Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Elizabeth Warren Has Native American Heritage

Message 1 of 107

Elizabeth Warren Has Native American Heritage

I've been trying to think about this subject from an indigenous People's point of view.

Some  appear to be really  miffed when  people  claim ancestry  " I'm part ( insert tribe name here)."

Even if that person does not claim tribal affiliation or uses that family story to gain some advantage.

Even if that person uses that family story to point out racism against indigenous people using her own family as an example.

My own experience is when I was 16 my parents and I went to visit relatives in Nebraska and I was shocked to hear them talk about Native Americans the way racist whites talked about Blacks back east. Being from the east coast I grew up thinking Native Americans were " cool " , that was a real eye opener for me.

When Europeans came to North American there were an estimated 12 million indigenous people living here. By the early 1900s 90% of that population had died, some call that genocide.

Some argue most were killed by the diseases brought by Europeans, up to 80%, but still that would mean millions of indigenous people were killed by violence. It would still qualify as genocide.

There has also been a effort to wipe out the culture of indigenous peoples, ethnocide, in North America, ( Tibet and Mongolia too)  forcing indigenous people to " fit in" with force, through schools, reservations, economic pressures.

Indigenous people might see a claim to heritage, even if proved with a DNA test, as a form of ethnocide, even though those critics are Americans and live a European ancestry lifestyle themselves.

They say "  imitation the sincerest form of flattery"  but it would appear claiming heritage strikes a nerve for some indigenous people. Perhaps that has to do with enthocide and how different tribal cultures have been greatly diminished.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 107

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

According to the Boston Globe the average white person of European descent has more Native American in them than she does. So, her 1/1,024th hardly qualifies for either her claimed "minority status" nor "passing the test".

Please post a link to the Boston Globe article that says "the average white person of European descent has more Native American in them than she does" and "her 1/1,024th". Thank you.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/10/16/elizabeth-warren-typical-white-person/6b3qMUGf8ivlOtW...

Thank you for the link. However, that opinion piece does not say that "the average white person of European descent has more Native American in them than she does" nor does it mention anything about "her 1/1,024th".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 107

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Nothing new.   Enuf said.  Nutshell closed!

I agree except with this nut being closed.  He is never going to stop pushing negative racial propoganda into our culture.  He made his career from cooking that smut.

She won this round against her self-proclaimed opponent, her president.  She tells him two things, on behalf of America.  Stop hiding your money and your taxes.  And she walks away.  There IS work to be done.

dt all by himself gave Warren the opportunity/challenge to put his money and taxes in the spot light by making her balance them against her own genetic heritage.

3rd grade, I'm telling the truth and you are not.  I'm certain there is no dust on her shoes. 

It was her who claimed the minority status - not him. And taxes????

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 107

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

Here's the  bottomline to this whole debate:

Senator Warren has DNA proof of Native American Heritage.

Blah, blah, blah!

Donald Trump has refused to acknowledge the bet he made?

Blah, blah, blah!

Warren reiterated his vow to pay $1,00,000.00 to her fav charity following the DNA testing.

He said he never said that.

Blah, blah, blah!

Truth is  Donald J. Trump is a con man and a liar.

Blah, blah, blah!

You forgot, "She has less Native American blood than the average European American - blah, blah, blah.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 107

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

This is just another example of how trump lies, how he attacks and makes no apologies after being proven wrong, how he breaks promises, and how he most always weasle's out of making a charitable contribution.

President Trump has kept more of his campaign promises that any other president in my lifetime.  

You need to watch the tape from the rally in its entire context.  

Stop listening to the left wing media and look it up for yourself.  The information is available for those that want to know the truth.  Some folks are content being spoon fed by CNN or MSNBC but it is your choice.

Your claim in your first paragraph is only true if you are less than two years old.

How does the fulfilling of campaign promises relate to the age of posters???

See, that is what happens when one opts for "insult" rather than "discuss".

So why did you choose to insult rather than discuss? 

"Your claim in your first paragraph is only true if you are less than two years old" - these were not my words.

If if it is true that “Trump has kept more of his campaign promises than any other president in [his] lifetime” then he obviously has never lived under any other President since Trump has kept hardly any of his campaign promises. I do realize that Trump supporters believe that he has kept most of his promises because they accept most of Trump’s lies as factual.

Did I say, "more than any other President"? How typical - make something up, decide "I realize", and then complain about it.

As far as I perceive things, his supporters voted for him based on his promises indicating his ideology and are satisfied with his performance in office.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 107

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

According to the Boston Globe the average white person of European descent has more Native American in them than she does. So, her 1/1,024th hardly qualifies for either her claimed "minority status" nor "passing the test".

Please post a link to the Boston Globe article that says "the average white person of European descent has more Native American in them than she does" and "her 1/1,024th". Thank you.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/10/16/elizabeth-warren-typical-white-person/6b3qMUGf8ivlOtW...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 107

I agree except with this nut being closed.  He is never going to stop pushing negative racial propoganda into our culture.  He made his career from cooking that smut.

She won this round against her self-proclaimed opponent, her president.  She tells him two things, on behalf of America.  Stop hiding your money and your taxes.  And she walks away.  There IS work to be done.

dt all by himself gave Warren the opportunity/challenge to put his money and taxes in the spot light by making her balance them against her own genetic heritage.

3rd grade, I'm telling the truth and you are not.  I'm certain there is no dust on her shoes. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 107

Here's the  bottomline to this whole debate:

Senator Warren has DNA proof of Native American Heritage.

Blah, blah, blah!

Donald Trump has refused to acknowledge the bet he made?

Blah, blah, blah!

Warren reiterated his vow to pay $1,00,000.00 to her fav charity following the DNA testing.

He said he never said that.

Blah, blah, blah!

Truth is  Donald J. Trump is a con man and a liar.

Blah, blah, blah!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 107

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

This is just another example of how trump lies, how he attacks and makes no apologies after being proven wrong, how he breaks promises, and how he most always weasle's out of making a charitable contribution.

President Trump has kept more of his campaign promises that any other president in my lifetime.  

You need to watch the tape from the rally in its entire context.  

Stop listening to the left wing media and look it up for yourself.  The information is available for those that want to know the truth.  Some folks are content being spoon fed by CNN or MSNBC but it is your choice.

Your claim in your first paragraph is only true if you are less than two years old.

How does the fulfilling of campaign promises relate to the age of posters???

See, that is what happens when one opts for "insult" rather than "discuss".

So why did you choose to insult rather than discuss? 

If if it is true that “Trump has kept more of his campaign promises than any other president in [his] lifetime” then he obviously has never lived under any other President since Trump has kept hardly any of his campaign promises. I do realize that Trump supporters believe that he has kept most of his promises because they accept most of Trump’s lies as factual.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 107

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

Also from the snopes article:

"In the most exhaustive review undertaken of Elizabeth Warren’s professional history, the Globe found clear evidence, in documents and interviews, that her claim to Native American ethnicity was never considered by the Harvard Law faculty, which voted resoundingly to hire her, or by those who hired her to four prior positions at other law schools. At every step of her remarkable rise in the legal profession, the people responsible for hiring her saw her as a white woman."

Read it again (particularly the last part and the U. Penn part).

Please read the Boston Globe article

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors