Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Electoral College

Message 1 of 33
What poll said that most liberals live in the cities?
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

NOTHAPPENING: Here is how they vote geographicly:

And here is a population density map (darker represents higher density). You'll see the darkest shades correspond with the blue on your map. It means the blue areas have higher populations which means more voters. Personally, I have never seen an acre of land at my polling place.

Image result for current us population density map

When the Constitution was signed, the map looked a lot like it does now, of course much more populations in both cities and rural areas and they didn't have an acre voting then either.  In order for the rural areas to count, they decided in their vast wisdom to have the electoral system which meant every place had their leverage instead of the cities picking ALL politicians.  Since most liberals live in the cities, liberals think the founders were wrong.

Here are the facts on why we have the electoral voting system. 1. You had to own property to vote, had to be male, and white. 2. They did this to keep the uneducated, and others they thought would corrupt the vote and lead to bad government. Lets move forwarded to today. One of the groups  the founders were afraid would corrupt the vote have become the far right and per the experts proved the founders correct as they have given us Dictator Trump. The experts tell us the far right trump supporters are mostly rural, white, low income, uneducated, easy to lead.

Suggestion for John: stop listening to all your experts on CNN and MSNBC because they know a lot less than you do.

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

NOTHAPPENING: Here is how they vote geographicly:

And here is a population density map (darker represents higher density). You'll see the darkest shades correspond with the blue on your map. It means the blue areas have higher populations which means more voters. Personally, I have never seen an acre of land at my polling place.

Image result for current us population density map

When the Constitution was signed, the map looked a lot like it does now, of course much more populations in both cities and rural areas and they didn't have an acre voting then either.  In order for the rural areas to count, they decided in their vast wisdom to have the electoral system which meant every place had their leverage instead of the cities picking ALL politicians.  Since most liberals live in the cities, liberals think the founders were wrong.

Here are the facts on why we have the electoral voting system. 1. You had to own property to vote, had to be male, and white. 2. They did this to keep the uneducated, and others they thought would corrupt the vote and lead to bad government. Lets move forwarded to today. One of the groups  the founders were afraid would corrupt the vote have become the far right and per the experts proved the founders correct as they have given us Dictator Trump. The experts tell us the far right trump supporters are mostly rural, white, low income, uneducated, easy to lead.

Suggestion for John: stop listening to all your experts on CNN and MSNBC because they know a lot less than you do.

I gave you facts which neither you nor I can change. Experts proved correct.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Electoral College

Message 3 of 33

I am far more conservative than Trump Cult members. I believe in:

• Free Trade
  • No Tariffs
  • No Bailouts for Farmers
  • Reducing the Deficit
  • Reducing the Debt
  • Supporting our NATO allies
  • Supporting Law Enforcement
  • Supporting U.S. Intelligence Agencies
  • The Rule of Law
  • The Constitution
  • etc.

All of the above were turned upside down by the Trump Cult, otherwise known as the Republican Party.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 33

@CriticalThinking wrote:

As you can see, I never mentioned liberal or conservative. By the way, Trump Cult members are not conservatives. In their world, anyone who opposes the pathological lying, non-stop insults, and array of felons in Trump World is a flaming liberal. I'm LOL because I'm more conservative than many of them. 

You're not more conservative than anyone on this forum.  Your constant use of the LOL and LMAO tells anyone that!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 33

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Not Happening is locked into his silly, irrelevant liberal versus conservative view of this issue (He sees everything in the world as liberal vs conservative). As I've repatedly stated, this is not a political issue, it's a right or wrong issue. 

If yo live in TN, KY, Kanasas, Wyoming, Miss. Utah, Idaho, Arkansas, Montona, etc. and you vote for the Democratic candidate, your vote is meaningless. 

If you live in NY, CA. NJ. Conn. Delaware, etc. and you want the Republican candidate to win, your vote is meaningless. Is that what we want in the 21st Century? I don't think so.

However, if there's a popular vote, it doesn't matter where you live because your vote actually matters. 

Critical is locked into his liberal way of thinking that the liberal cities should control the U.S.  Just continue voting for liberals and see what happens as your standard of living decreases.

So it's "liberal" to want a true democracy?

I thought you knew we weren't a Democracy but a Republic!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Not Happening is locked into his silly, irrelevant liberal versus conservative view of this issue (He sees everything in the world as liberal vs conservative). As I've repatedly stated, this is not a political issue, it's a right or wrong issue. 

If yo live in TN, KY, Kanasas, Wyoming, Miss. Utah, Idaho, Arkansas, Montona, etc. and you vote for the Democratic candidate, your vote is meaningless. 

If you live in NY, CA. NJ. Conn. Delaware, etc. and you want the Republican candidate to win, your vote is meaningless. Is that what we want in the 21st Century? I don't think so.

However, if there's a popular vote, it doesn't matter where you live because your vote actually matters. 

Critical is locked into his liberal way of thinking that the liberal cities should control the U.S.  Just continue voting for liberals and see what happens as your standard of living decreases.

So it's "liberal" to want a true democracy?

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Here is how they vote geographicly:

2016 US Presidential Election Map By County & Vote Share

The map you post doesn't in any way show that the Electoral Vote process reflects the will of the majority of the people in the United States. If the colors were flipped you would support the popular vote because it would favor Republicans.

When the Electoral vote does not have the same result as the popular vote it simply is not reflecting the will of the majority of voters in the United States. In modern day politics this is happening far to often.

No, you are correct.  The map mirrors the way the electoral system WORKS giving fair representation to those who don't live in the overcrowded liberal cities.  If popular vote were the law of the land, many people wouldn't even vote since the cities would have their way, and farmers, cattle ranches, and others in rural America would have no say in America. Cities would be making laws that don't make sense in the other parts of the U.S.

For all individual votes to be equal (but equal doesn't matter to trump supporters) the popular vote should count. The Electoral Vote circumvents democracy and causes individual votes in small states to carry more weight than individual votes in larger states.

Do you expect the people that live in 80% of the U.S. to accept laws made by the 20% (overcrowded cities)?  That's the situation you have if the popular vote were used.

Everyone can't be happy.  You are unhappy with Trump.  I was unhappy with Obama.  I accept the good with the bad and I realize that some think that my good is bad and some think as I do.

I expect everyone as individuals to accept what the majority of individuals Americans vote on. That is a democracy. The "situation" you would have if we went by popular vote is that the majority of Americans would decide who our president is.

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Electoral College

Message 8 of 33

As you can see, I never mentioned liberal or conservative. By the way, Trump Cult members are not conservatives. In their world, anyone who opposes the pathological lying, non-stop insults, and array of felons in Trump World is a flaming liberal. I'm LOL because I'm more conservative than many of them. 

The only issue they can discuss is red vs blue, anything else is too complex for them.

For the umpteent time, this is a RIGHT or WRONG ISSUE, it has nothing to do with one's politics. If you want everyone's vote to count, you should support a popular vote. If you want a small handful of states controlling the election, keep the 1790 Electoral College in place. 

Read my last post which explains how many people's vote are rendered meaningless with the Electoral College system.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 33

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Electoral College

Message 10 of 33

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors