Honored Social Butterfly

Effect Of Corporate Dollars In Washington

Anyone else here think of the influence of Big Corporate's and the 1%'s  $Billions$ that are spent on lobbying and in our elections in Washington?  Does anyone else here think of the influence it has over the Congress persons residing over the Senate Impeachment Trial?

I certainly do, for one. The $Billions that Big Corporate and the 1% spends (disclosed and undisclosed) in our elections and in lobbying handcuffs our Washington Representatives and keeps them beholding to the benefit of the 1% and Big Corporations rather than the welfare of our society as a whole and the 99%. Their dollars literally have purchased our Congress, our lawmaking process. This is a form of Fascism. Of course the 1% and major corporations don't want to see tRump removed or the recent tax cuts that they have been given. They certainly don't want to see any Progressives in Congress or the White House and their $Billions$ assure that.

The number one things that need to be changed are the rules and laws regulating lobbying and serious campaign finance reform. The ultimate would be public funded elections likened to what Canada has. We, the general public, pay the Billions spent in our elections anyway because all of the Corporate money spent is recovered from the public through the prices charged of their goods and services. Our government pays for services and goods from giant corporations and our tax dollars pay for it. The corporations spend part of those profits on lobbying our congress and financing their election campaigns. Goods and services we purchase privately from these corporations are handled in the same way.

WE pay for the $ Billions$ that are spent in our elections and in lobbying. WE would pay far less in public funded elections and our Congress would answer to us, the voters, instead of the 1% and our largest corporations. Only Progressives will change this.

The cost of elections in Canada (compare the cost to the $Billions$ we spend here and the influence it would eliminate that the wealthiest have over our politicians):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_political_financing_in_Canada

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

About 20 - 25 years ago I began paying attention to money in U.S. politics and the effect it has in Washington. I consider it my #1 important issue. 

I was talking to a Democratic friend of mine and she didn't consider money in politics a big deal. Then I pointed out the NRA. She agreed about the NRA but claimed that is a unique case. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:

About 20 - 25 years ago I began paying attention to money in U.S. politics and the effect it has in Washington. I consider it my #1 important issue. 

I was talking to a Democratic friend of mine and she didn't consider money in politics a big deal. Then I pointed out the NRA. She agreed about the NRA but claimed that is a unique case. 

The Corporate and 1%'s $Billions$ in Washington is the root cause of all of our problems in Washington. It doesn't take much intelligence to see that.

Honored Social Butterfly

It continues to corrode our system. 
If we want improvement in our government:

End citizens united and dark money

A stronger FEC

Abolish the electoral college 

Ban lobbyists

Regain control of the DOJ

May not be perfect, but is probably a very good start. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

It continues to corrode our system. 
If we want improvement in our government:

End citizens united and dark money

A stronger FEC

Abolish the electoral college 

Ban lobbyists

Regain control of the DOJ

May not be perfect, but is probably a very good start. 

Progressives are the only ones that would actually do any of those things listed, most especially Corporate money in lobbying and in our elections.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png