  Of course instead of being meant to be informative, it was meant more to be inflamatory.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 54

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Here in New Mexico, we have the opportunity to drive past the Indian lands and see first hand how concerned the Republican administrations have been for the well being of the native American population. 

Of course that has nothing to do with genealogy but with one's obsession against an opposition political party.  i.e.  it's raining today....it's the Republicans fault.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 54

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 54

@Epster wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 Yes, DNA plus documentation gets the truth beyond the lore.

Many highlanders were displaced, moved south, so a family living in Ireland isn't necessarily Irish. The great news is that church, birth, marriage, death, military, shipping manifest and census records can be enormously valuable in the quest for separating fact from fiction.

Of course those records you mention are somewhat hard to find.  It's immaterial to me since I have documented both our paternal and maternal lines back as far as possible.  Further, I have read that DNA is inconclusive as far as establishing ancestry to a particular group.  But they can point to the BEST GUESS as to where a person's ancestors came from.

Census records in this country is mostly useful beginning when the names of family members were included, and then mostly for Whites, where Indians and Slaves were only indicated by numbers.  Of course the earlier census are useful where names of the household heads are known along with the approximate ages of family members.

Family researchers have documented both paternal and maternal ancestors, some back to the middle Ages depending on social and royal status.  Through correspondence with other researchers I've also recorded associated members such as females who were mostly left out of documentation.

And interesting tidbit is that the early Scots came from Ireland

The problem with Warren's claim is that she has presented it based solely on family lore without taking the steps to establish a paper trail.  That trail indicates that my Cherokee ancestor was six generations back.  Even professional genealogists aren't certain to find documentation.  The National Archives and the LDS files are the best place to find this documentation.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 54

@easyed598 wrote:

Richva wrote-I see shutting down the government also cuts off federal food and nutritian programs for Seniors and for Native Americans.  I guess the Republicans are just showing their level of concern.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I guess Shumer is showing his level of concern by not  giving Trump a victory  for something he and most Democrats advocated just a few months ago. Good thing you`re rich so you don`t have to worry about it.

I believe its your ingrained thinking Ed. You need to go read the entire timeline. Trump did change his mind several times in since last fall, and pulled back from what he offered then. The Republicans have followed Trump all the way on this...changeing what was on the table to doublecross the Dems. Its been Trump and his synchophants all along that have been working toward a shut down. But i can understand how not having proper background can cause someone to misunderstand this  right?

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors